Stander>Epic>Marathon Turn Equivalents

Pocatello

Chieftain
Greetings,

So I am browsing the forums here for multiple different strategies. I've been playing the Civ franchise for quite some time and have 500+ hours on V (dwarfed by many, I'm sure). However I mostly play on marathon, as my cousin enjoys a longer game as opposed to it being quicker paced. I play with him frequently.

Sometime I tire of marathon and I will solo play standard games. Either pace I've been playing Emperor for casual, Immortal for seriously, and rarely touch Deity.

Anyway, browsing the forums here I notice a lot of people benchmark what should be done by T100, T150, etc. However I was wondering if there is a standardized turn equivalent from pace to pace.

If people are aiming for, let's say, a T150 domination win on Immortal standard pace. What should I be aiming for in marathon pace? If there are standardized turn equivalents from pace to pace, please point me in the right direction to find such standardization!

Thank you for any input!

Marathon has a x3 modifier to most of the stuff, so that's the rough guideline.

However, many things don't translate the same through game speeds - such as combat and movement - so it's hard to really compare the two, especially as the actual circumstances will vary on a game-by-game basis. In general, marathon is easier than Standard game speed.

Quick is 2/3. Gun to my head, I would guess Epic is x2, but don't hold me to that.

Marathon has a x3 modifier to most of the stuff, so that's the rough guideline.

However, many things don't translate the same through game speeds - such as combat and movement - so it's hard to really compare the two, especially as the actual circumstances will vary on a game-by-game basis. In general, marathon is easier than Standard game speed.

Yea I've actually thought about that, with movement speed. Since movement speed and distances can't vary (unless of course you force yourself to play small in standard pace and huge in marathon) you end up with more time to move across the map etc.

It seems with the longer worker times they counteracted that with tile improvements, but your workers are still going to get around relatively faster in comparison to standard games.

Thank you for the info, helps tremendously.

That being said, do strategies greatly differ? I see a lot of people saying how two scouts to start is a strong start. In a marathon game would one be a stronger play? Do strategies differ that much?

Thanks again!

Epic is 1.5 x Standard for most things.

I should have know with Quick being 2/3 that Epic would be 3/2, but 3x for Marathon and 2x for Epic just seems to follow logically. I keep forgetting that I need to abandon logic in real life.

Yea I've actually thought about that, with movement speed. Since movement speed and distances can't vary (unless of course you force yourself to play small in standard pace and huge in marathon) you end up with more time to move across the map etc.

It seems with the longer worker times they counteracted that with tile improvements, but your workers are still going to get around relatively faster in comparison to standard games.

Thank you for the info, helps tremendously.

That being said, do strategies greatly differ? I see a lot of people saying how two scouts to start is a strong start. In a marathon game would one be a stronger play? Do strategies differ that much?

Thanks again!

Since your units won't have their movement slowed/enhanced by altering the game pace, early game warfare will be 'easier' on slower speeds. Early- to mid game units will also be of more importance, and suddenly some units that could otherwise be seen as quite redundant will play a much more important role.

Still, I guess you could still view the x1.5/x3 guideline as a good basis.

Since your units won't have their movement slowed/enhanced by altering the game pace, early game warfare will be 'easier' on slower speeds. Early- to mid game units will also be of more importance, and suddenly some units that could otherwise be seen as quite redundant will play a much more important role.
Not only because of the "faster" movement, but also because producing units takes longer which hurts the AI really hard, as they lose units still as easily when you attack them.

And of course, Barbarians also mean a lot trouble for the AI, not so much on Deity, but up to Emperor the AI really struggles to not lose their units one-by-one.

This gives me some good insight, thanks a million ladies/gents.

I'll probably go home today and try to sink into an immortal standard game to try some of the things I've read over the past few days. After years of playing the game it's always cool to still learn new things!

In addition to what you said, the civilopedia can help your learning experience out also.

I 'grew up' in Civ V on standard pace, and don't really 'grok' other speeds .

To paraphrase Morticia Addams, "I love what you've done with the Game, ... but ... marathon ??"

Yeah, I pretty much play Standard exclusively. Quick just doesn't seem to have enough turns for military stuff to impact the game, and longer speeds tend to emphasise military too much, which makes the game too easy.

Top Bottom