Steampunk World Scenario

Hey, King Arthur, I found this map in the Altered maps thread:

Have you ever thought of making an Earth map based on such a depiction? It wraps around and, more importantly, it'd be spot-on for the pre-aviation era, when the focus was on ruling the oceans.

In replacing Great Britain in Balth's original Lost Worlds map I looked at lots of different earth projections. At one stage I was toying with a journey to the centre of the earth possibility with some abstraction of an underground tunnel underneath the Arctic Circle. I also briefly had mapped out Amasia (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amasia_(continent)#/media/File:Amasia.jpg) in the biq but it didn't work out. Eventually, I plumped for copying, tile by tile, Kal-e's lovely 140x140 Earth map. It fitted very well but I had to cut off a bit of Argentina (which conveniently allowed me the excuse for placing it at the bottom of the ocean).

edit: apologies to any Chileans as I believe part of you sunk with Argentina too.

Spoiler :

edit2: the earth is more pacific than shown above.

Last edited:
Era 1 which is all about a steaming ahead into Era 2. Lots of wonders to build and improvements to 'level up' your cities. You'll be stuck with Riflemen and Cavalry for a while.

Era 2 Now you can start to 'gear up' and build armies to crush your enemies. Let's 'analyse' how best to take your foes apart. Note, subs give Earth civs the chance to explore the depths of the Ocean (what will they find there?).

Era 3 "What, I thought this was a Steampunk scenario, you've gone all Art-Deco on us", I hear you cry. "Robot Infantry!" I reply. “Shocking. Positively shocking.”

Era 4 "Now we're in a Space Opera". Swords & Spaceships. Nylons and Ray Guns with Interplanetary Warfare mixed in.

My Steampunk scenario had you build the Solar Steamer (spaceship). In Lost World's I will use Balthasar's Time Machine as he intended.

Building The Time Machine is the perfect victory condition. Build the Time Machine -> Win The Game -> Game Ends -> Start a new Game from The Beginning!

Spoiler :

Last edited:
And here's where I need some help. Some unit slots to fill. I want high quality ones though.

Era 1
Spoiler :

Era 2
Spoiler :

Era 3
Spoiler :

Era 4
Spoiler :

The Civs
They are pretty much set in stone but if I were to receive a really convincing case for a replacement I would be inclined to bump Manator and/or the Warhoon Horde. There's really only space for a Civ on the Moon and Pellucidar due to overcrowding in all other places.

edit: where the Flag column = N that means I don't have a leaderhead for the civ. I'm just looking for static flag leaderheads so if you know of any that might fit please let me know. Or if you would be willing to make one I would be very grateful :please: (longshot - :sniper:)

Last edited:
Maps - subject to change

Spoiler :

Barsoom

The Moon

Northern Europe (with the Northern Lights in view)

Continental Europe, Eurasia and North Africa

Sub-Saharan Africa (where the Sahara is a green marshland)

North America where the likely contenders are Mexico and the USA. As a Scotsman, oh how I would like to place a New Caledonia in place of all those British cities in Canada (but this is not a Fantasy scenario ;)).

Central and South America - a hotbed of rebellion

At the bottom of the ocean - our first antediluvian Civ, the Vril-ya. Exiled Space Nazis or Forgotten Gods of Mankind (I haven't decided yet).

The Old Great Ones, a branch of Cthuvians led by the Great Cthulhu who currently sleeps.

In the Hollow Earth (Pellucidar) you will find the tyrannical Mahar and the primitive Amoz.

Last edited:
In ye olde days, this is where I would say - "you can post now". But I realise Civ 3 is much more a Sleepy Hollow Backwater than the Bustling Metropolis of old. Regardless, I welcome discourse with old friends like Blue Monkey, Takhisis and jlvfr. New Amigos are most welcome too. :thumbsup:

edit: I am off to drink some beers and await the mysteries of different timezones (…---…)

Last edited:
Why is the favourite government of the Chinese and Mongols Communism?

It will be a while yet before it's ready for testing. I'm being meticulous in ensuring it's as polished as possible. In 'smooshing' (is that a word?) my scenario into the Lost Worlds map I had to overhaul a lot of the unit lines and some other things like techs & resources. It reminded me that I do love designing a scenario but I dislike the tedious Build phase.
That sounds so familiar a feeling. For my Wesnoth campaign I have designed the maps, over a dozen major characters, the general plot, quite a bit of dialogue, the plot of each individual chapter/map, etc. All i have to do is the maps and the coding, which actually takes less effort in terms of inventiveness but a lot more in terms of just forcing myself to stay in front of the editor.
KingArthur said:
edit: I believe the word I was looking for was 'smushing'.
From The Essential Scots Dictionary, by Edinburgh University Press, Scots-English section:
smush: v break into very small pieces, crush, smash

(yes, I have that book on paper, in coorse)

Last edited:
Why is the favourite government of the Chinese and Mongols Communism?

