Steam servers are too busy

k_mattinson

Chieftain
I currently have a copy of Civilization 5 for mac. When I try and open the game, my system first goes through the process of validating my files, and then try to update my system. As soon as it does that I get the following message.

The Steam servers are currently too busy to handle your request. Please try again in a few minutes.

I have tried to uninstall the program from my hard-drive in the hopes that a re-install will help, but nothing happens.

Steam say, deleting Civ 5, and then nothing. The program is still there.

Any thoughts?

You can try to uninstall steam and re-install. If you can get steam to run, you can try changing servers in the connection options.

If you cannot get onto a steam server, to verify files, it probably will not let you do anything with V. Everything is done through steam.

Okay. How do I uninstall steam? I'm a long time Windows user, and am unfamiliar with a lot of basic Mac processes.

Why is this game so dependant on this engine?

Why can't I just play the game that I bought without all the extra stuff?

Short answer: Firaxis/2K Games decided that the advantages of integrating Steamworks (which is free and offers this, this, and this among other optional things) outweighed developing those features themselves. While Steam is of course not perfect, from the developer's standpoint it can be quite helpful.

To answer your problem, I don't think reinstalling is the solution.

On Mac
Start Steam
Click on Steam > Preferences > Downloads tab
Under Download region, select a different but relatively close region.
Try launching or installing the game once more.

Or if the issue is clientregistry.blob you can find that file in Steam's folder and delete it then start Steam and it will redownload a new one. If that doesn't work try the next paragraph below:

On Mac
If the issue is isolated to a few Steam games, please exit from Steam and go to the ~/Users/[username]/Library/Application Support/Steam/SteamApps and delete any listed .ncf files for the specific games. Once complete, please restart Steam to test the issue.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5483-YUFN-0521

If you still want to uninstall Civ5/Steam:

Unfortunately I have no experience with uninstalling programs from a mac, however you should be able to uninstall Steam just like you uninstall any other program.

To uninstall Civ5, if its not working from whatever mac's version off Add or Remove Programs is, log into steam, right click Civ5 in your Library, and select "Delete Local Content".

If you still have a decent windows PC or get one in the future, you can also install Steam and download the PC version of Civ5, as a nice feature of Steam is that if you buy the Mac version you also get access to the PC version, and vice versa.

Top Bottom