SPOILER THREAD January 2017 - DUNE

Autumn Leaf

Since 1992
GOTM Dune Spoiler Thread

Warning! This thread contains SPOILERS!

Spoiler Walkthrough to 3000 BC :

3980 BC: Pyon0 SW onto qanat. Pyon1 founds Sietch Tabr ("ST"), sets production to Pyon.

3960 BC: Arrakeen builds UN. Pyon0 W to Oasis.

3940 BC: Pyon0 irrigates (via Fast Settler, "FS"). ST worker assigned to Oasis. REVOLUTION! (In a normal game I would wait for 3920, revolt, save, load, but this is a GOTM so I can't do that.)

3920 BC: Monarchy. Pyon0 roads.

3900 BC: Pyon0 NE.

3880 BC: Pyon0 roads.

3860 BC: Pyon0 through city to NE qanat. Food bin is full: switch ST worker to Spice.

3840 BC: Pop 2 - new worker auto-placed on Oasis. Pyon0 roads.

3820 BC: Pyon0 NE.

3800 BC: Pyon0 roads.

3780 BC: Pyon0 NE onto qanat.

3760 BC: ST produces Pyon1. Production to Temple. Pyon0 roads. Pyon1 goes to Pyon0 via road then SE.

3740 BC: Pyon0 N onto Oasis. pyon1 founds Cave of Rich ("CR"), sets production to Pyon.

3720 BC: Pyon0 irrigates.

3700 BC: Pyon0 roads.

3680 BC: pyon0 to CR, then S. See Coal SE.

3660 BC: pyon0 SW to Coal.

3640 BC: Pyon0 mines. CR worker to Coal. Only 1 food needed for pop 2.

3620 BC: Pyon0 roads.

3600 BC: ST pop 3 (new worker auto-placed on qanat), CR pop 2 (new worker auto-placed on Oasis). Pyon0 NW.

3580 BC: Pyon0 roads. Move CT worker from Coal to qanat (have 30 shields, 6 food).

3560 BC: ST produces Temple > Thopter. Pyon0 via CR to qanat and irrigates.

3540 BC: Pyon0 two tiles SW to qanat and irrigates. Pyon rushed in CT (4 shields, 8 coins) due to small miscalculation (was gonna come up one shield short).

3520 BC: CR produces Pyon > Temple. Pyon0 to roaded Plains W of ST, irrigates. Pyon1 cia CR to ST, HOMES to ST, then SE.

3500 BC: Pyon1 roads. Pyon0 via ST to Pyon1 then S onto Oasis.

3480 BC: Pyon0 roads. Pyon1 S then SE.S

3460 BC: Pyon1 roads. Pyon0 SE then S.

3440 BC: Pyon0 roads. Pyon 1 S to Pyon0 then founds Tasmin Sink ("TS"), sets production to Pyon, puts worker on Oasis shared with ST.

3420 BC: An Imperial Sardaukar appears from the fog two squares SW of ST. Curses, ST is just 3 turns from a Thopter but the Imperial can be there in two! I consider my options. I could move Pyon0 to defend ST, hoping to get lucky when the Sardaukar attacks. Settlers are usually lucky against Barbarians. But this Sardaukar is probably from an Outpost and will be Veteran, so it's 4.5 attack versus 1+some factor defense. Or I can rush the Thopter and make it a much safer 4 attack versus 1.5 defense. I rush the Thopter for 41 coins. Pyon0 goes SW from TS and reveals an Oasis. Then I realise I'm staking my capital city on the Thopter. I should have moved Pyon0 to ST anyway as a backup! Oh well, fingers crossed.

3400 BC: The imperial moves onto an Oasis. ST produces Thopter > Sandwalker. Pyon0 roads. To my relief Thopter0 kills the Sardaukar. I loop it around ST and land it in CR.

3380 BC: ST pop 4, CR pop 3. Thopter0 explores 5 squares NE from CR. Pyon0 W to Oasis.

3360 BC: Pyon0 roads. TS worker set to newly roaded Oasis. Thopter0 explores 5 squares SE from CR.

3340 BC: CR produces Temple > Thopter. Thopter0 explores 5 squares E from CR. Pyon0 E and irrigates.

3320 BC: Thopter0 explores 5 squares N from CR. Pyon 0 W and irrigates Oasis.

3300 BC: Thopter0 explores 5 squares NW from CR. Pyon0 via TS and E onto Plain to reveal Coal NE. TS worker moved to Coal.

3280 BC: TS pop 2. Pyon0 NE to Coal. ST produces Sandwalker > Guard. Thopter0 explores 5 squares W from CR, lands in ST.

3260 BC: Pyon0 mines. Thopter0 explores 5 squares NW from ST.

3240 BC: A Sardaukar appears from the fog 3 squares SW of ST. Thopter0 explores 5 squares W from ST and reveals a Blue Cannon 6 squares W. Pyon0 roads.

3220 BC: The Sardaukar moves NE, the Cannon moves S. Thopter0 kills the Sardaukar and becomes Veteran, woohoo! Pyon0 W. TS is about to pop a premature Pyon so I move the worker from the coal to th4e shared Oasis. Pyon is now two turns away so when it pops TS will have enough food to grow back to 2 pop.

