So you call me a 'fanboi'

Dale

Mohawk Games Developer
So I've been called a 'fanboi' on numerous occasions to my posts here at CFC. Yes, I was a part of the Franky group who helped test Civ 5. Yes, I've been enjoying the game (to a point). Yes, I disagree with some of the rants against Civ 5.

But I am most definitely NOT a 'fanboi'. Let me outline my position:

I could go on about the bad combat AI, or the diplomacy, or the GUI, or lack of end game graphs and videos, or any number of other hashed out surface issues that afflict Civ 5. Instead, my problems with Civ 5 come down to only two game core points: immersion and maths.

Immersion:
Civ 5 lacks immersion. Consider that immersion roughly translates into "fun". When people say "oh the game is boring because I just click turn, turn, turn" and "the TV show in the background was more interesting", what people are trying to say is that Civ 5 lacks immersion. Immersion is simply keeping the player involved and interested in fun things within the game they are playing. Let me give you an example:

In Civ 4 it was an immersing and fun thing to build a huge army, but a tedious nightmare to micro-manage that army (movement of 50 units especially). This is where SoD's came into play. Civ 5 attempts to retain the immersion level of building an army, whilst trying to eliminate the unfun component (army management). Unfortunately what we've received is an unfun army building process, and a partly fun/unfun army management process.

Another example I could take is from an old game called Imperialism II. Resources were meaningful, in that you had to process resources into goods, such as furs into hats and iron ore into steel. These resources and goods would stockpile each turn, and almost everything you produced used these resources and goods. Luxuries would also go towards enabling more advanced citizens which would in turn provide more for your Empire. In Civ 5 though, resources are for the most part meaningless. Take iron, which after you get a few iron resources any additional ones are not needed. And for some games you can even go a majority of the game without iron at all. Similar for luxuries, the first of any type gives a happiness boost, but after that they are meaningless. If you have 1 or 10 of a luxury it still gives the same bonus.

I think ultimately what made Civ 4 BtS so successful, and so loved, is the immersion factor. Regardless of what was happening on the big screen, there were always some little sub-systems of the game to delve into to fill the quiet moments, such as religion, corporations or espionage. For Civ 5 however, we find that whilst the actual core gameplay hasn't changed 'that' much there is a lack of sub-systems to immerse oneself in during the quiet moments of the game. And I think this is critical, because it is this immersion level that Civ has been famous for, and the cause of the phrase One More Turn.....

Maths:
When I joined the Franky team, Civ 5 was about halfway through its development timeframe. Most (if not all) of the core foundations were already set in stone. The game as delivered failed in any number of core simple maths issues. Take the tech tree as one example.

When talking purely on beakers required, if you beelined for Biology at the start of the game, you would spend only 51% of the beakers required for Steam, even though they are at the same level and same power. Both techs open the exact same things in the policy tree, era level and other things, yet you could reach Biology in around half the time it would take to hit Steam. To me, this is a fundamental failure in simple core maths, and the tech tree was rife with these problems. Thankfully, the December patch fixed this particular one, but there are many examples of core simple maths destroying gameplay.

Another good example is the exponential food requirements as cities get bigger. Not only does it make bigger cities much slower to grow, since the science base rate is literally "number of population" it is literally better to grow a city from pop 1 to 2, than it is to grow a city from pop 10 to 11. The exponential science base rate growth from ICS is the core reason why ICS feels so natural in Civ 5. Regardless of whatever limitations are imposed on the game, whilst science base rate is linked to population count, with exponential food requirements for growth, ICS will ALWAYS be the more efficient option.

Conclusion:
So where does this put me on the "fanboi - hater" scale? Well..... in the middle. I love the ideas that Civ 5 is trying to deploy to the series, and essentially at its core the game functions the same as every other Civ. But the lack of immersion and the horrendous core mathematics are an abomination! IMO, the design is sound, and a very fun design. BUT, the implementation of that design leaves a lot to be desired.

