Steampunk World Scenario

Just so you know. I'm working on a new version using Balthasar's old lost worlds map. There's unit lines for 31 civs to be added which is why it's taking so long. That and the fact I keep chopping and changing the civs.

Edit - you'll see from the above image that I've swapped out Britain for a map of the world ;)

Since Scotland are knocked out of the Euros I plan on working on the scenario this weekend. I'm taking a methodical approach and working through the Civs one by one to set up their unit lines and pedia entries.
First Civ up is The Commonwealth

Hi Vuldacon, hopefully more fun to play than build. Hope you are well.
Yes indeed, building the game is extreme and far more difficult than most people know. Most give up trying to make a game because they discover what will be require to finish it.

Thanks, I am doing OK ... just not as OK as I would like :)

Good to "see" you and hope you are well and having some happy times.

I totally agree about making a game. Glad to hear you're OK. Much the same with me, although I can't complain too much. I've been working from home for what seems like forever and I'm enjoying the extra time it's brought to my daily life - no longer do I need to spend 2 hours each day in the car. I've started growing my own veg, cooking some of the family meals and doing a lot of walking (fortunate enough to live in the country). Once I crack brewing my own beer or distilling my own moonshine I will be set for life :)

I did say Scotland were out of Euros and so they are in-game. Here is the independent nation of Canada in our alternate timeline. An amalgamation of French, Scots, English settlers and Native Americans. An observant eye might be able to discern their neighbours the USA and Confederated Tribes of Native North America (short name: Confederacy). Just a bit of fun being able to add Sandris' Highland Grenadier unit to my scenario!

King Arthur... Happy to hear you are basically a "Happy Camper" as is said.

My Wife and I have a Large Glass Greenhouse built as part of our Home that stretches across the back of the House. It is Great to grow your own food and love to cook.

I use to make Great Wines and other "beverages" years ago and that is also a Fun Hobby :beer:

The Game is Looking Very Good and Glad to see you are having some Fun making it. That does help "These Days" :thumbsup:

Happy Camper Indeed :lol:. We're actually thinking about is getting a camper van and travelling around Britain and Ireland. The pandemic has it's downsides but it has made me reassess a lot of things, especially with regard to a slower pace of life and enjoying the little things.

Happy Camper Indeed :lol:. We're actually thinking about is getting a camper van and traveling around Britain and Ireland. The pandemic has it's downsides but it has made me reassess a lot of things, especially with regard to a slower pace of life and enjoying the little things.

I say DO IT because life is short. My Wife and I had planned to do exactly the same... travel around for a year and enjoy the sites but Life's Events have prevented it.

...Just take along a Face Mask, First Aid Kit, Water, Food, Money, Credit Card, Body Guard :lol: and a Big Gun in case you run into some Zombies along the way :lol:

Seriously though, That would be Great and I wish you all the best with your endeavors :thumbsup:

I was quite intrigued by the scenario/mod when it was initially released. Played it several times as different factions, and liked it a lot. It has a unique theme and style not typically found in Civ3 scenarios. Certainly looking forward to any sort of update! :D

I forgot again about this until Alek liked my post sorry lol, so I have finally had a look at @Midnight-Blue766 's copy of King Arthur's Steampunk World scenario and it's pretty darn cool! I tested it with my disc install of Civ3 (steam install users will need to modify label files). I like the GUI, music and the units look awesome too. :)

However I notice his version is dated 2017 and @KingArthur has posted a number of updated versions from various dead onedrive links since then so presumably it's not quite the optimal version but I guess it's all we have right now, so I've repacked with 7zip (down to 260MB) and uploaded a copy of the mod to CivFanatics servers to preserve the work here:
https://www.civfanatics.com/users/downloads/civ3/SteampunkWorld.7z

Although I did also notice KingArthur's post here where he links to an atomic gamer version and 3 updates. Using the atomic gamer restoration trick I restored that version and applied the updates to it. This version from 2012-13ish was in a zip file called Steampunk Earth and it contained 2 biqs and 2 support folders. One for Steampunk Earth and one for Steampunk Worlds. Whereas the 2017 one above seems to only be Steampunk Worlds but it uses an earth map so I got a bit confused lol!!! The non-Earth map biq appears to be a sandbox mode which seems unique so to be safe I've preserved a copy of this older version of the work too:
https://www.civfanatics.com/users/downloads/civ3/SteampunkEarth.7z

Sadly neither version appears to have the gorgeous custom title screens made by @Blue Monkey that KingArthur talks about on page 1 in this post:
Blue Monkey has created some splendid Title Screens.
One shown below and one based on the banner image on the OP. Let us know which one you prefer.

[EDIT: Jigsaw puzzle joke removed and wording improved since my casual frivolity was unintentionally triggering]
It would be good if a more complete current version (ie with the various updates and addons posted over the last decade) could be found, as then I can just preserve that one and scrub these other older ones I've uploaded (as I'm operating under strict space saving guidelines from The_J). Like I said above I noticed KingArthur was posting versions up until not too long ago in 2020 so one of those last ones would be cool! Finger's crossed KingArthur's current attempts to incorporate Balthasar's beautiful multiple worlds in space map will get a public release at some point too! :)

As is often the case with old projects there's not many working screenshots left in this thread so I took a couple shots of the Midnight-Blue 2017 copy if people want to see how cool it looks...

Nice GUI!
1659716683048.png

Custom city background
1659716997830.png

Last edited:
feel like this is all just bits and pieces of a big messy decade long jigsaw puzzle lol.
A bit of a rude way to put it, even though there are some elements of truth in it. You are trying to unify WIPs from a long-term project which includes things which were posted primarily for internal use, previews of elements at a beta stage, and two completely different playable scenarios - one by Balthasar and one by King Arthur. Those two were planned to be the first of several, all of which were already at some stage of development. Balthasar is no longer with us so whatever he had been working on is lost to us, I lost all of my Civ mod-work (completed projects & wips) going back to even my pre-CFC days in a bad hardware failure, then there are the closures, database failures, and items lost during restructurings of various sites, ... you will find a few elements I uploaded in the CFC db. Some ready for ingame use, some only provided as previews.

Just to give you an idea of the extent of the loss. We were working together on a scenario which would have been a mashup of sources including ERB's Barsoom and Space: 1889. Units had been made for us by several people. Tech lines were partially in place. Title and era splashes were in progress. Part of my contribution was to have been two maps - one of a green Mars when Barsoomian culture was at its height, and an older, drier Mars closer to the settings of the source stories. All that remains of my work is these jpeg previews. For some reason the policy at CFC now is that imageshack is not an approved media source. Meaning that even previews will be missing from threads in many cases.

We're not responsible for the Second Law of Thermodynamics. Please don't refer to our labor of love as a mess, just because it doesn't fit an ideal you have imagined.

Top Bottom