SparGamez1: Phoenicia (Mesopotamia)

just quick one:
what are burial mounds for? (I could understand one in Sidon, to grab colony, but in other towns?)
we have culture from ToA.
we can (probably) sell barracks for some gp if we need that (we have them for free now with SoZ).
remember that Oligarchy has WW.

Our GA ends next turn.

we can (should) switch Sidon to wonder _NOW_ to not to waste shields invested in CI.
Sidon can produce HG. Tyre after completion of Pyramids can prebuild for another one or start MoM (maybe the latter, cause it's already available for others).
All in all we should grab 4 available GW left and just sign peace to finish.

After ironically losing power right after my previous post, I have power finally and I hope to play tomorrow after school if that's alright with y'all.

Sorry to post an uncompleted save, but we are in a really tight pickle.

Spoiler for Turnlog:
Spoiler :
Prep: Civ Assist running. We can trade for mathematics, so why are we researching it, also, what are we gaining from a war with Sumeria and Medes? Seems to me they just drain our production that is so precious in a Wonder victory. Anyways, I purchase Mathematics and a World Map from Mycenae for Cartography, a World Map, and 76 gold. Switch research to Ship Building to unlock Navigation and the Lighthouse. Increase funding to 100%. SB in 4 at -21gpt. City Management looks good so no changes made. Switch Sidon to Gardens and Ugarit to Mausoleum. Medes has more troops on our borders so I decide they are the better canidate for peace right now. Get Peace and a world map for Cartography and 68 gold. Sell Cartography to Bab's for 67 gold and world map. Change Acco from wealth to worker. Sell Hittites Alchemy for 7 gold and World map. Make peace with Sumerians and get world map and 6 gold. Sell math to Medes for 85 gold. Before hitting enter I take another quick run through and discover that Sidon and Ugarit are about to riot, so I raise lux up to 10% now we get Ship building in 5 turns. Hit the Spacebar...

IBT: DRAT!!! Both Sumeria and Medes continue their "glorious" advance! Babylon should make a nice ally though. :evil:

Turn 1: Build an embassy with the Bab's. They have an alliance with Mycanae agianst the Hittites. Make peace with Egypt for a world map. (all they got) I figure we outta see if the Sumerians want to restart war now and I demand they leave. They Leave. I decide to press my luck with Medes. They redeclare. Embassys are formed with the Hittites and Sumeria. The Hittites are already at war with Medes with an alliance with Mycanae, so already 2 AI's are at war with them. This is good. We ink an alliance with Sumeria for a hefty price of City Planning, Iron Working, Cartography, and 23 gold. I also start the withdrawl from Egypt. Sign Alliance with Bab's for World Map and 280 Gold.

We are defiantly going to lose that city, so I need suggestions. :dunno:

Attachments

• SparGamez.SAV
    135.5 KB · Views: 61
few notes...
we have ~64 turns left. why are we building MoM in Ugarit? in that situation that's just AI behavior i.e. when at war build wonders. we already have two cities doing that, that's enough.
two would be ok in peacetime, but asking to leave in that situation was spelling disaster. we just do no have units to defend our cities(!).
also turning 'show food and shields on map' in this scenario is very useful, cause You can easily discern Lebanon Forest from regular one.

we don't really need to research at max speed now.
- Tyre can start MoM after Pyramids and finish it before we have Navigation and GL option.
- Sidon could be MM to finish HG in 6 and then start prebuild for GL or rather start building units.
- Berytus could and should be MM to produce TG every two turns or CI every three. while still growing (now we can have TG in one, without growth during that turn).
- Ugarit switch to CI or better TG and with some waste finish in one.
- Arvad could have had some units if TGs were chosen over CI. Now the town is lost and lets hope that it won't be razed.

IMO - all that CI building might be not worth it. they cost 50 instead of 30 shields and AI has mostly archers and warriors with 1 def. Enkidu and spears could be dealt anyway with numbers. I would rather have 5 TGs for every 3 CIs.
we just have to have enough units to secure whole empire.
maybe we could also finish Egyptian war and withdraw units that are there. Secure chokepoint and just let them live.

and lets hope that Sumerian forces will draw some Medean forces away from us.

well, good luck regaining Arvad.

