So what did you buy in the Steam Sale?

sherbz

Deity
I thought it might be interesting for people of the community to give short reviews of the games they bought in the recent steam sale. Who knows, you might read something that takes your fancy. Mine are:

Wasteland 2 Directors Cut

I am really enjoying this! Its a bit like how i always wanted fallout to be (certainly the latter iterations, where ammo and explosives are abundant, you can kill anything that moves as a level 1 welp, radiation is for pussies etc). And is quite similar to fallout 1 in its style. The combat is also well done and the mechanics are on a D & D level of sophistication. If you like games like fallout, baldurs gate and X Com, then this is probably worth a look.

The Talos Principle
I read the reviews on this game, which were all raving. And thought why not pick it up. My initial thoughts are that yes it is good, but i dont quite get how people are saying its better than portal. Maybe im missing something a bit down the track, so i am reserving judgement on this. But at the price its at, if you enjoyed portal, you will enjoy this.

Life is Strange
The big surprise of the sale for me. It has the emotional gravitas of the walking dead, and it solves that age old frustration that gamers have by wanting to know "i wonder what would happen if i said the opposite". In life is strange, you can do both. But there are consequences.

Heroes of Might & Magic 5
I do actually have this on disk somewhere. But digital download at this price makes sense IMO. I think this is probably the "best" heroes out there. Its not the one i have enjoyed most (thats still heroes 3 of course). But i think 5 is a solid 8/10 so worth picking up if you have not played already.

I really enjoyed the middle two, LiS most of all.

For my part, I picked up Marble Age and some DLC for Fallout 4.

I really enjoyed the middle two, LiS most of all.

For my part, I picked up Marble Age and some DLC for Fallout 4.

Im still on the fence about Fallout 4. I hated Fallout 3, and thought Fall Out New Vegas was passable. So i have sort of decided not to get fallout 4 unless there is a REALLY good deal out there. My problem with both, especially Fallout 3, was that its far too easy, far too unrealistic, and poorly written. Sort of put me off really.

Predynastic Egypt
Stumbled onto a youtube video of this game, and have found it pretty fun so far.

Pharoah + Cleopatra
Have had this on disk for a long time but after I bought the above this appeared so I got it.

Owlboy

Wanted this one for a while. Looks amazing.

Apotheon
Looks cool. Don't know if this is the sort of game I'd like but can't hurt to try.

Baldur's Gate 1 + 2
I always wanted this when I was a kid, even though I knew nothing about it. :D I'm just hoping that it is playable on modern PCs.

Im still on the fence about Fallout 4. I hated Fallout 3, and thought Fall Out New Vegas was passable. So i have sort of decided not to get fallout 4 unless there is a REALLY good deal out there. My problem with both, especially Fallout 3, was that its far too easy, far too unrealistic, and poorly written. Sort of put me off really.
The whole premise seems a bit unrealistic ;) I finished Fallout 3 - it was alright but not great. I bounced right off Fallout 4 though no matter what I did. Can't bring myself to play it again.

You should have got Pharaoh on GOG. Much better there. :p

Fallout 4 does have remarkable levels of Minecraft-style base building that you can spend hours doing without ever touching the main quest, but it does "double down" so to speak on the atompunk aesthetic, so if you thought its predecessor was unrealistic, you probably won't much care for it. The exploration is pretty outstanding, of course, but that's only to be expected from a Bethesda open-world game.

I bought Dungeon Painter, which looks pretty useful so far.

I picked up:

Offworld Trading Company - It's Soren Johnson. How can you go wrong with him?

Life is Strange Complete - I loved the first one when it was free, so why not get the others?

Far Cry 3 - This was cheap and I wanted to try it out, so I picked it up rather than Far Cry 4 or 5 which apparently are the same game, just more expensive

Homeworld: Deserts of Kharak - looks good and the girl on the package looks cute. Sort of reminds me of Kate Middleton.

Baldur's Gate 1 + 2
I always wanted this when I was a kid, even though I knew nothing about it. :D I'm just hoping that it is playable on modern PCs.
Yes, it is playable on modern PCs. They have fixed it up so it is. :)

That's a relief. I bought Dark Souls last year and that was literally unplayable and nowhere near as old so I was a little worried about this one.

You did get the enhanced edition didnt you? If so yes it works fine. Both fantastic games. But they dont hold your hand. I kind of miss that about RPGs these days. I liked it when the whole world was unlevelled. And if you went in the wrong cave then you would get slaughtered by whatever was in there. In modern RPGs you can pretty much do what you want in whatever order and theres no limiting factor at all. Which i think cheapens the experience.

You did get the enhanced edition didnt you? If so yes it works fine. Both fantastic games. But they dont hold your hand. I kind of miss that about RPGs these days. I liked it when the whole world was unlevelled. And if you went in the wrong cave then you would get slaughtered by whatever was in there. In modern RPGs you can pretty much do what you want in whatever order and theres no limiting factor at all. Which i think cheapens the experience.
I got the enhanced edition. :)

I love that about older RPGs. It sort of builds excitement as you finally reach the point where you can go to the super dangerous areas. Nowadays games have this "whole second place" you travel to in an attempt to get the same epic effect, but I can't think of a game which has done this where I haven't found it wanting.

Tales of Maj'Eyal - neat roguelike game that has a lot of interesting classes (Temporal Wardens and Paradox Mages!).

Dominions 4 - you are a Pretender God taking control over a historically inspired faction, duking it out with other Pretender Gods to ascend to Godhood. It is has a really neat research/magic system with more options than you could shake a stick at.

As much as I love the idea of time mechanics in games, I'm really not sure I have the patience for sprite-art rogue-likes these days.

I picked up Rocket League and Naruto Shippuden: Ultimate Ninja STORM 4 (complete), primarily as more games to play on my
Spoiler GPD Win :

I was originally going to see what to add from the Civilization series, but I already own literally everything available on Steam. I want to also give a shout-out for Offworld Trading Company, which I already own, as it's a great game and an absolute steal at US$7.99

Dominions 4 - you are a Pretender God taking control over a historically inspired faction, duking it out with other Pretender Gods to ascend to Godhood. It is has a really neat research/magic system with more options than you could shake a stick at.

I picked this one up as well, haven't played yet but looking forward to it.

I picked this one up as well, haven't played yet but looking forward to it.
It is quite intimidating when you first fire it up, so I would recommend just choose an easy nation (such as EA Abysia) and just mess around until you start to figure things out. Once you have a basic handle on the game you can mess around with the more exotic nations like Mitclan, Hinnom, or Atlantis.The game has an excellent online manual with a pretty good tutorial.

As much as I love the idea of time mechanics in games, I'm really not sure I have the patience for sprite-art rogue-likes these days.

Same. Maj eyal feels like a browser game, it just doesn't feel engaging. You have to have a lot of imagination for those to draw you in.

Warhammer Deathwing 90% off
Its not bad, reminds me of the old space crusade game

Most of my wishlisted games were really discounted enough
No rush I have a large backlog

Fallout 4 and planet coaster.

F4 is ok but hasn't really grabbed me.

Planet coaster is ok but I forgot I have no patience!

Top Bottom