Steph's Expanded Editor questions

What's up, MadGad. I am still using Steph's editor on Windows 10. I run it as Administrator, and under properties run it in compatibility mode for windows 7. I haven't checked Quintillus' editor in a while so I'm not sure if he added features like altering item order and CTRL-select copying and pasting. I'd be incapable of modding without Steph's editor.
Nah, there is a bunch of index stuff, exceptions and System.ArgumentOutOfRangeException kind of errors. Will see what else could help.
Maybe there are some system reqs like NET Framework ONLY 3.5 without anything higher or Visual Studio C# 2005 wothout updates or something?

Last edited:
I am no necromancer, but is there any way to launch Steph's Editor on Win 7 or 10? Looks like all those Framework updates totally broke the program.
Or maybe virtual machine XP would work?
I am only able to run it on Windows 8.1 when using the July, 2011 version at http://stephane.f.david.free.fr/CivMod/Tools/ExpandedEditor/Steph_CivIII_ExpandedEditor.zip (you'll have to copy-paste that link into a new tab if using a Chrome-based browser, since it is HTTP only). With that version, I can open uncompressed BIQ files. But they must be uncompressed, either with Firaxis's editor or my editor, to open them with Steph's editor.

This is running with an administrator account, but not using the "Run as administrator" option.

If that still isn't working, I would recommend installing .NET Framework 3.5. There are three "tiers" of the .NET Framework:

1.0 through 1.1
2.0 through 3.5
4.0 through 4.8.2

A program designed for any version within that tier requires you to have installed a .NET version matching that tier, and not lower than its version. For example, if a program is designed for .NET Framework 3.0, you have to have .NET 3.0 or 3.5 installed; having 4.0 but not 3.0 or 3.5 installed would result in it not working.

Steph said that his editor is written in C# 2005, which means .NET 2.0, although the July 2011 version might be for 4.0.

But in short, to be able to run any .NET Framework program, you have to install 1.1, 3.5, and 4.8.2. Then they should all work, unless there are other incompatibilities for other reasons.

If this does get it running for you, please report back!

-----

I can also run any version of Steph's editor without issue on XP, although again manual decompression of files is required. So depending on your availability of Windows XP, that might be an easier solution.

Anyone get Steph's editor to work on Windows 11? I'm getting this error:

StephEditorError.jpg

-My biq is fine, I can load it in the Conquest editor and play the mod without errors.

Awesome news, people!
Looks like there is a way to launch Steph's editor without error on Win7\8\10\11\whatever.
1) Install all the stuff needed.
2) Put your downloaded archive with latest editor version in game's dir (or wherever you want).
3) Open archive and launch editor FROM ARCHIVE, not extract and launch from dir.
Somehow it launches with other settings, even starting Steph tools menu looks different. Whatever I tested on my own old map is working well, mostly without error.
The one and only one error I meet is when you has your ANIMNAME_PRTO_Unitname stuff in the end (bottom, the latest ones rows) of PediaIcons.txt file and then create a unit with that PRTO_Unitname in editor then it will spawn errors. But unit will work fine and editable in original civ3 editor and work in-game.

Attachments

• error.JPG
    error.JPG
    56.5 KB · Views: 12
  • no error.JPG
    no error.JPG
    138.1 KB · Views: 12
Last edited:
Top Bottom