**SPOILER** Robi D vs Kuningas

robboo said:
dam you guys are close...this one should end quickly.

yeah and theres no choke point either

yeah so you bettter get lucky this time. :p

Well its been a while since i did an update here, but not that much has happened until now.

It 160BC and kuningas has slowly been gaining an advantage on the demographics numbers so i though it was time to go and trim them back a little. So i've launched a sea and land invasion on kuningas.

I figured i would use the land forces as a decoy before hitting him from the sea. The tiny problem is he seems to have had the same idea

I guess great nutters think alike:)

This might come down to who can overrun the others cities faster

Attachments

• Azt- 160BC.JPG
    Azt- 160BC.JPG
    209.8 KB · Views: 168
170 AD

The situation is not good. I've lost a city (Melbourne) and his Elephants are bulldozing through my defences so far. While the Spearmen are slowing them down they are not stopping them.

Basically right now is just a matter of hanging in there and trying to give him as much grief as possible. If i can hold him off i will get a chance to rebuild and push the game further. On a slightly brighter note i have found his horses and can hopefully cut them off. He has a group of units just out of visiblity in the city

320 AD

My Speamen have finally brought a holt to the advance of Kuningas Elephants. They also took out an advance group of Keshiks. I've just taken out 3 elephants that were on the Copper. It will be interesting to see whether he keeps attacking or pulls back and waits for some reinforcements.

In other news I've won a small victory of my own, I've taken out his holy city no less in the south. I got a slice of rng luck in one of the battles and was able to take out Turfan. I'm hoping that was his only supply of horses.

So Robi what do your odds look like. Just defending and holding out or can you beat him.

I need to keep him out first. I'm building a Settler in Brisbane. A risk but one i need to take otherwise i'll just be overrun later.

The last couple of turns have filled me with some optomism, but its still in favour of kuningas 30-70 at present.

770AD

My odds are looking better and better. Except for onw cat i've destroyed kuningas invasion force. His power numbers are only 20k more than mine (it was 80k just before the invasion). I've cut off his horses and raze his holy city. Here's then battlefield now.

Also i've got crossbows at my disposal now which should take care of any melee units he throws at me. As a bonus i got a GE which has peasearched 90% of engineering which will give me pikes:D . You may be wandering why i'm researching compass. Well i'm headed for Optics (although i'll finish off enginnering first) and Caravels. Why, well as you may have seen from my game against robboo they are very good at controlling the sea at this stage of naval technology, and at the moment kuningas can land his units with ease. If i can restrict him to the land then it makes my job easier. Also Kuningas has built the pyramids so i'm thinking he has swapped to police state so i can expect more attacks
Here is a shot of the lower half of my nation.

I still have a spear over where i razed his city as i don't want him coming back. I built a galley down there to tranfer some more units to back him up, but also thats where i will lauch my offensive from when i get the chance. Hopefully i will get in from a direction he is not expecting and take him out but thats a fair way off. In the meantime i've got another settler built and hopefully a few more on the way. After stuffing up the start i might have gotten myself back in this one

Robi you can check what he has switched to with ctrl+tab

police state really isnt worth it most of the time tbh, hereditry rule is better (or the whole point of building the pyramids- representation, is the bestest)

Robi you can check what he has switched to with ctrl+tab

police state really isnt worth it most of the time tbh, hereditry rule is better (or the whole point of building the pyramids- representation, is the bestest)

He changed to Police State and Vassalage. Also he seems intent on boating over a few units at a time, it almost as if he is using my tactic against robboo against me and trying to keep me preoccupied while he builds up the main force. And finally my spear thats down near him has seen a galley coming around the southern sea route so i wont be catching him out there.

1100AD

Well we have been averaging 4-5 turns per day so a lot has happened.
Basically Kuningas attacked with Elephants, cats and his new toy, longbows.
The elephants got smashed thanks to my new toy pikes as well as some well promoted spears.

As i mentioned eariler i was taking some risks, but one i needed to take to survive long term. Before his last attack i managed to build 2 settlers and the Colossus. This means he has a chance of taking Sydney but for the first time i'm ahead in both gold and production.