Well, the reason I requested a leave was the Medes sent units straight at the cities, and I wanted to start the war sooner to get the dogpile going as soon as possible. Also, I am not done with this turn so I posted a save before MM'ing. And I was noticing the same thing about the units. Unfortunately, I have "surprise" homework due tomorrow, so I cannot play today. What I really should have done is just make peace with Medes and then gotten a dogpile going on Sumeria. Hindsight is always better then foresight, I guess. :rolleyes:

Yep, nevermind. It's done and anyway we are going to build those 4 wonders left.
And comments afterwards are for the future consideration. ;)

It would be nice to lose just one town and regain it asap. Hopefully most of Medean forces will go for Sumeria and things will start to calm down still in Your turnset.

100% agreed with posting during turnset for discussion. :goodjob:

Thanks for the support. :goodjob: Anyways, I just managed to get civ running on my laptop, so I can finally toss out my old slow xp tower and start on a computer with some decent speed. Anyways, completed turnlog will be up tomorrow. (hopefully) :rolleyes:

I suppose getting you into this pickle is my fault, I didn't station troops near there on time, so I apologize for that!

Well, partially both, I did a horrible diplomacy job. However, I would like to ask you why you didn't bother to build any TG's. 2 for 60 shields provide much better defense then 1 CI for 50 shields.

EDIT: My apologies for not getting a turnlog up today, but my civ laptop got one of those infamous Black Screen of Death updates, which ended up taking my most of my evening trying to fix. :( I may need a skip, but I think my troubles may be over. (sigh)

yes 5/4/1
but for 50gp
where there are many warriors and archers around it would be better to have more units even with worse stats. they can easily deal with enemy attackers and with occasional spear.

No doubt, however, with the end of the marking period this Friday, no promises. If others want, I will skip or take a one time switch. [pissed]

If you've already played part, you might as well finish. It's only ten turns, it shouldn't take absurdly long.

Ten turns on a giant earthmap with an empire that spans all of Australia in the industrial ages took me about two-and-a-half hours. And we have a small civ in Palestine on an average-sized map.

yep, go on, take Your time.

actually it's only 5 turns. it was 10 for a while, but with 5 players we are down to 5 each turnset.

yes it does.

post 192:
We could always use another player, welcome on-board. Alright I'll go 10 turns, then we'll go back to 5 each as we're back to 5 players.

Okay, this might be just a little late, but...

Spoiler :
Prep: Civ Assist running. We can trade for mathematics, so why are we researching it, also, Build an embassy with the Bab's. They have an alliance with Mycanae agianst the Hittites. what are we gaining from a war with Sumeria and Medes? Seems to me they just drain our production that is so precious in a Wonder victory. Anyways, I purchase Mathematics and a World Map from Mycenae for Cartography, a World Map, and 76 gold. Switch research to Ship Building to unlock Navigation and the Lighthouse. Increase funding to 100%. SB in 4 at -21gpt. City Management looks good so no changes made. Switch Sidon to Gardens and Ugarit to Mausoleum. Medes has more troops on our borders so I decide they are the better canidate for peace right now. Get Peace and a world map for Cartography and 68 gold. Sell Cartography to Bab's for 67 gold and world map. Change Acco from wealth to worker. Sell Hittites Alchemy for 7 gold and World map. Make peace with Sumerians and get world map and 6 gold. Sell math to Medes for 85 gold. Before hitting enter I take another quick run through and discover that Sidon and Ugarit are about to riot, so I raise lux up to 10% now we get Ship building in 5 turns. Hit the Spacebar...

IBT: DRAT!!! Both Sumeria and Medes continue their "glorious" advance! Babylon should make a nice ally though. :evil:

Turn 1: Make peace with Egypt for a world map. (all they got) I figure we outta see if the Sumerians want to restart war now and I demand they leave. They Leave. I decide to press my luck with Medes. They redeclare. Embassys are formed with the Hittites and Sumeria. The Hittites are already at war with Medes with an alliance with Mycanae, so already 2 AI's are at war with them. This is good. We ink an alliance with Sumeria for a hefty price of City Planning, Iron Working, Cartography, and 23 gold. I also start the withdrawl from Egypt. Sign Alliance with Bab's for World Map and 280 Gold. Make switch from CI to TG, as well as abandon the Mausoleum in Ugarit. Take risk sending our warrior in Arvad out to the Median stack, and it pays off as we kill an apposing warrior.

