stEspNES - Insert Catchy Title (Preview)

Espírito

Civ Addict
Edit: Full rules are now here

Hey All.

As soon as I saw this forum I wanted to mod an NES, but reading the sticky's at the top I saw one saying you should play in a couple first, so I set out and joined aaminion00's Tribes NES. Now this was different to the others around as it wasnt set on this world (as many of the seemingly more popular ones have been in my limited view of browsing the forums), however this soon died unfortunately and having put effort in I felt cheated, but I have been browsing the forums looking for a similar NES and havent found one. I have just signed up to Warman's Galactic NES as this looks interesting but having turned over ideas for my own NES in my mind I wanted to see whether anyone would be interested since I have little experience other than actually reading the threads of many NES's.

Basically, my NES would be set upon a completely different world - map and everything ready - at the Dawn of Civilization. I have a set of preliminary rules drawn up here but I will briefly jot my ideas here.
Economy would be word levels as elsewhere but to increase it it is necessary to do something such as reduce taxes, build roads for merchants or invent/reinvent currency. Each would have different knoc on and unpredictable effects. That is to say they would be realistic but the player doesnt know what they are beforehand.
Technological advancement is similar in that you set your scientists to discover about something but they may chance upon somethign related or may get nowhere at all, tehcnology isn't limited to the 'real world' either and alternative methods are acceptable and encouraged.
Religion plays a major role, these must be invented and run by a player who can also be a Head of State e.g. Pope in Vatican, Queen of England is Head of Church of England. The religions have effects upon the people and breach territorial boundaries, you can spread religion, persecute people or make religious wars (for this reason they must be made up not real world :) ). Players may also join mid-game starting a religion in attempt to convert or even conquer...
This isnt a game NES where you have 3gc per territory for example but your military size is limited by economy, government and happiness of people. Happiness and Confidence is an over-riding factor in whether you survive as head of state and if you dont watch out, there may be a rebellion, which can be lead by a new player or paid for by an opponent.
Military will be number based, and each civilization has access to basic units and UUs - which you invent, and I will give the stats so as to keep the balance if you invent the ideas and you can have as many different types as you want - up to 10% of your army.
Basically very similar to other rules, but based on a different rules, and ANYTHING WHICH IS SENSIBLE CAN BE DONE, this means the rules aren't strict, if you want to invent a government say ruled by the Farmers you can do, as long as it is within the context of the game, the update will reflect this, probably by mass-riots because how are farmers gong to take over a government eh?

Differences to other NES's (that Ive seen): Religion is prominent. Players invent the governments, UUs, technology (to an extent). You can team up, three players can take control of a tribe, either share responsibility or have a General, Domestic and Foreign Ministers - you decide, this allows greater depth analysis of decisions.

Happiness and Confidence (in religion and state) is based on your decisions, you cnat sudenly decide to increase happiness :)

Oh, and stories - very nice, not necessary evey time but it would be nice to have a paragraph or two describing you orders, maybe even write your orders as a story and bullet point them underneath briefly. My updates will include stories when there is time or opportunity.

One last thing, Im not sure whether or not to include this so thought I'd submit it for discussion if there is any interest in this. Magic. Not to be excessively powerful, but to be able to be useful - in battle and domestically. This would allow divergent technology - using magic to aid it, and no other NES Ive seen currently has magic so it would be easily manipulated :)
The use of magic in battle is to counter the enemy's magic, if both sides do their jobs, the soldiers should be left alone to fight conventionally
This is how I envision the magic being used in battle, but domestically it could be used to prevent famines, induce famine, speed plant growth etc. It would have to be limited but I feel I could balance magic with conventional aspects, and when magic reaches its peak, rifts could be formed to other workds - unstable and hard to direct of course :) which would allow them to be settled before space travel.

I hope some people are interested, I have posted my quickly drawn up rules (e.g. an hour) here (yes just in case you missed it before) but I feel these need to be written clearer which is what Im going to set out to do if I get responses. Please keep in mind that magic is only an idea and I think I can mod with or without it, with being the more interesting in my opinion.

i feel I'm babbling so I'll stop now, lets cross my fingers and hope you like the ideas or can post help how to improve!

