Spanish Civil War ToT Mod

Thank-you, greatly! I'll have a look at this.

I'll certainly give it a crack!

Thanks Pat. I really need to try and get to the bottom of this problem so I can crack on with the final version of SCW. I'm really looking forwards to adding the extra units and sorting out the minor issues left with this scenario.

Out of interest, has anyone else got the 127 units working on other projects?

I'm getting about half of your issue McMonkey on my computer. The additionally added units are all called "Port1" to "Port46," in-game, whether when displayed on the map, on cheat menus (like Create Unit), AND the Military Units part of the in-game interface for the Civilliopedia. However, unlike you, their graphics are showing on my computer. I hope that helps somewhat, at least.

It sounds like everything is running OK for you then. If you check the Rules file you will see that the extra units are names Port 1, 2 and so on. I should have mentioned that.

The strangest thing has just happened. I have just tried the scenario on my laptop and suddenly everything seems to be working. I'm sure I tried it a dozen or more times last week on the laptop and more on my desktop at home. I will go back home and check if the issue has resolved itself. I really hope it has, but I'm really puzzled as to why it would suddenly rectify itself without me making any changes.

Anyway, thanks for the assistance.

I'm after a bit of advice from anyone well acquainted with move unit events. Most of the Legion and Regulares are created in Spanish Morocco or the South-west of Spain. In my original tests I found that they preferred to head West through Andalusia instead of towards Madrid.

To counter this I created three boxes for move units (see pic) which triggers every turn and every time a unit is killed. This event instructs Army of African units to head towards Talavera. However, upon checking the saves it seems that very large numbers stack up in Sevilla and Talavera. I want the ones in Sevilla to head North-east and the ones in Talavera to attack Toledo and to the south of Madrid.

I guess this is caused by some mistake I have made in the events. I have checked the co-ordinates and they seem fine. The go-to coordinate is not within a box. Any ideas on how I could improve this as the Nationalists seem to stop attacking Toledo after a certain point in the scenario (perhaps 25 turns in).

It's not a scenario breaking problem, but I would like to see more action South of Madrid throughout the game.

Example of events for red box. This is repeated for each type of AofA unit and then duplicated for the other two boxes with different co-ordinates:

@IF
Turn
turn=every
@THEN
MoveUnit
unit=Legionario
owner=Nationalist Spanish
maprect
moveto
numbertomove=all
@ENDIF

@IF
UNITKILLED
Unit=AnyUnit
Attacker=Anybody
Defender=Anybody
@THEN
MOVEUNIT
unit=Legionario
owner=Nationalist Spanish
maprect
moveto
numbertomove=all
@ENDIF

Does anyone know where to find a decent .wav file for a mortar firing and then the round exploding. I'm sure there is one floating around but I have searched my folders and the internet thoroughly and can't locate it. I found some cool new sounds in the process so it wasn't a completely wasted exercise.

Playing now!
I can report is the following:

1) Use line spacing for the events, the words are being broken up.
2) Quite a lot of data to consume at the start, not really a problem.
3) Franco's rats make quite a blitz initially - I will have revenge!

:D

1&2) Spent the last hour or so spell checking the events and sorting out the spacing issue. Tested the scenario opening and it looks good. I agree there is a lot of text to digest and I will look at removing some of the political ins and outs. It's supposed to be a game, not a history lesson. :D Thanks to Catfish for the link to Notepad++ and the explanation on the 255 character limit.

3) The Fascist rats still make a big bang but hopefully with a few tweaks the Republican player will find it a little easier stomping them. Not too much easier mind ;)

McMonkey, I started the game and I found the first thing that surprised me ... Why each city conquered by the fascists, guerrillas are the POUM and not the Popular Front? Is this about a further development of the scenario?

I have considered this point and decided to swap some of the Militia units around a bit. Now instead of POUM springing up as Militia (Partisans) it will be the Anarchists. I have also added the new UGT, FIA and CNT Militias into the start of the game to give the Republican side a more diversified unit roster. I will also edit the events so that these different units show up. The choice will still be to built the cheaper Communists and Anarchist Militias or the slightly more expensive Popular Front that will eventually be converted into the People's Army with the Leonardo's Workshop wonder effect.

Shouldn't the Italian CTV units be generated closer to the city of Calatayud?

I have made a note to alter this event slightly to take into account a Republican defensive line. It's tricky because if I create the CTV units in Calatayud they head east into Aragon, but if I create them next to Guadalajara it is possible they can bypass defensive positions in an unrealistic way. I would guess that your defensive positions were based on the village four squares NE and the one just NW of Brihuega?

The only qualm I may have is to ask whether the forces in play might be a little too skewed in favour of the Nationalists.

The total forces are skewed in the Nationalists favour to compensate for the AI's wasteful and uncoordinated tactics. However, I will be carrying out a careful thinning of the Nationalist reinforcements to get the balance better and adding a few more Republican troops (including a few Anti-aircraft weapons) to even things out a little.

What's the reasoning behind the generation of the 'Stronghold' units when Republican cities are captured. Is there a historical context for it? I ask because it seems to give them an unfair advantage. By May 1938, I inventoried 201 such units, with 2-3 units generated for each captured Republican cities. Subsequent tests I made demonstrated that it took around five non-veteran 155mm artillery pieces to defeat 2 Stronghold units in a city (which of course rarely if ever only contained just two units). You quickly realize that it would take a massive number of such artillery units to retake Spain. In the end, I was only able to create a total of 55 artillery pieces, of which only 55% were 155mm (being itself the most expensive Republican unit to build), despite using my Supply units for the exclusive use of their production.

