Start position question

Tallanas

Gunboat Diplomat
I would be interested to know what people think of this start location I received just now - Regent level game, continents, playing as the Ottomans. The start location was the yellow blob.

I have explored a bit with the settler/worker just to give you an idea of the map.

The question is, where would you prefer your cities? Red dots or blue dots? Or would green be strong - certainly you could have a nice capital on the left hand green dot.

If it makes any difference, I would like to play the game, if possible, going for culture as much as early war annihilation of the enemies - the reason being, I need to look at the end game, since I rarely get past the IA!

**edit - had a problem with the image - had to repaint, and the left hand green blob should be one square NE of its current location :) **

Tal

The red dot on the hill looks pretty good. Two BG, access to ocean, hill defense, and after culture expansion, some wheat.

I think I would've put one east of the north red dot, one west of the southe red dot, one on the green dot near the cows, and one on the hill to the west of the wheat.

The yellow start dot is a fine location - get grass food on city tile. Only time I move the 1st settler is if its on floodplain (disease icky early)

I never build cities on hills unless its an iron mine - Defence is not an issue early and you should never have to directly defend your capital.

Ideal 2nd city location on the top elephant - port + stat of zeus.

I would have built on the red dots. Then on the forest north of the wheat, the westernmost ivory, and the forest east of the cow.

Thanks for your thoughts, guys. I eventually went for the red dots, and it seemed to work fine - but then, i now think that the start position is nice enough to support a number of options.

The only problem with the map is the neighbours! Aztecs and Incas... Great :) Oh, and no Iron!!

Ah well, can't have everything!

Err...you do know that you won't be able to see Iron until you have Iron Working, right?

Top Bottom