• In anticipation of the possible announcement of Civilization 7, we have decided to already create the Civ7 forum. For more info please check the forum here .

Squats, Bench, Deadlift: This is your fitness thread

Focusing on reps isn't the worst idea, because consistent strength is necessary to real-life applications. But don't poo-pooh occasionally going through the strength programs that specifically target your 2RM. Anecdotally, I was shooting for a 20RM target on bench and was stuck at the target weight for 14-15 reps for months - multiple training cycles. I did a 6 week 2RM cycle for bench and popped back to 22 reps on the previous target. At 22 reps, it almost doesn't feel like you're doing real work, you're just tiring yourself out.
I hit a ceiling at the bench. I then did a kind of training that worked well for me. I guess you could call it a pyramid-and-back set. Rolls right off the tongue.

It was a regular set to max; 10x60%, 6x80%, 2x100% (max)
Then I did the same thing backwards but slower: fail to 80%, fail to 70%, fail to 60%, fail to 50%, fail to 40%, fail to 20%.
All these sets I would do until failure (with someone spotting) - remove some weight, and continue.
At the end would empty the bar (20kg/44lb) and do it until I couldn't anymore just to squeeze out the last fatigue.
This way you use all the energy that's still left. Quite quickly the ceiling you were on becomes easy.
This allowed me to advance to the weight I had set for myself as a goal.

^^We called those drop sets. The bar has a bunch of small plates on it. The spotter can change the plates for you. The time you can no longer press the empty 20kg bar is exactly the moment your gym crush walks by.

Started doing back squats again today after not doing them for ages. Felt pretty good altho my low back hurts a lil after (in a good way).

I'm about 100lb below my peak but that's fine for now.

Ramping up a bit now;

1716061500456.jpeg

My gjennomsen. farts counter fluctuates a lot too.

Well sure. Every fart is different. I think based on this, the average is 118 calories per fart, but that seems high. A food calorie is actually kCal, so I guess that converts to 0.118. Going back to the original title of the thread, I had a workout shirt that said don't fart. Don't fart, don't fart.

Please do not make any funny comments about fart this time. Fart (Norwegian) = Velocity (English).

To quote a Norwegian rally driver; ‘it’s not the fart that kills you it’s the smell’ Smell (Norwegian) = Bang/Boom (English).

Came off the bike today feeling a bit dizzy so I had a look at the temperature profile of the ride and discovered an average of 27 C with max 31 and min 23. Consumed almost 2 L of water (0,5 of them mineralized), a banana and an apple. So that’s ~2,5 kg I guess. Shocked to see a mer loss of 1 kg before hitting the shower. So be careful people when exercising in hot* environments.

* yes, average of 27 in Norway (May) is really hot.

IMG_0381.jpeg

Hear you. And it’s a wake up call for me really. I’ve done rides in 32-35 C restricted as sprints of 1-1,5 hours just to dive straight into the ocean and be ok afterwards. But almost 3 hours in 27 C is another level. Imagine those TdF guys riding for 6 hours in 30+ 🤫

Oh, and of course after such events fill up potassium, magnesium and sodium levels again. Yes, in that order.

Please do not make any funny comments about fart this time. Fart (Norwegian) = Velocity (English).

To quote a Norwegian rally driver; ‘it’s not the fart that kills you it’s the smell’ Smell (Norwegian) = Bang/Boom (English).

Came off the bike today feeling a bit dizzy so I had a look at the temperature profile of the ride and discovered an average of 27 C with max 31 and min 23. Consumed almost 2 L of water (0,5 of them mineralized), a banana and an apple. So that’s ~2,5 kg I guess. Shocked to see a mer loss of 1 kg before hitting the shower. So be careful people when exercising in hot* environments.

* yes, average of 27 in Norway (May) is really hot.

View attachment 692521
Did you legg until you merknaded?

Did you legg until you merknaded?

No, I did not legg til merknad. Merknad was lagt til in my post #1451. Would you prefer if I legger til merknad in my next update? I think if everyone la til merknad this world would be a better place. Or am I completely out to lunch?

Top Bottom