So call me a 'fanboi' if you wish, but do so on the proviso that I'm a 'fanboi' of the ideas, not the implementation. :)

* To the Mods: please don't infract people for calling me a fanboi in this thread. Feel free in other threads though. ;)

And while you were beta testing for them, did you give them these feedbacks?

And while you were beta testing for them, did you give them these feedbacks?

Just want to point out, that no beta tester is able to answer questions regarding the testing process due to our NDA's. :)

Don't gimme that. There is no disclosure of confidential information. It's a simple yes no answer, and my question was largely rhetoric because you must have in some way or form feedback to them the issue (which is the function of a beta tester) and they have failed to act on it.

Either that or you have failed your duty as a beta tester.

In both cases, I don't see the point now of explaining your position with regard to this product unless somehow you are seeking closure through this.

And as a personal aside, you really shouldn't care what people have called you. Being called names is a norm on the internet and you should've developed enough resistance.

Gee. As another long-time member of the Frankenstein test group, let me clarify that our NDAs, among other stuff, specifically cover the discussions about the game that take place within the test group. With both Civ4 and Civ5, many people gave their best during testing, but none of them reveal publicly just what feedback they give.

Don't gimme that. There is no disclosure of confidential information. It's a simple yes no answer, and my question was largely rhetoric because you must have in some way or form feedback to them the issue (which is the function of a beta tester) and they have failed to act on it.

Either that or you have failed your duty as a beta tester.

In both cases, I don't see the point now of explaining your position with regard to this product unless somehow you are seeking closure through this.

And as a personal aside, you really shouldn't care what people have called you. Being called names is a norm on the internet and you should've developed enough resistance.

You answered your question yourself. ;)

And as a personal aside, I don't really care what people call me. I know it's the norm on the internet (and participate in the act myself from time to time too). What I don't care for is people telling others what they believe my position is (wrongly). :)

Dale, I always preferred Civ4's combat mechanics over your 'stacked combat' mod which was really quite bad, but not as bad as Civ5 ;)

Dale jumps the shark. Me? I am taking my talents to South Beach. The Settlers 7 demo is almost done downloading.

Well if a game isn't entertaining - immersion, etc - then where does that leave us? I am researching "city building games" on the internet and trying to find one I might like. Gone are the days of just buying a game and hoping (or assuming - in Civ V's case) that it will be a good, naturally fit.

In V, I like when my units are fighting and winning. That part is fun. The rest is a chore - getting them in position, waiting for the AI to overextend, etc. Now that everything is harder it is more of a chore than fun. It's fun getting my units promotions - oh well they nerfed that x2 XP policy. Now it is less fun. I just don't understand. It's not improving AI to make cities harder to take and nerfing my promotions. On war games I try to get the policy quickly and load up on XP. Now it is borked.

Uncle Sid Wants You - to stop discussing the closed beta!

I thoroughly enjoyed Sullla's article. It expressed many of the issues I have thought on. Poor Dale offhandedly says Sullla wants Civ 4 BTS.2 and has to come out with his own "where I stand thread." I have been there. He didn't really say that and I felt you did come out pretty quickly without any actual rebuttals or opinions of content.

Regarding Sullla's post, one thought that stuck with me is the value of potential. He's right, everything has potential and potential doesn't mean a great deal. Mike Tyson had potential to be the greatest heavyweight of all time. Barry Sanders had potential to come back into the NFL and still give people a show. Those kids from Hoop Dreams had potential to be NBA players. Potential is everywhere.

One thing Sulla didn't mention was that games that don't live up to hype or expectations or potential usually results in an influx of new forum members (myself included) who came to voice their problems and concerns. That, in addition to what he mentioned about the forums being divided into Haters and Fanboys.

There's more games and more game companies in this world and I need to broaden my horizons.

I am all for Civ 5 figuring out what kind of game it is and living up to its potential. Until then, I will do my best to stay out of it. Unless I can get my first mod going and then I will be back in it. That resources .lua file is a real B though.