So the game hinges on the next battle. If kuningas takes Sydney the i'm dead, game over. If i beat him back then i'm looking at being able to take the lead as my new cities grow and take the fight to him. For the battle Kuningas has abondoned elephants and is going with a stack of cats and longbows. I did make a tactical mistake in not cutting the forest next to Sydney when i had an opening so that will make it difficult to counter attack.

Here are the screenshots. Wish me luck:)

1235AD

After dealing with Kuningas first attack, he changed tactics and fanned out.

This was the time to couter attack. I hit him with all my cats first soften up as many tagets as possible before using my other units. I was careful to avoid getting my units in the line of fire from the 4 cats just dropped off so i left some cats alive on purpose although they have suffered from collateral damage. I had some early rng luck which was cancelled out by some bad luck late on. It particularly hurt to lose my 4 promotion pike in a battle he had 97% chance of winning. Here is the situation after the battle.

This battle is starting to make Stalingrad look like a minor firefight. The longer i hold on, the more chance i have of getting on top down the track. I can't imagine he has many more reinforcements to bring in so if i can make him retreat then thats as good as a win for me.

1295 AD

I crushed kuningas attack, leaving him nothing in my territory for about a turn or 2, but he is persistant. He has also built a road to my border. I have caravels now so at least i can try to block off the sea route which will focus his attacks to one direction.

His new build up of troops contains a musketman. This is interesting on a number of levels. It means he is beelining research and skipping a lot of techs, which does surprise me a little, because he is in a way putting all his eggs in one basket. I was on the way to getting maceman so i will soon enough have a unit to match the muskets. Greniders however could be a little more tricky, but then it comes down to another problem for kuningas, how quickly can he make them, since he does have any techs to grow his cities further and he has built a new one in a while either.

It also struck me see the musket that he has a major weakness. Looking back he has attacked me with elephants, Keshiks, cats, archers, longbows and now muskets. Not one of these requires copper or iron. It has gone past the point of mearly conisidence or tactics that he has not used axes, spears or more tellingly knights. I can only conclude he does not have a metal around at his place. This fact along with his reseach of military only techs gives me confidence that the longer i hold him out the more the game will turn in my favor, since i have been researching other techs and i have been building new cities. I'm hoping to have time to get another settler out while he builds up for another attack. As long as i can keep a step behind him on the military front i think i can hold him out since defending is easier than attacking and once i have control of the seas i can start putting a bit of pressure on him.

All in all i think i'm in for another long game:)

Defense is easier....only way I lasted versus you.

Dont get to over confident. HE could be using his GP method of back filling certain techs

Robi if he doesnt have metals then you need to press home this advantage now before he gets units which dont require them.

He already has muskets and is probably getting grendiers soon.

My best chance is with the fact he can't get cannons and frigates, although the latter isn't as important since i've wiped out his navy with my caravels.

He switched to Rep and Merchantism which is more of a worry to me than when he was running police state. After his last unsuccessful attack he hasn't even tried to attack. Part of it comes down to the fact i can boat troops into any of his cities and he has been busy getting better defenders than warriors.

For me it just a matter of hanging in there. At the moment we have both built some new cities. Here is a view of my half of the map.

I can get merchantism in about 12 turns but i can't match the representation.

The simple fact is i stuffed up at the start and assumed we would be further apart and neglected the military a bit, by the time i saw how close we were it was a bit late to avoid losing a city, you live and learn.

Pretty much i'm always going to be a step behind him, my only viable option is to defend like hell and try limited attacks using boats, once i get galleons i can hit a city in one turn without him seeing me. So my chance of success is keeping my naval advantage and using it for small counter attacks. If i can take a city or two a can claw my way back into this

You should use that distraction attack on that city of his thats closest of you then attack one of his furthest cities via boat. If you can set it up right and not get caught you will draw forces towards you with the attack and then land your troops.

That's pretty much the plan. Also without even attacking him it helps me as it means he can't just throw everything at me and leave himself open at the back, since he wont know when an attack is coming. The fact that all of his cities are on the coast means i can attack off the boat if the defences are weak.

Also from the last few turns his power numbers have stopped going up as fast as before so he is definately investing in some infrastructure.

Top Bottom