Specific Bug Reports

Iustus

King
The purpose of this thread is to make specific and detailed bug reports.

Please do use this thread to report specific bugs in Better AI. Crashes, asserts, working the wrong plot, and other real mistakes should be reported here.

Please do not use this thread to make comments about questionable AI behavior. If you are not sure if it is a bug or intended behavior, report it in the questionable behavior thread.

Please do include save game files and pictures here. If you cannot include a save game file or a picture, then please reconsider whether your post belongs here or in a different thread. You want the save before the bug occurs, if possible.

Before uploading a save, please load that save yourself, and make sure you can repeat the bug. If you are uploading an autosave, it would be helpful if you first redo your actions, then do a save, so all we have to do is end turn to get the error (unless it is some specific action you take that causes the error, in that case, do a save prior to that action).

Often it is helpful to have a save a turn before, or even several turns before. Rather than guessing, post the save the turn that causes the problem you see, but make a copy of your autosave folder, so you have an archive of all your autosaves from the game you post. That way, if we ask for an earlier save, you still have it.

Thanks,

-Iustus

this is a sample bug report, please try to follow this format

Version: 1/16/07 build

Clicking emphasize hammers causes a crash to desktop without an error message.

In order to reproduce the problem, turn on the auto governor, then click the emphasize hammers button.

Enclosed is the save game file.

Attachments

• example save.CivWarlordsSave
    9.3 KB · Views: 243
Assert Failed

File: .\CvPlot.cpp
Line: 1694
Expression: visiblePlotRegion.size() == oldVisibilityValues.size()
----------------------------------------------------------

OK I got the Assert recreated.
From the game save move the warrior 2 spaces south east and then 1 south west and the infinite loop should happen. The only other action I did after restarting the game was to click on the grid, the resources for each square button, and the score button.

I was unable to duplicate this bug. I tried both the direction you described:

And reversing east and west from what you said, which would explore more territory and might be what you meant:

Which tech do you pick at the beginning of your save?

Could you post a screenshot of where you end up at the end of the moves?

I could not duplicate the assert with either the 1/16 build or the 1/25 build.

-Iustus

As per the other thread, pick Polytheism and go 3SW and 1SE.

In the brand new build the problem went away.

Nicely done fixing my bug before I even posted it :)

Different Game Bug:

I was just playing along and clicked I think to go into a city. I got just a black screen. Nothing I could do except turn the computer off and on. The sequence of events was:

Play game, get black screen of death.
Restart from lastest save to try and recreate it.
Did not get black screen of death where I had it before.
Get black screen of death in 4 or 5 more turns.

Enclosed are the 2 save games before each of the crashes.
I was building military units mostly, along with quite a few religious buildings. My workers mostly built roads along with a few tile upgrades.

In the second game I switched to Beaucracy once the research for Civil Service was completed. Though I doubt this had anything to do with the bug as it happened after the first crash and right before the second one.

I will be out of town this weekend, so I'll check back in Monday evening and if nothing has been found I'll see what I can do about recreating this problem.

Attachments

• Black Screen Bug.CivWarlordsSave
    38.9 KB · Views: 321
  • Black Screen Bug 2.CivWarlordsSave
    39.2 KB · Views: 212
Version: 1/25/07 build, Asserts

Assert Failed

File: .\CvTeam.cpp
Line: 1612
Expression: iCount >= getAtWarCount(bIgnoreMinors)

To replicate, just end the turn.

ps I've gotten this Assert with the last build, 1/18 I think it was, but didn't report it because my computer locked, and then I saw the new build. So I tried with the new one in case it was fixed. But, I immediately got it the error with the 1/25 build.

Attachments

• Wodan BC-0445.CivWarlordsSave
    279.9 KB · Views: 222
As per the other thread, pick Polytheism and go 3SW and 1SE.

In the brand new build the problem went away.

Nicely done fixing my bug before I even posted it :)

Actually, the bug was not fixed, just the checks were removed. This bug will be fixed in the next build thanks to your report. Thank you.

-Iustus

Assert Failed

File: .\CvCityAI.cpp
Line: 5374
Expression: false

I have attached a save game - move the chariot southeast and end turn, you should get the infinite loop. This is the newest build (25 Jan).

I made a new thread and attached the save there, apparently you cannot attach the same file to more than one post (or I don't know how) here is a link to the thread

Version: 1/25/07 build, Asserts

Assert Failed

File: .\CvTeam.cpp
Line: 1612
Expression: iCount >= getAtWarCount(bIgnoreMinors)

To replicate, just end the turn.

ps I've gotten this Assert with the last build, 1/18 I think it was, but didn't report it because my computer locked, and then I saw the new build. So I tried with the new one in case it was fixed. But, I immediately got it the error with the 1/25 build.

This specific one looks like it was left over from the old bug, that is to say its fixed, but your save already was 'corrupted' by the bug.