I wouldn't read too much into the names as names will change.

I want each government type to have 1 unique strength (and generally weak in all other areas) e.g. - one geared for war, one for commerce, one for culture, one for production. It will require a bit of playtesting to balance and depends how the AI can handle it..

So far I have these types but they are simply placeholders until I come up with some suitably odd names: Autocracy (no focus); Communism (production focus); Democracy (commerce focus); Fascism (war focus). The missing one is culture which is going to be called something like 'Bohemian Utopia' or 'Avant-Garde Republic' - actually just going to stick one of those names into the tech tree - comes in Era 1 with Mass Entertainment.

edit: plumped for these - Autocracy; Corporate Republic; Bohemian Republic, Workers Republic, Technocratic Republic; New World Order

Last edited:
That sounds so familiar a feeling. For my Wesnoth campaign I have designed the maps, over a dozen mahro characters, the general plot, quite a bit of dialogue, the plot of each individual chapter/map, etc. All i have to do is the maps and the coding, which actually takes less effort in terms of inventiveness but a lot more in terms of just forcing myself to stay in front of the editor.
I have BfW on Steam. I love it! I will have to be careful not to get too distracted.

From The Essential Scots Dictionary, by Edinburgh University Press, Scots-English section:
smush: v break into very small pieces, crush, smash

(yes, I have that book on paper, in coorse)
och aye!

No spoilers for now (or is it ‘nae spoilers fer noo’?) but I recommend Senke nad Balkanom, a recent Serbian TV series, for 1920s Central European esoterism. As well as murder fiction.
That said, it's multiquote time!
I wouldn't read too much into the names as names will change.

I want each government type to have 1 unique strength (and generally weak in all other areas) e.g. - one geared for war, one for commerce, one for culture, one for production. It will require a bit of playtesting to balance and depends how the AI can handle it..

So far I have these types but they are simply placeholders until I come up with some suitably odd names: Autocracy (no focus); Communism (production focus); Democracy (commerce focus); Fascism (war focus). The missing one is culture which is going to be called something like 'Bohemian Utopia' or 'Avant-Garde Republic' - actually just going to stick one of those names into the tech tree - comes in Era 1 with Mass Entertainment.

edit: plumped for these - Autocracy; Corporate Republic; Bohemian Republic, Workers Republic, Technocratic Republic; New World Order
There's no theocracy there, unless the new world order applies.
I have BfW on Steam. I love it! I will have to be careful not to get too distracted.
I'll have to remember to drop you a line when the campaign's been uploaded, which might be next month or next decade.

No spoilers for now (or is it ‘nae spoilers fer noo’?) but I recommend Senke nad Balkanom, a recent Serbian TV series, for 1920s Central European esoterism. As well as murder fiction.
That said, it's multiquote time!

There's no theocracy there, unless the new world order applies.

I'll have to remember to drop you a line when the campaign's been uploaded, which might be next month or next decade.

I had to look that up. It translates to Shadows over Balkans but the English title they've given it is Black Sun. Looks interesting and if I get the time I will watch it.

No theocracy - it's difficult to fit in govs in a unique way as civ 3 doesn't give you much scope for differentiation except through unique buildings and wonders but even if you do that you've to be careful not to double up on effects already used. To be honest I don't think I have room for Technocracy. Here's what I have after working through the settings

Do drop me a line when you've finished your Wesnoth campaign - I still hope to be around in a decade.;)

I had to look that up. It translates to Shadows over Balkans but the English title they've given it is Black Sun. Looks interesting and if I get the time I will watch it.
I definitely recommend it. I've only watched Season 1 due to the vagaries of syndication.
KingArthur said:
No theocracy - it's difficult to fit in govs in a unique way as civ 3 doesn't give you much scope for differentiation except through unique buildings and wonders but even if you do that you've to be careful not to double up on effects already used. To be honest I don't think I have room for Technocracy. Here's what I have after working through the settings

Yes, I know, Civ3 doesn't have separate mechanics for religion and government.

So ‘autocracy’ is really a renamed despotism. I like that it still gets an advantage over the Bohemians in terms of worker rate, war weariness and the draft limit, that way it's not a dead end as the epic game's despotism which I change from at the earliest opportunity.

Ministries of happiness, production, trade, love… no ministry of truth, then?
KingArthur said:
Do drop me a line when you've finished your Wesnoth campaign - I still hope to be around in a decade.;)
Hopefully I'll have a working mod before the next time Hearts do their yo-yo thing again.

Top Bottom