Also, we shouldn't be too mean to Shafer, maybe he will come and do some pro bono programming in the form of mods. I say that half-joking and half serious. Maybe this is his first and last go around in gaming and he may want to come back to the "fan" side of things and I think we should welcome him. If I got picked to be a video game designer I know all hell would break loose. Imagine how Charlie did when he took over the Chocolate Factory? There's no chance. The inconvenient truth is that Charlie ruined the company. They sugarcoated it in the movie, but that's the mainstream media for you. When the factory closed though, Charlie was able to return home to his neighborhood and all the wags said "Well, you gave it your best. That Wonka is a wog."

OK, nm, settlers demo is done. Good night and good luck.

I agree a lot.
Immersion fails because many good ideas end up totally badly implemented.
Example: City states. Great. You can talk to them? No. You can gift them gold, period. They don't act as other civs at all and thus look gamey and break suspension of disbelief.
Math? How did they come up with Wealth requiring a tech to unlock and still be less efficient than building scouts and disbanding them?

I think Jon shafer had many good ideas but no clue how to correctly implement them. Example in the map scripts code: If you add a resource by modding, you must change all the map scripts, including those that just ask that there be at least 2 players per landmass. Whatever he wanted to achieve could have been done by putting more complexity in the xml but no... The comments in these scripts are very precious, in my opinion, to understand that Trip had a vision but no clue as to what it would mean in terms of gameplay.

Just want to point out, that no beta tester is able to answer questions regarding the testing process due to our NDA's. :)

That's alright. I'll just wait for the Wikileaks release.:lol:

Lack of immersion is where Civ5 hits me hardest.

Civ5 tried to make Civ a true strategy game again, but in doing so it sacrificed the fun of building a civilization. Civ5 is just more gamey than previous versions.

Luckily for us (well, at least those whom *STILL* consider it all a fair deal & a great template to work with be that done @Firaxis or not, btw) some great modders are lurking in the shadows while actively crushing concept thoughts & fine-tuning stuff to solve 1)Immersion and 2)Maths.

There's hope yet for this gameplay (in general) since IMO, the only hurdle standing between balance & solidly appropriate features is people's imagination through calculated risks & immersive components.
ModBuddy is the golden bridge; i'll click my heels and be back in Memphis if only to prove a point to the Extremists.
Cuz - the myth outweighs the variable design steps that lead to bliss.

bla bla bla....

"This game has potential". I really cannot hear this crap anymore.

The only potential this game has is that hopefully one day the full SDK will have been released.
And I guarantee that after the initial timespan needed for the modders to get familiar with that, the most popular mods will not resemble Shafer_5 very much.

Yeah, some values may get changed. So what? After all, the whole game still is designed to make city placement meaningless.
Yeah, you may add some more statements to the diplomacy. So what? After all, the whole diplomacy still is designed to block the human player.
Yeah, you may make the combat AI a bit more competitive. So what? After all, the whole game is still not designed for a tactical warfare.

And finally, you may change the way city placement works. You may change the AI to take fertile lands into consideration, to check for good production sites. You may enhance the diplomacy and make the AI's react in a meaningful manner. You may create a combat system which works within the maps.

But this will take months and years, and the outcome will have almost nothing to do with Shafer_5 anymore.

So I've been called a 'fanboi' on numerous occasions to my posts here at CFC. Yes, I was a part of the Franky group who helped test Civ 5. Yes, I've been enjoying the game (to a point). Yes, I disagree with some of the rants against Civ 5.

But I am most definitely NOT a 'fanboi'. Let me outline my position:

Sorry for being picky, but I really feel this rebuttal kind of undermines you. It's not a case of being a fanboy or not. Just who are you referring to? Why not just post your analysis of civ like everyone else instead of marking your thoughts down with a headline that screams 'HOW DARE YOU HAVE SUCH A BAD OPINION OF MY REASONING' ?

That being said:
I could go on about the bad combat AI, or the diplomacy, or the GUI, or lack of end game graphs and videos, or any number of other hashed out surface issues that afflict Civ 5.