The bug was caused when someone declared war on someone else, who was already the agressor in a war. In that case, the agressor would lose his warplan for his old war.

Try going back to the save before you declared war on Alexander. You will notice from your save, even before you end turn, if you turn on chipotle:

There should never be an 'unplanned' war. This is the bug. If you have a save from before you declared on him, it is likely either a limited war or a total war. The bug caused by the 1/8 and 1/16 build changed it to an unplanned war, which the 1/25 build is correctly reporting is an error, but it did not cause it, it was caused prior to your save.

Please confirm this if you have an earlier save. If anyone else gets this assert, in a case where it is not left over from a previous save (it is easy to check a save under chipotle to see if its already broken, just look for an unplanned war), I want to know about it.

-Iustus

Try going back to the save before you declared war on Alexander.
I'll give it a shot and let you know if I find anything. I'm just screwing around in this game anyway so it might be just as well to start a new game with the new build from the get-go. I usually trash all old games whenever I get an update but it's difficult with the frequent builds. :)

Wodan

I have some qustions about this Assert version.Is it meant to be a beta for new content? Because strangely it seems to me a lot more unstable than previous versions of Better AI.

Got an Assert Failed with 1/25 build. Have included save game and error message. Just end turn to reproduce.

Thanks.

Assert Failed

Attachments

• 4 player plains.CivWarlordsSave
    201.8 KB · Views: 299
Assert Failed

I have attached a save game - move the chariot southeast and end turn, you should get the infinite loop. This is the newest build (25 Jan).

I made a new thread and attached the save there, apparently you cannot attach the same file to more than one post (or I don't know how) here is a link to the thread

Same as cymru man
Better AI 07-01-25
Assert Failed

File:.\CvCity.cpp
Line:5374

My specs:
AMD 3500+
ATI X800XT CATALYST 7.1
2GB RAM

http://forums.civfanatics.com/uploads/63726/AutoSave_a._C._-_0600.CivWarlordsSave

The crash happened just 2-3 turns after in 570 AC

I am looking into this issue. In the meantime, you can just click the "Ignore Always" button, with no serious harmful effects. (The autogovernor gets in a loop trying to choose between 3 plots, cycling between them, eventually giving up).

-Iustus

I have some qustions about this Assert version.Is it meant to be a beta for new content? Because strangely it seems to me a lot more unstable than previous versions of Better AI.

No, it is intended to catch the last few bugs for our 1.0 release.

It depends on your definition of 'unstable'. If what you mean, as I suppose you do, is that you get a lot more messages than in the other builds, then you are correct.

But this is not the traditional definition of unstable.

The non-assert version is failing in exactly the same ways as the assert version, it just is not reporting it. Potentially it could be doing something very wrong, or it could be relatively minor.

For example, in the case of the governor 'infinite loop' assert, this is relatively harmless. It is something that we will fix, but it is not causing any real problem, the game will play fine with that bug, the governor is just having a hard time picking between two almost equal plots. It eventually does pick one.

On the other hand, in the case of that war plan bug, the war plans are getting corrupted either way. Prior to reporting it, it was happening but no one was noticing it. That could lead to quite a few problems.

There are some asserts that will fire when a crash is coming, but most are something much more subtle.

If you clicked "Ignore Always" every time an assert comes up, you would effectively be running the non-assert version. When you click ignore, it goes on to do what it would have done in the non-assert version.

This brings us to some terminology. Some people are refering to the assert window as a "crash". This is not using that word correctly. A "crash" is when the game halts completely, either 'crashing to desktop' meaning the game quits, but you can continue, or possibly causing your machine to restart. Some people refer to a 'hang' as a crash, which is somewhat acceptible. A 'hang' is when the machine locks up, you cannot do anything at all (sometimes ctrl-alt-del works, sometimes it doesnt).

Asserts are neither crashes or hangs. They are simply warnings that something doesnt seem quite right. Very often you can play the game fine past that point.

I hope this clears that up a bit.

-Iustus

07-01-25 Build
Press Enter to see behavior

Assert Failed

File: .\CvPlayer.cpp
Line: 7367
Expression: getNumOutsideUnits() >= 0

Another Assert

Assert Failed

File: .\CvPlayer.cpp
Line: 3101
Expression: iI != getID()

Just end the turn. Happens after Shaka finishes his turn. All I did that turn was change research from 90 to 80. Damn, it is too big... will be back with a link...

http://rapidshare.com/files/13577525/Napoleon_AD-1280.CivWarlordsSave.html

My computer is crashing (2 different games, with saves from the earlier game).

Screen goes black and all I can do is turn the machine off and on.

Any ideas?

I need to get the Asserts put back in, and also I will put in the cheat codes that you mentioned. Then I will monitor all these cheat code values and see if I can find anomolies.

Well when I get energetic.
Road trip for the weekend cancelled, so I should have time to work on this tomorrow or Sunday.

By the way I am VERY enthused about the new version you released :)
It is very awesome :)

Top Bottom