Start Location Advice

Ellerby

Chieftain
Just starting a game as England and got this start location. I'm trying to improve at the game and would be very interested to hear some different opinions on where you would choose to settle and why.

I'm thinking maybe ill move down and to the left, on the coastal hill, but obviously this means losing a little time. How bad is this? is it something you would try to avoid?

Thanks in advance for your help/time.

Attachments

• 2018-05-02 (1).png
    2018-05-02 (1).png
    3.9 MB · Views: 771
That seems like a horrible location. There is way too much sea all around, especially ocean tiles, which will never be any good unless there is Auckland in the game and you become its suzerain. Also there are almost no valuable resources visible. Moving is worth it for a really good starting position, which this is not.

That seems like a horrible location. There is way too much sea all around, especially ocean tiles, which will never be any good unless there is Auckland in the game and you become its suzerain. Also there are almost no valuable resources visible. Moving is worth it for a really good starting position, which this is not.
So what would you do here?

There is no reason to settle on the coast. It will just impair your capital all game. I would move your warrior up 1 tile North West. If he uncovers a decent option then walk your settler up to the hill NW of the wheat. (2 turns which sucks) Other than that I'd restart. I wouldn't settle the wheat.. there are no other food tiles near so your growth will be crippled until you get a trader and granary. Not the worst I've seen but definitely not a fun start.

hahaha, ok assuming you cant, where would you go?

Out for a beer, since playing on that map would not be worth my time ;)

Seriously though, a good starting location is very important for a pleasant game - that's what I like anyway. I like to start on plains hills on a river, with valuable luxuries (preferably spices or dyes on jungle hills) within the first ring of tiles, and some nice bonus resources on top of that (bananas on jungle plains hills, yummy), and with some mountains at the extreme edges so they boost my campus. If I want to build a harbor at some stage, I start near the coast but not on it, given the low value of sea tiles.

Why can't you restart? That really would be the best option.

stay where you are, settle and try to ecpand rapidly

Ok warrior moved up 1 tile NW, I'm guessing the obvious choice here is the river tile NE of the warrior now?

Attachments

• 2018-05-02 (2).png
    2018-05-02 (2).png
    4.2 MB · Views: 555
move that warrior to the forested hill. He may reveal something worthwhile. If I was not doing a reroll I would settle on the plains hill for the instant production boost. Work the wheat to grow and quickly find a second city spot.

You moved the warrior as I was typing my initial response. What speed are you playing on?

I agree with your assessment though. That spot offers some possibilities. But you still want to get your next city up ASAP.

Out for a beer, since playing on that map would not be worth my time ;)

Seriously though, a good starting location is very important for a pleasant game - that's what I like anyway. I like to start on plains hills on a river, with valuable luxuries (preferably spices or dyes on jungle hills) within the first ring of tiles, and some nice bonus resources on top of that (bananas on jungle plains hills, yummy), and with some mountains at the extreme edges so they boost my campus. If I want to build a harbor at some stage, I start near the coast but not on it, given the low value of sea tiles.

Why can't you restart? That really would be the best option.
Its not that I can't restart i'd just like to be able to try and overcome poor starts. If ocean tiles are so useless does this mean that England, having a coastal bias, get more poor starts then average?

Ok warrior moved up 1 tile NW, I'm guessing the obvious choice here is the river tile NE of the warrior now?

NW of the warrior. NE is still very food poor. While settler travels, warrior might reveal somth more. What diff it is?

Difficulty is Emperor, speed is standard.

Something else that ive just noticed that is annoying me is that the tool tip, describing the type of tile, when you mouse over it has stopped appearing now. Is this a known issue? It's happened in a few games now.

a good starting location is very important for a pleasant game

Everybody has their own definitions of a 'pleasant game'. Sometimes overcoming a bad start is a joyful experience too. Though not on a too high difficulty.

In this one I'd gamble and settle on the bare hill between two forest tiles (where the river starts), or move closer to amber.

I'd settle the plains hill NW of the wheat. If I could stomach 1 more turn without settling, then the plains hill just east of the cattle.

It's not that ocean starts are always terrible... just that yours is terrible If there was a fish or 2 there it wouldn't be that bad at all especially after a harbor and lighthouse.

Difficulty is Emperor, speed is standard.

Something else that ive just noticed that is annoying me is that the tool tip, describing the type of tile, when you mouse over it has stopped appearing now. Is this a known issue? It's happened in a few games now.

Deselecting the unit and then mousing over the tile may help. At least it does so for me.

If I could stomach 1 more turn without settling, then the plains hill just east of the cattle.

East of the cattle is better, as it gives you more food/production&future chop tiles closer, that will help you compensate your walking.

I also thought of a very fitting theme for this start ;)
Spoiler :

Ok, this is what I went for. Turn 4 starting city seems painful, but hey ho, i'll run with it. My warrior did get a free builder from a goody hut on the tile he is currently sitting on and there is another goody hut to the north.

So my next questions would be, as I was already building a builder (then got a free one) would you switch to a scout now? or are two builders worth it? And what would be your priority for the free builder?

I'm not trying to get you to play my game for me. Just curious as to how peoples thought processes and playstyles differ from what I would do.

I find this sort of discussion extremely interesting so thank you all very much for your input. :)

Attachments

• 2018-05-02 (3).png
    2018-05-02 (3).png
    4.6 MB · Views: 456
I'd go warrior or settler. You'll need a lux soon

I would switch production to something else (scout or slinger). But more importantly I would switch the worked tile. 13 turns till 2 pop is way to long!
With the free builder I would switch to a 3 food tile until 2 pop. (Without the free builder I would maybe have chosen the 2 food, 2 cogs stone tile.)

Top Bottom