Sleep

Loaf Warden

(no party affiliation)
Okay, the thread on fasting reminded me of something I've been wondering about awhile on that other great mandatory waste of time: sleep.

Back in high school, someone told me that if a person stays awake for 96 consecutive hours, they will die. He told me he tried it once to see if it was true; he called it the '96-Hour Death Marathon'. Naturally, my first question was, "What if it *did* turn out to be true, and you had died?" His response was that he figured he'd be able to recognize the signs of death early enough to cancel the marathon and go to bed.

Well, apparently his death marathon was a failure, because he told me he eventually gave up anyway; he just got too tired to keep it up. I don't remember how long he lasted, but from what he told me, his thoughts got more and more random, and while it seemed like a fascinating experiment, I never quite got up the nerve (boredom?) to try it myself.

Anyway, the point of this thread is to ask: Is there any truth to the basic premise of his 96-Hour Death Marathon? Is 96 hours about the amount of time a human can live without sleep? Is it even possible to make it that long, or will the body instinctively and involuntarily force the issue and fall asleep against your will, in the same way that it is impossible to kill yourself by simply holding your breath? Is there any record of someone living significantly longer than that without any sleep at all? Can permanent brain damage be caused by staying awake too long?

These questions are more to satisfy an idle curiosity than anything else. I no longer have any notions about attempting my own death marathon, and probably never really intended to even when I was young and dumb enough to consider it. :) Still, if anybody knows the real answers to any of these questions, I would appreciate the addition to my knowledge.

You can live if you go without sleep for 96 hours. But by that time, you probably will be suffering from hallucinations and plenty of other sleep-deprived difficulties.

i think by taking speed one can beat the 96 hr limit.

I've heard a different variant of this, which is that staying awake for that long can actually make you permanantly crazy.

I've heard staying awake that long is a sign that you're already crazy.

i think by taking speed one can beat the 96 hr limit.
Probably, and people who are bipolar can often for days at a time without sleeping. But I don't reccomend anyone try for this record. Staying awake for this long is not good. Sleep deprivation makes a person go insane and hallucinate. Some countries with less-than-stellar records of observing prisoners rights keep suspects up for days, since their lack of sleep makes them more susceptible to interrogation. And on that note, I think I'll heard to bed.

I stayed awake most of the mid-to-late '80's. It was expensive, tho.

edit: paranoia and hallucinations are vastly underrated.

A flatmate of mine told me that staying awake that long made you see "lot's of goblins and things", but he was seing a psychiatrist at the time, and suffered from depression and drink problems. He didn't get much sleep, so I wonder whether it's all connected.

The longest I worked without rest was 36 hours. I got very manic and decided that sleep = sanity.

Me and a friend tried a 48 hr sleep deprivation test recently - he had to have an EEG scan or something and they work better after 48 of no sleep apparently.

I gave up after 36 hrs through boredom - the only weird effects we noticed were that after the first night of no sleep we were both cripplingly horny - we could hardly concentrate on anything but women for more than a few minutes :confused: Eventually we took *ahem* action to cure this but otherwise there were no bad side effects.

I think you're at risk of dying after 96 hrs due to utter boredom and depression rather than anything else (or maybe chronic zinc deficiancy ;) )

I have had hallucinations from sleep deprivation. Thought my sis was gonna run over a raccoon. :rolleyes:

And when usin speed, I once went 65 hours with no sleep. Woke up Friday morning, went to school, after that, a party until Sunday night. Got home about 10pm that night and I was seriously depressed and tired. No hallucinations then though... I did lose 5 pounds in those 2 and a half days though... (not that I needed it)

I already did around 55 or 56 hours without sleep and with no drugs other then cafeine, I have trouble remebering the end... and I do 36 hours quite often mainly due civilization adiction... (please don't laught it's true)

I'm pretty sure that humans cannot die from sleep deprevation of 96 hours. But it's meanly certain that you won't be "fully living" after that kind of thing.

Stayed awake for 70/80 hours once. Still, it's not a good thing to do ; though you can recover easily in perhaps one or two night, sleep deprivation hurt your body deeply, and if you have bad sleeping habit for long, it can have effects that can be felt decades later.

I'm a chronic insomniac, and frequently go 36+ hours without sleep (amatterfact, if you check my posting record I do most of it past 3am :().

I remember something on the discovery channel about someone who couldn't sleep, but it was weeks before he died. I think that 'lets stay awake until we die' idea reminded me so much of High School kids and their big plans...

Thirty-six hours without sleep isn't all that difficult. I used to do it when I worked the night shift, especially at the end of the week if I were traveling on a weekend. Wake up at noon, work the 8PM to 4AM shift, catch a train at 6AM, reach my destination around mid-morning and stay awake till midnight.

Forty-eight hours or more is where it gets really difficult without artificial aids. That's about my record, and I've only done it once or twice in my lifetime.

When I was in college, some of the students in the "architorture" program were into severe sleep deprivation. I knew one young woman who would regularly stay awake for three or four days straight on No-Doz (and maybe other things; I really didn't want to know), then drink a bottle of vodka and pass out for the weekend. Not a healthy way to live, but then, this person had many problems.

I've always been a big proponent of regular sleep as a way to stay healthy and productive. I find I usually don't need much more than six hours, but I've very rarely missed a night's sleep since I abandoned shiftwork for the 9-to-5 world.

Top Bottom