Sikhism

Have you ever heard about Sikhism?

• Yes I have heard about Sikhism

Votes: 116 95.1%
  • No I have never heard about Sikhism

Votes: 6 4.9%

• Total voters
Yes again after Indhira Ghandi was assinated by her Sikh body gaurds the *******s rioted instead of partying and killed a bunch of Skihs.

Agree absolutely with much of the above.

I'm amazed that the Sikhs/Sikhism were left out as a people/religion. Would have added a very interesting martial race with v cool unique units.....

The Nihang, the ultimate Sikh soldiers (18th century?) - elite battle hardened, fearless fighters that their enemies were absolutely terrified of. And then the British trained later Sikh soldiers with modern arms.

Cultivating the Northern Indian area proved to be the British army's shrewdest move. As well as the scary Sikh regiments, we also acquired the Gurkhas (who originated from India, mostly).

Pretty much all of what has been said about Sikhs and Sikhism is true here. I'll throw in somemore observations.

The synthesis of Hindu and Muslim theologies achieved by Sikhism can be broken down broadly as follows. Sikhism threw out polythesim and embraced a one God philosophy. It also identifies itself as a religion of the book and every Sikh Gurdwara (temple) contains their holy text which is revered and included in most ceremonies through a Sikh's life.

Sikhism also sought to rid itself of Hindu caste system shackles, but this has not been done with any widesprad success. Sikhs in India and abroad are still woefully conscious of their place in society. This is evidenced by their choices of names. Many you will meet abroad choose to called themselves Singh (which afaik means lion). But they have other names which they don't choose to use, because these denote where they are from (mostly villages in the Punjab) and also what profession/caste they belong to. This seriously affects their marriage habits is imo a sad failing of the society and not the religion.

The antagonism that Sikhs show toward Muslims and Hindus (in a lesser sense, for the reasons already given) has a few facets to it. There are the Mughal roots of Sikhism as mentioned, there are the Indhira Gandhi and British connections mentioned. It's also worth noting that the location of most of the upheavals of Partition meant that it was mostly Sikhs (along with Pakistanis) who entered into Britain and other Commonwealth countries after their homeland became unliveable in. So the Sikhs have been buffered about a bit by various groups in their history.

These all result in what can almost be described as a parallel social situation as the Irish hold in Britain. In Indian and Indian communities it can be common to find jokes such as the English make about the Irish, but directed at 'Suthars', 'Sutharjis', 'Turbo Chargers', Sikhs basically. Aside from the stupidity jibes, there are digs at their turbans, supposed randiness / drunkeness / general recklessness. There are also jokes about their entrepreneurial skills. Such as "When the Titanic sank, they found a Sikh shop on the bed of the Atlantic Ocean, in preparation for this niche in the subaquatic retail market."

Their musicianship is noteworthy alongside their martial traditions. It's Bhangra that rocks their parties and it's electrifying stuff. A mate of mine, a Welsh bloke called Rhys funnily enough, married a Sikh girl. He got carted into the reception on the shoulders of these bearded giants dressed in golden tassled outfits and turbans. Accompanying them was a troop of Dhol drummers (the tubular drum that gets whacked by two curved sticks on either side) cranking out an infectious beat. They certainly do their weddings and parties in style. It's also worth noting that the recently successful radio and TV comedy show 'Goodness Gracious Me', was almost entirely written, produced and performed by British Asians from the Sikh community.

Finally, I wanted to mention the fundmentals of the Sikh faith, because in reading these points below, you can see how the Islamic and Hindu ideologies have been fused together.
Guru Gobind Singh Sahib defines the Khalsa :

"He who repeats night and day the name of Him,
Who has full love and confidence in God,
Who bestows not a thought on anv but one God,
Whose enduring light is inextinguishable,
Who puts no faith in fasting and worshipping cemeteries and monasteries,
Who only recognises the one God and makes no fetish, Of pilgrimages,
alms, charities and austerities:

He is recognised as a true member of theKhalsa,
In whose heart the light of the Perfect One shines."

Guru Gobind Singh Sahib laid down the following duties for the Khalsa :

I. The Khalsa is to worship one God and read Nitname (Five Banis) and daily meditate on the Name.

II. He is to keep the symbols (Panj Kakar) and to lead his life according to the Guru's teaching. Gurmantra is Waheguru and the Basic creed is Mool-manlra.

III. He has no caste after joining the brother-hood ; he has to repudiate non-Sikh rites and ceremonies, and follow only Sikh practices.

