Some random obervations from the streams

Has it been confirmed that each COPY of an amenity provides a bonus to 4 cities?

Also, put your YouTube link in a code tag to maintain the link
Yes I believe it has. So 8, 12, or 16 cities would be ideal. You can't stack 2 copies of wine in 4 cities.

This is how it currently explains the use of luxuries:
"Each Luxury resource can contribute up to 4 Amenities to your empire (1 per city) to the 4 cities that need them the most.
what is this madness, communism?

on a serious note, does anyone know what exactly this means? As in, say, I have 5 cities: 4 of population 10 and 1 of population 5, and every city suffers from a lack of amenities. I suppose the four 10-pop cities "need lux the most" and thus a newly connected lux will be distributed to those four cities and not the fifth one?
I guess it means 5-pop city will never catch up with the 10-pops?

On melee versus ranged you have to factor in promotions. I confirmed that ranged promotions only give ranged combat strength which will not help them on the defense. That adds 7 strength difference for each era at one promotion for melee. Horse units gain more range defense bonus in their first slot and gain anti ranged bonuses at 2. Ranged units are more squishy than people are viewing them. Add in melee units actually being useful in taking cities and range spam will be less prominent. Forts giving automatic fortification bonuses would allow easy swapping of melee defenders at choke points.

what is this madness, communism?

on a serious note, does anyone know what exactly this means? As in, say, I have 5 cities: 4 of population 10 and 1 of population 5, and every city suffers from a lack of amenities. I suppose the four 10-pop cities "need lux the most" and thus a newly connected lux will be distributed to those four cities and not the fifth one?
I guess it means 5-pop city will never catch up with the 10-pops?

There is
1. a need for amenities (based on population)
2. sources of amenities besides luxuries (also you can gain negative amenities for war weariness or bankruptcy)

Also each city can only get 1 amenity from any type of luxury

So given that situation, the 5 pop city would get luxury amenities when

-you have 2 copies of an amenity (ie 2 Silk.. the second silk can't help the first 4 cities but it can help the 5th)
-you build entertainment districts near the pop 10 cities so they have closer to what they need
-the 5 pop city is captured, and you are at war, so it is suffering high levels of war weariness

This is just a random statement, but I find it very jarring when the city disappears during combat animations. :confused:

Alternatively just make ranger units weaker overall, so that they trade damage for range. In civ V they were weaker, but just a slight bit.

The problem was this was always that lowered HP reduces a unit's attack power. It meant in Civ V that for a melee unit to attack a ranged unit, it had to sacrifice its attack power, forfeiting its supposed bonus. Which is why I feel melee and cavalry units should never take damage when attacking a Ranged unit.

This is just a random statement, but I find it very jarring when the city disappears during combat animations. :confused:
Me too. That does seem a little weird.

do we know about how liberating cities/civs works? is there still a weird resentment that stems from faulty AI or has that been resolved? or can you not liberate cities?

hm, you can use the settler lens to discover cities, as in this gameplay:

at 17:17

you turn on settler lens and see the red hex - it shows there's a city near, even if you have never explored close to that...

do we know about how liberating cities/civs works? is there still a weird resentment that stems from faulty AI or has that been resolved? or can you not liberate cities?

Liberating cities can be a Casus Belli. In a War of Liberation, you get no warmonger penalty for liberating cities. Likewise city-states in a War of Protection.

Isn't it strange how we can have some dissatisfaction lurking quietly in our subconscious mind which only becomes obvious to us when someone else draws our attention to it. Yes, those disappearing cities during combat ARE damned jarring. That's the perfect word, jarring. Thanks for pointing it out, I feel so much better now.

It reminds me of how the roof and walls of a building become invisible when you select a squad member inside in XCOM. It's not a big deal to me.

Another random observation, uhm I'm not sure if it's been mentioned yet in this thread:

Some policies take effect immediately (with a short delay for the UI to update all the yields/gpt/cpt/bpt/etc), while some take effect only on the next turn, ie Profesisonal Army for military unit upgrade discounts. This is fair, since one could theoretically switch to Professional Army, upgrade his units, then switch again the same turn without any penalty.

This however makes the policy system a little bit inconsistent, due to not knowing exactly if a policy change will happen instantly or later. I'm sure after a few games we will all adjust though...

I like those disappearing cities because I prefer seeing "attackers fighting with city defenders" to "attackers fighting with city itself", if that's what you are talking about.

Liberating cities can be a Casus Belli. In a War of Liberation, you get no warmonger penalty for liberating cities. Likewise city-states in a War of Protection.
But what about the diplo situation between a nation and the nation they liberated? In Civ5 there were weird situations where they became afraid or hostile towards their liberator.

But what about the diplo situation between a nation and the nation they liberated? In Civ5 there were weird situations where they became afraid or hostile towards their liberator.

I just said you get no warmonger penalty. That includes the people you liberated.

On melee versus ranged you have to factor in promotions. I confirmed that ranged promotions only give ranged combat strength which will not help them on the defense. That adds 7 strength difference for each era at one promotion for melee. Horse units gain more range defense bonus in their first slot and gain anti ranged bonuses at 2. Ranged units are more squishy than people are viewing them. Add in melee units actually being useful in taking cities and range spam will be less prominent. Forts giving automatic fortification bonuses would allow easy swapping of melee defenders at choke points.

But that is exactly the thing I think Firaxis misunderstand. Range units strength comes mostly from their ability to deal damage without taking any.
Pushing range units further and further in a role of glass canon unit will not work (i bet).

If you play civ5 you already protect your range units with maneuver or melee blockers. The main advantage of a range unit is its range combined with good damage. Range above 1 allows you to focus fire down a unit in a wide area. Something melee units are very weak to because they have to go through that area to hit anything. And then moving around to reach a range unit has become harder while the range units still can just sit and shoot.

Its no surprise streamers are using crossbows and archers like its civ5 again.

At best, cavalry will be able to be anti range but mostly in MP as I dont expect the AI to make genius tactical move.

I just said you get no warmonger penalty. That includes the people you liberated.
I understood. I was more so concerned with whether or not the resurected civ would want its lands back if you were to only liberate their capital. That's more of a gray area, even though I know that more of this iteration emphasizes returning of cities after wars.

Top Bottom