3200 BC: ST produces Guard > Granary. Thopter0 explores 5 squares SW from ST but doesn't see the Cannon again. Guard0 fortifies in ST. Pyon0 roads. I move TS's worker back to the Coal and put a ST worker on the stared Oasis to prevent TS nabbing it next turn.

3180 BC: ST pop 5, CR pop 4. TS produces Pyon > Temple. CR produces Thopter > Sandwalker. I put the TS worker on the Coal. Pyon0 mines. Thopter0 to TS, Thopter1 to TS. Pyon1 to ST, HOME, NW to Plains.

3160 BC: Thopter0 explores 5 squares SW from TS, Thopter1 explores 5 sqaures SE. Pyon1 roads. Pyon0 leapfrogs Pyon1 to Oasis NW of ST.

3140 Pyon0 roads, Pyon1 irrigates, Thopter 0 explores 5 squares S from TS, thopter1 5 squares E. My airforce has now explored every square they can reach from my current three cities.

3120 BC: Pyon0 irrigates. Pyon1 leapfrogs Pyon0 NW toards some good land. My Thopters return to their home cities. I'm exploring NW because the Blue Cannon I saw W of me was heading S, so there's a good chance there's an AI NW and another SW. Good land looks closer to the NW. There's also good land close to the SE but I haven't seen any AI units down there. (Actually I know for sure there's an AI NW since I put it there, but hey, this is a playthrough and I'm just trying to work the clues I'm given as if I didn't have any special knowledge.) Hum, interesting. Just noticed there's a Grassland square visible out in the fog about 15 squares E that shows a road. Probably worth investigating after I finish with the NW.

3100 BC: Pyon1 roads, Pyon0 leapfrogs NW. Thopter0 explores 5 squares NW and sees a Blue Pyon on the edge of the fog, 7 squares NW of ST. Seems I am headed in the right direction! Thopter1 moves from CR to TS. For the next few turns I'll be sending them out in different directions every turn to check that my flanks are clear in case of war

3080 BC: CR produces Sandwalker > Guard. Pyon0 roads, Pyon1 leapfrogs NW. Sandwalker1 moves by road to ST and two squares NW, ending on the Oasis. Sandwalker0 leaves ST and ends on top of Pyon1. The Blue Pyon is now irrigating, so there is a city out there. Odds are it's the Blue capital and if so it will have a Barracks and a City Wall, probably also a Thopter, and by now, a Guard or two. Two Sandwalkers and two Thopters isn't going to be enough force to break that, but they can contain Blue while I found a city in the good land nearby. Memo: I'll need Veterans for war, so I need to build a Barracks soon. I put 58 coins into rushing ST's Granary and rearrange the ST and CR workers for max efficiency. I had been thinking of building the Colossus in ST to improve my cash flow, but perhaps I should reassess my priorities. (While testing the scenario during development actually I managed to kill Blue with just three Sandwalkers and two Thopters, which is when I added City Walls to the AI cities. I didn't want the released version to be so easy to beat!)

3060 BC: ST Granary > Colossus. Pyon1 roads, Pyon0 leapfrogs. Sandwalker0 ends on top of Pyon0. Sandwalker1 leapfrgs and - contact with Blue (Couhada). Buer Argaves, who looks a lot like Frederick the Great, offers peace. I refuse the offer but he sweetens it by offering all their knowledge (hah) and gold (47 coins). I accept. My Sandwalker can see irrigated land N of the Couhada Pyon and an Oasis S of the Pyon, so the city is probably NW of the Pyon.

3040 BC: Inter-turn a Couhada Sandwalker pops out to look at me and then moves away. CR Guard > Granary. Pyon0 roads, Pyon1 leapfrogs NE into the middle of the good land, with two Oasis and two qanats within reach. Sandwalker1 zags NE, NW. Sandwalker0 zags SW, NW.

3020 BC: Inter-turn a Couhada Thopter buzzes around. So they still have their Thopter, they have at least one Sandwalker, and they used to have at least one Cannon. My decision to make peace is vindicated. I don't have enough force yet to capture Blue's capital without using the save-load cheat (maybe not even then if they have more than a couple of Guards in the city), so in this GOTM I simply don't have enough force period. I need to build up my strength so that when I do attack, Blue is dead the same turn. To this end, Pyon0 founds Cliff Bight ("CB") and sets production to Guard. Pyon0 goes through CB to the Oasis on its NE. My Sandwalkers continue exploring the boundaries of the invisible Blue city. Sandwalker0 finds Spice NW of the city. Sandwalker1 spots a gap in the irrigation S of the city that might let me see the city next turn, if the Couhada Sandwalker moves away.

3000 BC: Pyon0 roads. Sandwalker0 moves onto the Spice. The Couhada Sandwalker went into the city, so Sandwalker0 manages to sneak up to the city, revealing, as expected, walled and 5-population Funer Plain, the Couhada capital.

DUNE 3000 BC.png

At 3000 BC I have 4 cities, 290k population, and am #1 in most things. Arrakeen has 11 population, none of the other top 5 cities has more than 5 population. ST is 5 pop but its food bin is full so next turn it will have 6 pop. I rearrange workers. ST could build the Colossus in 33 turns. Too long! I can't afford to rush a Factory but I do rush a Library - now it's just 20 turns to Colossus, and hopefully I'll be able to rush something else and bring that time down even more. I probably need to force Pyons from CR and TS to found cities SW and SE where I can see good land.

Last edited:
Top Bottom