Civ in all iterations has these problems, these little niggling things here and there. For me, Diplomacy and lack of end game graphs and videos detract from the experience. Bringing me to your first point:

Immersion:
Civ 5 lacks immersion. Consider that immersion roughly translates into "fun". When people say "oh the game is boring because I just click turn, turn, turn" and "the TV show in the background was more interesting", what people are trying to say is that Civ 5 lacks immersion. Immersion is simply keeping the player involved and interested in fun things within the game they are playing. Let me give you an example:

In Civ 4 it was an immersing and fun thing to build a huge army, but a tedious nightmare to micro-manage that army (movement of 50 units especially). This is where SoD's came into play. Civ 5 attempts to retain the immersion level of building an army, whilst trying to eliminate the unfun component (army management). Unfortunately what we've received is an unfun army building process, and a partly fun/unfun army management process.

Another example I could take is from an old game called Imperialism II. Resources were meaningful, in that you had to process resources into goods, such as furs into hats and iron ore into steel. These resources and goods would stockpile each turn, and almost everything you produced used these resources and goods. Luxuries would also go towards enabling more advanced citizens which would in turn provide more for your Empire. In Civ 5 though, resources are for the most part meaningless. Take iron, which after you get a few iron resources any additional ones are not needed. And for some games you can even go a majority of the game without iron at all. Similar for luxuries, the first of any type gives a happiness boost, but after that they are meaningless. If you have 1 or 10 of a luxury it still gives the same bonus.

I think ultimately what made Civ 4 BtS so successful, and so loved, is the immersion factor. Regardless of what was happening on the big screen, there were always some little sub-systems of the game to delve into to fill the quiet moments, such as religion, corporations or espionage. For Civ 5 however, we find that whilst the actual core gameplay hasn't changed 'that' much there is a lack of sub-systems to immerse oneself in during the quiet moments of the game. And I think this is critical, because it is this immersion level that Civ has been famous for, and the cause of the phrase One More Turn.....

+1000000. Small details so we can tailor make our empires, whether it be for creative, imaginative or practical purposes, is what defines these games. CiV has definately left these things out, for what appears to be the intention of simplifying the game to make it easier for people. And eer, it works, sort of, in the respect that it is a new game. However, we need much more in the way of features. This is what expansions and mods will compensate for.

I don't like your example though. I hated megastacks. They felt unweildy to me. This is possibly because I favour the tactical flavour that civ offers, rather than the beancounting strategic side of the previous ones, especially the beancounting of war.

It always felt like 'Do I have enough raw crap to throw at him/her in order to win?'. Especially with siege. Siege early on had ******ed survival rates, to the point where you either invested withdrawl chance promotions and had a weaker collateral damage, or you spammed collateral and suicided it en-masse on every city you marched up to. Yes, this did mean your footsoldiers survived and became better promoted but honestly, it just felt like I wasn't being rewarded for preserving some of my units.

Late game became a little better, your units could perform a better variety of war tactics (especially with the advent of air units). Mid-game was defined by massive megastacks of cannons and rifles, which would result in you spamming your way through empires connected to yours, making it stupidly easy to win.

The only thing I begrudge CiV for not having is a group select button.

Maths:
When I joined the Franky team, Civ 5 was about halfway through its development timeframe. Most (if not all) of the core foundations were already set in stone. The game as delivered failed in any number of core simple maths issues. Take the tech tree as one example.

When talking purely on beakers required, if you beelined for Biology at the start of the game, you would spend only 51% of the beakers required for Steam, even though they are at the same level and same power. Both techs open the exact same things in the policy tree, era level and other things, yet you could reach Biology in around half the time it would take to hit Steam. To me, this is a fundamental failure in simple core maths, and the tech tree was rife with these problems. Thankfully, the December patch fixed this particular one, but there are many examples of core simple maths destroying gameplay.

