Some Wonders That Could Use New Graphics

Domingo

El Desaparecido
Seeing the influx of some sweet art from Kohan II I thought it might be pertinent to see if there might not be some better stuff out there for many of the wonders that still lack pizazz. Some that I noticed while glancing through the Civilopedia:

City of a Thousand Slums
Grand Menagerie
Heron Throne
Pact of the Nilhorn
Pillar of Chains
Tablets of Bambur
The Eyes and Ears Network
Tower of Mastery (maybe unnecessary, but it should at least be a tower)

Anyway, great job on the stuff that is already in. The palaces in particular look fantastic.

City of a Thousand Slums
Pact of the Nilhorn

I disagree with these three.

None of them are really "buildings" per se.
City of a Thousand slums is just a massive expansion of the city area.
Pact of the Nilhorn is, presumably, a document. A contract with the gianrs.
And the eyes and ears network is a group of people.

I think all of the above should have no visual representation at all.
I agree with the rest though.

Its nice to have some pretty artwork after working hard on a building. Besides, in the pedia it looks odd seeing a barrack for a building. City of a Thousand Slums could be a collection of medieval tenements, PAct of the Nilhorn could be a document repository or something, and Eyes and Ears Network could be something else.

I just want to know why building the Great Lighthouse lets you see the original civ IV movie for the wonder, but building the Great Library does not.

Do we think that the hill giants have writing? :p

It's actually probably more of a handshake (or whole body shake in the case of dwarves) agreement

Not that it matters mind you

D'oh!

The 'pedia entry mentions the construction of a monument, a nice physical representation of the pact. Not that it matters now that Pact of the Nilhorn is a ritual, but hey.

While I'm here I'll cross-post what I put in the Fantasy buildings thread.

According to the list I'm keeping, the following buildings and wonders are still using placeholder art.
City of a Thousand Slums
Illian Palace
<strike>Pact of the Nilhorn </strike> BALEETED
Pagan Temple
Pillar of Chains
Tower of Mastery
Khazad Palace (uses same graphic as citadel)

The following buildings use the same graphics as each other. This could be changed.
Catacomb Libralus/Library
Courthouse/Governor's Mansion
Harbor/Sea Haven
Calabim Palace/Lanun Palace (recolour)
Market/Money Changer

One thing I'd love to see (but may be a bit much) is unique graphics for each civilisation's Pagan Temple, so the Clan get one to Bhall, the Elohim get one to Sirona, etc. Not mechanically different, just graphically.

Looking at the Human buildings thread here, the market on the left side looks like a good replacement to the FfH one, if we leave the Money Changer as is.

I disagree with these three.

None of them are really "buildings" per se.
City of a Thousand slums is just a massive expansion of the city area.
Pact of the Nilhorn is, presumably, a document. A contract with the gianrs.
And the eyes and ears network is a group of people.

These can easily be represented with buildings.

City of a Thousand Slums should have the number of normal buildings that are usually in a city increased by a 1/4 (or whatever looks appropriate). It should show that this city is massive. If not this, then the building should be several run down appartment complexes.

Pact of the Nilhorn should be a statue of the bard that befriended the giants, possibly next to a part of the giant. It would be symbolic of the event, to show that it took place.

Eyes and Ears Network could be seedy tavern or other shady gathering place.

Edit: On a slightly related (and thus off topic) note, I would like to see some of the world wonders renamed to fit the lore of Erebus. The following three are all just taken from vanilla civ:

Great Library
Great Lighthouse
Form of the Titan

I have heard people (I think MC) suggest Library of Ogma for the Great Library. The rest could be easily adapted. Changing Heroic Epic and National Epic would be nice as well, but not as important.

Edit 2: Changing Ruins of Patria to something unique would be good, too. Perhaps a ruined city.

Yeah but the graphic is the Moai Statues :p
http://www.world-mysteries.com/moai_statues.jpg

I see your point,. But considering that buildings in general, are a relatively low priority, and that the Moai Statues are unique within the context of FFH (nothing else uses them, AFAIK) I don't really see a problem here.Having a ubnique Rmnants of Patria model would be nice, sure. but I can name b out a thousand things thst wold b much nicer, and require no more or less effort from a defensve unit.

To be honest, Pillar of Chains is the singular, and only, wonder I care to see. Reading it's pedia etry, it sounds truly macabre and I have a strong desire to see it realized in whatever way Sezereth is capable of Producing

I'd love to see a city of a thousand slums. Of course, a single building representing the wonder would be wrong. But it should make the city look different somehow, and much bigger. Perhaps if the city art did not stop growing at pop 30 (or whatever is the biggest). I'd love to see Dis bigger than the city radius. Or maybe limit it at that.

Another one I seriously crave is the pillar of chains. As said before, its lore justifies an awesome unique model.

I'm pretty sure that [Form of the Titan] was called Colossus or somesuch in vanilla BtS
My mistake if that is true. I just have never heard any reference to Titans in Erebus, outside of this wonder. If they existed, I'd think they would be fairly important. Seeing a Greek reference with a very Greek-looking statue makes it stick out to me.

And yes, seeing the Moai statues representing Patria is a bit strange, hat or no hat. ;)

I realize that none of this is high priority, but I would still like to see it changed eventually. And names seem fairly simple to do.

My mistake if that is true. I just have never heard any reference to Titans in Erebus, outside of this wonder. If they existed, I'd think they would be fairly important. Seeing a Greek reference with a very Greek-looking statue makes it stick out to me.

Yes, it was called Colossus, and he was a Titan. However, Titan, does not need to refer to a specific race of beings. Titan can be called someone that has great strength and constitution. So, the name "Form of the Titan", is really fit for a military wonder.

To be honest, Pillar of Chains is the singular, and only, wonder I care to see. Reading it's pedia etry, it sounds truly macabre and I have a strong desire to see it realized in whatever way Sezereth is capable of Producing

Yeah, me too. Its such a distinct building and we can all imagine what it looks like that its dissapointing that we dont have graphics for it.

Maybe Psychic Llamas can work something up for us?

Its nice to have some pretty artwork after working hard on a building. Besides, in the pedia it looks odd seeing a barrack for a building. City of a Thousand Slums could be a collection of medieval tenements, PAct of the Nilhorn could be a document repository or something, and Eyes and Ears Network could be something else.

City of a thousand slums should be something along the lines of a city wall that surrounds the city, but made of tents/dilapidated buildings or something.

Also, I always visualized Aquae Sucellus more along the lines of the hanging gardens than whatever that picture is.

Top Bottom