In my last playtest I ended up with 90 155mm and 55 75mm howitzers produced with about half that number becoming casualties during the war. With the slight reduction in Stronghold defensive stats I think it will be possible to make headway, as long as you shepherd your forces carefully. The old Stronghold stats did eat through Howitzers at a fearsome rate.

By May 1938, the Nationalists had received 62 Legionarii Class submarines. Assuming each unit corresponded to 1 or 2 subs that means between 62 to 124 subs! Did Italy really send that many subs to fight for Franco? This is important as you know because the Republicans are heavily dependent on Russians reinforcements from Odessa whose ships must run the gauntlet of Italian subs.

The number of Italian submarines is more a representation of their presence than actual numbers. I found it worked pretty well in my game. I think only one convoy was lost. If I reduced the numbers to historical levels the war at sea would be a doddle for the Republicans so I'm going to use some artistic licence with the Italian subs and go for gameplay over historical accuracy.

By May 1938, I inventoried a total of 244 air units having fought, and died, for the Nationalists (versus 127 for the Republicans). They still had 85 surviving units by that month (versus 43 for the Republicans). I'm assuming each air unit is the equivalent of an air squadron (say between 10 to 20 aircraft). That would mean the Axis would have supplied between 2440 to 4880 planes to Franco. Does that sound correct? This is particularly important because the superior quality of the German/Italian models help to dominate the battle field. But if they are receiving more than they actually received during the actual conflict it tends to skewer the odds even more against the Republicans.

I'm cutting down slightly on the number of Nationalist aircraft created via events. I have already slightly degraded the He111 and Ju87 stats to allow Republican fighters to tackle them in the open. Your Chatos and Moscas will be vulnerable to Me109s when outside of cities, meaning sorties should only be made when tactically vital and fighters should primarily be held back for defensive interceptions.

I'm also going to include a limited number of medium and heavy AA guns and a few trucks mounted with four Maxims. This should also help balance the air war out a little more.

Two questions:

Why is Tanger it's own civ, with a leader called "Governor?" I'm not certain on the city's status during the Civil War. Was it de facto independent? And, if Franco's army was right there, why didn't he just seize the city if it had taken advantage of things to proclaim erstwhile sovereignty?

Second, which city will you put the renamed Leonardo's in (in other words, which city MUST be held to benefit from the unit upgrades)?

Leonardo's Workshop is The Comintern in Odessa (where the Soviet aid shipments spawn). It is already in 1.0 version of the scenario and works perfectly. The upgrade of Popular Front to Peoples Army happens relatively early in the scenario, depending on how quickly you progress down the (linear) tree. I would say turns 8-10 would be about average.

In 1912, Morocco was effectively partitioned between France and Spain, the latter occupying the country's far north and far south, while France declared a protectorate over the remainder. The last Sultan of independent Morocco, Moulay Hafid, was exiled to the Sultanate Palace in the Tangier Kasbah after his forced abdication in favour of his brother Moulay Yusef. Tangier was made an international zone in 1923 under the joint administration of France, Spain, and Britain under an international convention signed in Paris on December 18, 1923. Ratifications were exchanged in Paris on May 14, 1924. The convention was registered in League of Nations Treaty Series on September 13, 1924. The convention was amended in 1928. The governments of Italy, Portugal and Belgium adhered to the convention in 1928, and the government of the Netherlands in 1929.

The International zone of Tangier had a 373 square kilometre area and, by 1939, a population of about 60,000 inhabitants.

Spanish troops occupied Tangier on June 14, 1940, the same day Paris fell to the Germans.

Does anyone know where to find a decent .wav file for a mortar firing and then the round exploding. I'm sure there is one floating around but I have searched my folders and the internet thoroughly and can't locate it. I found some cool new sounds in the process so it wasn't a completely wasted exercise.

Will any of these sounds do? (The last two are not mortars, but I think you'll find them appropriate ;))

Attachments

• Sounds.zip
    336.1 KB · Views: 132
Vamos! Vamos! Vamos! is perfect for the International Brigades! The other file with the officer shouting sounds perfect for the Spanish Foreign Legion. Any idea what he's saying? The Catapult file is a lot better than the mortar sound I found but not the exact one I was looking for which had the 'poump' noise of the mortar bomb leaving the tube followed by the shells flight and then the explosion. I'm sure I used to have it somewhere. Thanks a lot for these minipow01. I really need to put together a sound folder in my resources with all the Civ2 sounds gathered together and labelled for ease of use. I know some people choose to play with the sound off, but for me a good set of sound effects really adds to the total immersion of a scenario.

I agree that the scenario experience is amplified by good sound effects. I probably have hundreds of sound files, as I've collected so many scenarios over the years. It turns out that mortar-like sounds are already featured in scenarios by Curt, techumseh, and tootall. Here are the ones I found. Explosions can be heard both at the shell's launch and when it reaches its target.

I'm not sure what the Spanish officer is saying. Since gapetit is our resident Spanish speaker, maybe he can help us out!

Attachments

• mortar sounds.zip
    280.3 KB · Views: 103
Top Bottom