IV. He is not to commit 'any of the four misdeeds (Kurahat) namely, the shaving or cutting of hair, eating Halal meat, adultery and the use of tobacco or any other intoxi-cant.

V. He is not to commit any of the social offences (Tankhah), such as giving dowry, using liquors and intoxicants, raising monuments over graves and associating with apostates.

VI He must contribulc one-tenth {daswand) of his income for religious purposes.

VII He is to serve the sangat in all ways

VIII He must practice arms and be ready defend the weak.

http://www.sgpc.net/sikhism/sikhism4.html
These are the Panj Kakar (5 Ks), which are followed to varying degrees by modern day Sikhs. They also explain the reason for their turbans and other adornments.
The significance of Symbols-Panj Kakar- is given below :

I. Underwear {Kachha)
ensures agility and briskness. It is a mark of perpetual readi-ness. It also stands for chastity.

II. Wrist-band {Kara} is a sign of restraint and bondage. It indicates that one is a devotee of the Guru. A look at the wrist-band will bring shame to a Sikh when he does any misdeed.

III. Sword (Kirpan) is an emblem of power and courage. It is to be used primarily as an instrument of defence.

IV. Unshorn Hair {Kes) is an embtem of the saints and Rishis of the past.

V. Comb {Kanga} is necessary to keep the hair clean and in shape. The hair make a Khalsa look exactly like Guru Gobind Singh Sahib and enable him to behave exactly like the Guru. Guru Gobind Singh Sahib says, "The Khalsa is my special form ;I live in the embodiment of the Khalsa. The Khalsa is a part and parcel of my body ; the Khalsa is my very soul."

same source

FascistRepublic said:
I have. Its preety much screw Islam, Screw Hinduisim, this is what we belive.

That's a pretty warped view, and is absolutely not a Sikh view. Sikhism is in fact an entirely tolerant religion in that it is stated that a devout follower of another religion is simply following another path to God. In fact Islam is specifically in that context.

However, it is true to say that antagonism exists for a large number of Sikhs towards muslims in general because of the history of severe persecution and genocide suffered at the hands of the muslim moghuls.

It is in no way true to say that similar antagonism exists towards Hindus. If ever there was such antagonism it existed for a short spell following Operation Bluestar. It certainly does not exist now, nor before that.

I am a Sikh.

I find it very hard to believe that many people haven't heard of Sikhism (or Jainism for that matter). Although I also find it very hard to believe that there are more Sikhs in the world than, say, Daoists. There are more Christians in India than there are Sikhs!

But it's also true that their beliefs and practices aren't very prominent, even though they are. I remember that "Goodness Gracious Me" sketch about a young British Sikh asking his father to explain the religion, and the father says something along the lines of, "Sikhism is very simple. You need a man and a turban. That's it." And the son presses him, "But what about our history? Our philosophy? Our rich cultural traditions?" "No - man, turban, that's pretty much it..." etc.

Plotinus said:
But it's also true that their beliefs and practices aren't very prominent, even though they are.

That's because Sikhism has no missionary tradition. It is not a religion that seeks to preach to or convert more followers. This is of course in line with it's extremely tolerant stance towards other religions - in contrast with a number of other faiths.

I found an interesting verse by the 10th Guru, that symbolises the importance of the sword in Sikhism:

"O Sword, O Conqueror of continents,
O Vanquisher of the hosts of evil,
O Embellisher of the brave in the field of battle.
Thy Arms are unbreakable,
Thy Light refulgent,
Thy Glory and Splendor dazzle like the sun.
O Happiness of the holy,
O Crusher of evil intent,
O Subduer of sin, I seek Thy refuge."

I'd like to stress, that please take all works put in english as transliterations. Not direct translations. A lot of the meaning can actually be skewed or made to imply something else when taken out of the Gurkmukhi context.

Especially the Mool Mantar that is usually quoted on our definition of 'God'. We then get the definition of being a 'God-fearing' religion.

Sure I've heard. The waiter in my favourite restaurant is a Sikh. And surprisingl his name is Mr. Singh :) It's hard to believe anybody would not have heard about Sikhism, they're pretty eye-catching with their turbans and stuff. Jainism is of course much more obsure to most people, but that's a different matter.

I knew also that that their religion is some kind of syncretism of Hinduism and Islam, though I found it very hard to imagine what exactly that would look like. Some interesting reading on this thread, btw.

Sabretou said:
I know Sikhism, though I don't practice it. I'm Hindu, but I'm actually an agnostic.

So...what are you? :crazyeye:

Top Bottom