Steam Achievement "Terror From The Deep"

This achievement is bugged, but the exact nature of the problem with it is unclear. I've completed several games without ever controlling land cities and have not earned the achievement. Reports on the Steam forum vary, with some people saying they've gotten it, and some saying that they have not.

My thought is to try to figure out exactly what causes the achievement to be granted (or not granted, if you prefer). As such, any feedback from players who have earned it (or tried to earn it and failed) about the type of game(s) they were playing and anything else of note will be helpful. Thanks in advance. Here is my contribution:

My latest attempt was NSA/Engineers/Scanner/Lab on Frigid Eta Vulpeculae b. My starting location had the option to start next to land, but because of past failures to earn this achievement I opted to start in a position where I would not control any land tiles. I moved farther away from land during play, and was careful to avoid claiming any land tiles as I built new cities and purchased new tiles. I never conquered any enemy cities. In the end I was victorious, but the achievement was not awarded.

I earned this as Duncan, won through one of the Affinity Victories (I think it was Emancipation) and conquered no enemy cities.

Pretty sure I had land tiles as a part of my naval expansion / tile purchasing. Should still have the end-game save knocking around if people think that would be useful.

Should still have the end-game save knocking around if people think that would be useful.

I'll take a look at it if you have it. Maybe I can spot something unusual or different from my games. My latest wild speculation is that maybe Ice counts as land. Your save might disprove that theory and spawn others.

I'll take a look at it if you have it. Maybe I can spot something unusual or different from my games. My latest wild speculation is that maybe Ice counts as land. Your save might disprove that theory and spawn others.

I think you have to have ZERO land cities at any point in the game. Not counting Earthling Settlements which I had plenty of.

I got the bug very easily.

Hell, I was surpirsed that I got the No War when I attacked a Station.

I also got the achievement no problem :) Worked plenty of Land Tiles, so that's not an issue. I also combined it with the Pacifism achievement, so I didn't conquer any land cities since I suspected that would count against me.

But yeah, I only founded water cities, moved them around a lot and didn't conquer anything, and I got the achievement.

Oh, and my victory was Mind Flower. It was on a land tile, I think, but that was no problem.

Any word on this? It's the only achievement I haven't unlocked and I'm desperate! Here are the other two threads that show up about this on Google:
  1. "Terror From the Deep" Achievement
  2. "Terror from the Deep" not unlocking

The advice that seems to have worked for most people on those forums is to play as 2 oceanic players in hot seat mode and have one of them dominate the other quickly. I've tried doing this several times and it doesn't seem to help.

I've played around with various settings like map-size, biome, ocean level, and difficulty but none of that seems to matter. Nor does having land tiles within your borders. The victory condition doesn't seem to matter either. Some players seem to be unlocking the achievement regardless of these settings, while some (like me) just seem to be out of luck.

I'm wondering if it's something a little more abstract like one of these:
  • Being logged into My2K with the Starships unlocks.
  • Using quick combat / quick movement.
  • Having all cities on ocean tiles instead of coast tiles.

I have a sinking feeling (pun!) that these ideas will also lead nowhere. It's infuriating!

I'm wondering if it's something a little more abstract like one of these:
  • Being logged into My2K with the Starships unlocks.
  • Using quick combat / quick movement.
  • Having all cities on ocean tiles instead of coast tiles.

I have a sinking feeling (pun!) that these ideas will also lead nowhere. It's infuriating!

Nope. Just tried logging out of My2K, disabling quick combat, disabling quick movement, and moving both cities to ocean tiles before conquering. Still nothing.

I got this very quickly, having always had quick movement (but not combat) enabled and My2K logged in. I have however lost the save I referred to, above.

Both Ocean and Coastal plots. Unsure what could be the problem here, might be worth starting a thread in the bug subforum.

I'm doing this in my current game. My games take a while, but I will report if it fires for me and make the save available when I'm done.

Working land rules won't be a problem. I agree, the main thing is to only found in water and take none in war (particularly none that are land)

Working land rules won't be a problem. I agree, the main thing is to only found in water and take none in war (particularly none that are land)

There's definitely more to it than this though. I've made a point of not touching land cities in all (~20) of my attempts now. :-/

Try this setup:
- 2 Player Tiny Map
- You play as NSA
- Opponent plays as Korea
- Start building ships right away
- Conquer his capital as soon as you have a few melee ships

That should easily award you the achievement or if not at least reduce the possible reasons for why the achievement would not be awarded, making the conquering-part a very likely candidate.

Fired just fine for me. Save attached. (Just send last unit through the portal)

You have to be careful about not taking land cities with spoils of war, otherwise it's pretty straight-forward.

Attachments

• Duncan Hughes_TURN 271.CivBESave
    1.3 MB · Views: 500
Fired just fine for me. Save attached. (Just send last unit through the portal)

You have to be careful about not taking land cities with spoils of war, otherwise it's pretty straight-forward.

Thank you. I'm not sure what you did differently, but your save worked! Now I finally have 100% of the achievements. :king:

Top Bottom