Another good example is the exponential food requirements as cities get bigger. Not only does it make bigger cities much slower to grow, since the science base rate is literally "number of population" it is literally better to grow a city from pop 1 to 2, than it is to grow a city from pop 10 to 11. The exponential science base rate growth from ICS is the core reason why ICS feels so natural in Civ 5. Regardless of whatever limitations are imposed on the game, whilst science base rate is linked to population count, with exponential food requirements for growth, ICS will ALWAYS be the more efficient option.

This seems silly, I agree.

Now science based on pop is a very polarising matter. I have no suggestions on how to fix it. So I'm wondering what you would propose. All I can think of is either increasing food yields from resource tiles or adding the science slider back in.

And I guarantee that after the initial timespan needed for the modders to get familiar with that, the most popular mods will not resemble Shafer_5 very much.

Every time.

Regardless of whatever limitations are imposed on the game, whilst science base rate is linked to population count, with exponential food requirements for growth, ICS will ALWAYS be the more efficient option.
The way to square this circle is with % modifier buildings.
If yield boosting buildings like universities and public schools are expensive enough and provide high enough % yields, then they are *only* worth building in large cities with a high base-pop, but they are absolutely worth building when you do so.

I think the balance isn't quite there yet, in part because of the still-too-high food costs for large cities, and in part I think the yield boosts on some of the buildings still aren't large enough.

Science in particular already has a really nice way of combining % yields with bonuses from pop; I wonder if this mechanic should be adapted to other buildings as well, to have them give +gold or hammers based on population. Stock exchange might be more interesting for example if it were +1 gold per population, so that it stacked better with market and bank.

So I've been called a 'fanboi' on numerous occasions to my posts here at CFC.

Yes, you appear to be a "fanboi" (your words).

Some weeks ago you claimed the game just had to be played as intended. When being asked what that would mean, you dived away.
Then you accuse Sullla just to want to have a Civilization IV.5.
When somebody points out that in the 2k forum apparently you are indicating people having problems with Shafer_5 are running pirated copies, you start crying "Do you call me a liar now?"

You've been a tester for that game. The game is full of flaws, bugs, bad design and weak implementation.
So, either you didn't do your job as tester or you weren't taken seriously by the developers. On the other hand, who would take a self-proclaimed "fanboi" seriously?

bla bla bla....

"This game has potential". I really cannot hear this crap anymore.

Pfffttt, i'm returning the favor.
We're all quite aware of your drastic stance against any issues that may fit your personal agenda. It doesn't negate the fact that opinions flow through a common communication highway we all must share.
I've been more active on CFC forums for just barely two months or so & every time i enter what may seem to be positive threads, there's always a good chance *YOU* had shown up already to expose your negative influence over any replies anybody writes.
Manners, tone, extreme comments.

I'm not a Moderator to "watch over" people's activity but i certainly can detect your presence and how you actively seek to favor the dark side of the force :mad: in every fashion imaginable - so to speak.
While Dale had some solid arguments (be they for or against gameplay flaws) about facts, we're certainly at liberty to communicate our thoughts without having to endure your continuous retaliation that adds nothing really worthy (even if exaggerated both ways) to the discussion. You're officially Black Listed and Ignored - from now on.

(Sadly AGAIN, i was forced into an Off-Topic response!)
Last crappy call, AFAIC.

Moderator Action: Just ignore him, don't broadcast that you're going to ignore him.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

Gee. As another long-time member of the Frankenstein test group, let me clarify that our NDAs, among other stuff, specifically cover the discussions about the game that take place within the test group. With both Civ4 and Civ5, many people gave their best during testing, but none of them reveal publicly just what feedback they give.

Educate me on why this agreement is necessary? Whom does it protect? Would it be a violation for the Frankenstein group to collaborate on a mod that fixes the issues that they think is wrong with the game?

It doesn't matter if they are necessary or not. Simple put, they are subject to it. Anyway, good post OP, you've shed some light on the real problems with Civ5 that so many critics overlook.

Top Bottom