So I just got OWNED by Barbarians...

SimaYi

Chieftain
Funny story. I wanted to play a quick match this morning, so I went with me and 3 other computers. I made it so the only victory condition is Conquest,and I used the Terra map. About an hour into the match, Barbarians are EVERYWHERE. I got 'There is an Enemy near (town near here)" every turn. Before I knew it, my Keshik's where owned by Swordsmen and Archers every turn. Is this because Conquest was the only victory conditon? Or perhaps the Terra map?

Note: I did NOT have Raging Barbarians checked.

What was the size of the map? If it was big with just 4 players(you and comp) theres a lot of room for barbs to develop.

I've really been unprepared in several games already for the barbarian threat... they really do wreak a lot more havoc than they did in either Civ3 or Civ2. Especially since they don't destroy production or take gold when they capture a city but rather just raze it to the ground. They also seem far more likely to actually kill your units than they used to...

SimaYi said:
Funny story. I wanted to play a quick match this morning, so I went with me and 3 other computers. I made it so the only victory condition is Conquest,and I used the Terra map. About an hour into the match, Barbarians are EVERYWHERE. I got 'There is an Enemy near (town near here)" every turn. Before I knew it, my Keshik's where owned by Swordsmen and Archers every turn. Is this because Conquest was the only victory conditon? Or perhaps the Terra map?

Note: I did NOT have Raging Barbarians checked.

I am playing inland sea on warlord only victory condition turned off is space race - 5 other civs. right now I have 4 cities and the hordes of barbaians sweeping down from the hinterlands is wild every turn "enemy is spotted, enemy is spotted" usually near 2 different cities. I can find a barbarian city, I cant make settlers because I have to keep making military units. I have an arhcer that had 3 promotions in the field and a barbarian axeman killed in in 1 blow. This is incredible -- I would rather fight another civ because with other civs you can eventually make peace. The barbabrians keep generating as long as there are squares with the fog of war or whatever. It's insane, but gosh I love it so.

I was playing a huge map with 2 AI civs and I had an entire continent to myself. I discovered in short order 3 Barbarian cities, but since I was going for a culture victory I did not actively pursue them. I just held my own against them as best as I could. Here's the scary part: they improve their technology. They go from warriors, archers and axemen to longbowmen and eventually, believe it or not, riflemen and grenadiers. They had those units defending their cities when I finally decided to chase them down with tanks, marines and bombers.

elderotter said:
I am playing inland sea on warlord only victory condition turned off is space race - 5 other civs. right now I have 4 cities and the hordes of barbaians sweeping down from the hinterlands is wild every turn "enemy is spotted, enemy is spotted" usually near 2 different cities. I can find a barbarian city, I cant make settlers because I have to keep making military units. I have an arhcer that had 3 promotions in the field and a barbarian axeman killed in in 1 blow. This is incredible -- I would rather fight another civ because with other civs you can eventually make peace. The barbabrians keep generating as long as there are squares with the fog of war or whatever. It's insane, but gosh I love it so.

Actually you might be able to expand without building settlers, just capture barbarian towns

Top Bottom