IBT: Medes takes Arvad, Mycanae declares on Sumeria, and I see 4 Medes units killed by Sumerian forces. Ugarit: Tyrian Guard -> Tyrian Guard.

Turn 2: Mainly just shifting around units to prepare for a counter attack. My prediction for Arvad is 3 Median archers, I suspect to still be veteran, but one may be elite. Elephantine riots, because all it's MP's are marching north, I move up the lux slider, but it does no good.

IBT: Hittites want to trade world map, I oblige. (but not without gaining 6 gold) A persian archer comes to the doorstep of an undefended Acco. Tyre: Pyramids -> CI.

Turn 3: I move 2 TG's outside outside Acco to retake it. (the medes will beat me to it) 2 vetern CI's sit on the doorstep of Arvad.

IBT: Acco captured. Also Mycanae declares on us from an MPP and finishs Hanging Gardens, forcing Sidon to switch to Mausoleum. Elephantine continues to riot, so I move up slider agian, this time quelling the problem.

Turn 4: Launch assault on Arvad, I overestimated defences, only 1v and 1r archer. :D Arvad and Acco retaken with no losses.

IBT: A little Medes movement to the north. Sumerians finish Maulsoeum 1 turn before we do, and I MM'ed for it too. :mad: Anyway, Sidon switches to a CI.

Turn 5: Launch a small attack out of Kition with the CI in it, killing a warrior posing a small theat, leaving it undefended, but not in danger. I will leave the rest of unit shifting up to the jurisdiction of the next player.

Anyways, bummer about getting beat to both wonders, however, now that Medes assault has been broken, we have a few decisions.

1. What should we do with our military? The way I see it we have 4 options, 1 is to take it to Medes, the second is to make peace turn around and attack Egypt once more, the third is to make peace with all so we can slash most of the cost of it and try to sneak a wonder victory out, and the fourth is to keep a small force in the north to handle any Median attacks. Only the first and last would prevent a rep hit, although as I already found out to my disgust, we already have a trashed rep. :rolleyes: However, the third would be the safest way to victory IMO.

2. What should we do with Mycanae? We got stuck at war with them, although I don't feel that they are a real threat, being preoccupied with the Hittites.

3. What to do about the budget? We aren't exactly in a very good position economically, the war with Medes forced me to spend our saved gold on MA's. However, I do think that a prebuild in Sidon would be the best bet for gaining the last wonder, We already have a sure majority in wonders, and I don't think that there is any way we can lose. (other then suicide) :suicide:

EDIT: We did get the Pyramids, and I think that might have triggered a switch in AI cities which caused us to lose the wonder race for both the Gardens and Mausoleum. (both by 1 turn, go figure) :rolleyes:

There is a stack of workers outside Kition that can complete the road to the city in 1 turn on the next turn, so please do that.

Also, sorry about not posting more in the turnlog about my production choices, It has been a while and except for a couple times, I plum forgot. :blush:

Attachments

• SparGamez1_ GamezRule_800BC.SAV
    141.1 KB · Views: 52
Alright, we HAVE to get the Lighthouse. Therefore, it is key that we beeline for Navigation at any cost. Tyre needs to be switched the turn that we get it in.

Bowsling, you're up.

Current Roster:
Sparthage=>
Aukrest=>
GamezRule=> Just Played
Bowsling=> UP!
pol1=> On Deck

Once all 7 wonders have been completed, it comes down to VPs. So we have to prebuild in Sidon or Tyre to lock in the last wonder, then go on a murderous milking rampage.

Just from my personal experience, points are added for completed wonders and such. In one game, I was over 500 points behind Sumeria, completed 5/7 wonders and ended 2000 points ahead at over 3000 points.

Top Bottom