Simple questions, simple answers

Moderator Action: merged similar threads

Yeah, they'll pop up over normal improvements. Making an actual dig will wipe out whatever improvement was under it to start with, which is probably why they don't show up over GP improvements. If you don't make a landmark out of the site, you'll have to rebuild your improvement after you haul off the relic.

I once usurped Egypt's manufactory. :smug:

So I have a game running where England has -30 Happiness and I have 40 Happiness.
England follows Order and I follow Freedow. What exactly do I have to do to make them switch to Freedom?

So I have a game running where England has -30 Happiness and I have 40 Happiness.
England follows Order and I follow Freedow. What exactly do I have to do to make them switch to Freedom?

Normal Happiness doesn't count, what only matters is Tourism, you need to ger more tourism than Lizzie has culture.

This may seem obvious but I missed it somewhere in the mix.

Is the UN still a buildable world wonder? Or is it just an extension of the World Congress in newer eras? I didn't see it as a wonder to be built under Globalization where it used to be and I didn't see it under any other tech that I looked at. Figured this is the type of question for a "simple questions, simple answers" thread. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

This may seem obvious but I missed it somewhere in the mix.

Is the UN still a buildable world wonder? Or is it just an extension of the World Congress in newer eras? I didn't see it as a wonder to be built under Globalization where it used to be and I didn't see it under any other tech that I looked at. Figured this is the type of question for a "simple questions, simple answers" thread. Any help is appreciated. Thanks

The UN automatically begins once the World COngress has been founded, and it has reached the Modern Era (Either half the CIvs are modern, or someone has reached atomic)

Please explain how the theming bonus system works. I have a +6 bonus in one of my wonders and it was through dumb luck. What do you look for in trying to maximize the tourism impact of a particular building?

Open the screen that deals with culture / tourism, choose the first of four tabs the one on the left. Find a museum or something that holds more than one great work, beside the little boxes that hold the great works move your mouse pointer. Not over the boxes but just a little to the right of the little boxes that hold the works. A popup / mouseover will appear. It will say something like:

"To get the theme bonus you need two works of art from your civilization from the same time period or two works of art from two different civilizations and two different time periods."

Then if you trade (swap) you might be able to complete it. I'm not sure how or even why the AI wants to swap but they often have something available to swap, before swapping look at all your own other cultural buildings on the screen and see if just by moving stuff locally you get the bonus.

I've only completed 1.9 games but I have gotten bonuses by carefully moving my works and swapping for others. The AI can swap with each other I think. I've seen a little icon telling me a swap has occurred.

I have a question about great works of music.

The only basic building that I can find to put them into is the opera house.

One would think that they could go into more buildings since more buildings can house other types of great works.

Music can go into the Broadway wonder. Are they any other buildings that can house music?

Thx .. neilkaz ..

Radio broadcast towers can hold a great work of music.

It is definitely hard to house some Great Works, you can turn some Great Artists into Golden Ages, musicians can go on tour. I always produce great works but I've never one a cultural victory, given how tourism works you might not be bad off sending your musician on tour.

If someone loves your culture, I believe it is a relationship bonus, the World Council / UN is so important, my longstanding loyalty to Patronage seems even more justified. That said just wads of cash works too to buy City State resources and votes.

2) Do Triplanes/Fighters etc. work properly now? Does the AI use them?

I don't see that many Triplanes, but the AI loves WW 1 bombers, I even see them put them on Aircraft Carriers. Dido had a fleet of Aircraft Carriers loaded with WW1 bombers and they tried to take an island Cologn with, they managed to fail, but I was near by so I watched them repeatedly bomb Cologn. The Germans fought back with their own bombers, bombing the carrier, they also got WW2 bombers at some point during the war.

One thing I noticed yesterday is subs can shoot 3 hexes, when did that happen? I also learned prior to BNW at some point subs were upgraded in a patch to be able to go under ice.

Subs are now worth building, I still prefer battleships, but subs are often available sooner and are cheaper.

They are revealed upon discovery of archeology. You won't miss them ;) Some will remain hidden until you decide to complete Exploration policy tree.

My question is:
Can I track progress of world projects (olympic games and the fair)?

Ah. I was hoping you could go to the resources view thing and see them a bit easier, or just set archaeologists to auto find them, but ah well. Thanks!

Still wrestling with the first game, but two questions which are probably pretty easy for more experienced players to answer:

1. Ideology: After you choose your first tenet (s) do you then have to expend culture to get more at the expense of social policies?

Yes an ideology tenet is equivalent to a social policy. To complete an entire ideology is a lot of work and I'm not sure it is worth it as once you cherry pick your favourite level 3, starting back on level 1 traits becomes less and less exciting.

The ideology has a big effect on deplomacy and you can get a free tenet, even 2 if you follow an ideology early. I adopted the first ideology in my first game of BNW then all the AI adopted a different one. So I was at a disadvantage in diplomacy for the rest of the game.

My second game I wasn't so quick up the tech tree as I was no longer Babylon. So when it came time to pick my ideolgy rather than pick Freedom or Order my probably prefered Idelogies I took Autocracy because my most important trading partner and ally was Autocracy.

Not sure it was a net win, but I didn't spend too much time on Autocracy went and started another social tree as I thought those bonuses were more useful.

Someone somewhere said you can declare war without penalty if someone stole your tech... Is that true?

Yes, you can track progress. If you are building it in one or more cities, just hover the cursor over the project icon on the city info bar. The tooltip will show the relevant data.
Oh, right, thanks. It's under the "add to queue" button and I was trying to hover over the large progress picture. Still, unfortunately, there's no easy way to determine the amount of production needed to claim the 1st spot (competitors' effort is not listed).

I was hoping you could go to the resources view thing and see them a bit easier, or just set archaeologists to auto find them, but ah well. Thanks!
Oh, yeah, that works as well. Ctrl+R and sites are marked in a similar way to resources.
There is no automation, though, and it's not a loss, because you wouldn't be using it. Archaeologists pop up at the same time as museums, so you need to control your excavation effort.

Someone somewhere said you can declare war without penalty if someone stole your tech... Is that true?
I've been declaring wars whenever a Walder Frey's impersonator stole one of my allied city states. Nobody seemed to mind, though. Even though Shoshone, who had just signed a research treaty with Venice.

Oh, right, thanks. It's under the "add to queue" button and I was trying to hover over the large progress picture. Still, unfortunately, there's no easy way to determine the amount of production needed to claim the 1st spot (competitors' effort is not listed).

The amount of production you need for the Silver prize is the total amount needed for the project divided by the number of civs still in the game when the project started(Bronze is half of Silver). So the cost for Silver times the number of civs will give you the total cost of the project (which I think is 2800 on Standard), and half of that will guarantee you Gold. 40% of that will very likely still get you Gold, after that it's starting to depend on how strong the other civs are.

When competing on the world fair, how does Venice works? Theres a way to put puppets to work on it?

When competing on the world fair, how does Venice works? Theres a way to put puppets to work on it?

Puppets will start working on the World Congress projects when they finish whatever they were building when the project became available. If you think they are going to take too long, you could probably get them to move to the project by buying what they are building, but I haven't tried that yet.

What is the title for Exploration?

If you are unsure, please go through the XML files, since it would be a good addition to the "What We Know About Brave New World" thread, which will be locked soon.

Top Bottom