I say leave out the magic element, and I'm in.:)

OK, some interest anyway, I've put the maps of the world up here. The layout i.e. temperature/terrain/elevation is based upon those by aaminion in the aforementioned NES but the design of the world is completely mine I simply felt that this was a simple and clear way of showing the world. I shall codify the rules so they're more easily understandable and hope theres some more people interested, I would like at least 5 to begin with, keep updates shorter ;-) Nah, the more the merrier.

So you'll leave out the magic element? Oh, and perhaps you need to make some sort of resource map. And can we choose starting locations? I've the perfect spot picked.:D

i wouldn´t join since i dont have the time, but if i had, i wouldn´t join bc you have too less experience :(. sorry but i think one nes aint enough.

Same as Amenhotep7. No magic and I'm in, mostly because that I've often read Strutagtsky brothers (many of whose novels are set in different human-populated worlds, sometimes with different technology and culture).

Good map, btw.

One more question. Could we, for example, invent gunpowder in the Bronze (or Classical) Age? I've read somewhere it was perfectly possible, all that was required is an inventor who had such an idea and a bit of luck.

Currently bored, will annoy the mod (?) now with corrections.

Differences to other NES's (that Ive seen): Religion is prominent. Players invent the governments, UUs, technology (to an extent). You can team up, three players can take control of a tribe, either share responsibility or have a General, Domestic and Foreign Ministers - you decide, this allows greater depth analysis of decisions

Religion IS prominent in most NESes. Players can invent governments and UUs in most cases, though I agree that technology is often limited to real world (then again, in aaminion's NES I invented the telegraph in the Classical Age).

BTW, if the majority of players vote for magic to remain (or if you really want to keep it), I guess I could live with that just as well.

Well you dont seem to want magic so I chucked it, less work for me :)

Yes you can choose starts, if two of you have chosen the same start already then whoever posted to join first gets it, after that its whoever posts the start first. I'll start the NES thread in a couple of days, I;ve got about half the rules made understandable.

@das, feel free to annoy me (?) with these things, but i think religion will hopefully if I get my way :) be more prominent, thats just my perspective though, but I agree about the governments and UUs, I was in a bit of a rush typing that post.

Yes you can invent gunpowder in the bronze age, but why I dont know - the bronze couldnt be used for guns so the weapons would work very badly and probably cause as much damage to you as they did to the enemy.

there is a resource map but as you havent explored anywhere yet you dont know about the resources, I'll tell you when you see them either when you explore an area or settle it.

@tossi, sorry you feel that way, maybe if this goes succesfully you may play another, if this is successful ;-)

Edit: 150th post, got some catching up with you lot to do :)

The rules so far I'm posting here for convenience, I will post them in the new thread when they are finished, if you have any observations - things Ive missed out, things needing clarifying changing, please say so.

Actually I remember reading a discussion where it was stated that actually, bronze could be (and was) used for cannons, and probably it was possible to use it for firearms as well.

I see now that religion is more advanced then I thought. By the way, can one player run a religion and a state in the same time? I understand it is possible.

Starting position for Teludria is in the northeastern plains of the northern continent.

BTW, in Empire Earth, an Imperial Age artillery unit is the "Bronze Cannon".

Anyway, how many players do you want?

My starting location. (stats come later.):smug:

Attachments

• untitled77.GIF
    untitled77.GIF
    11.8 KB · Views: 121
OK, well if someone decides to go for bronze age cannons Ill go and have a look at if its possible, but I think you'd need quite a bit of luck to find the right mixture for gunpowder and design oof cannons.

I'd like at least 5 people, 3 have said yes up to now, we can start with 3 but the world would be quite empty so need more NPCs than I was going to include.

Make no limit in NPCs as long as it does not make it hard for you to mod the NES.

I suggest that you add a link to this page in your sig. It will get more attention.

I was alittle exaggerating about the Bronze Age gunpowder, perhaps, but in Classical Age it would be rather possible as by then, all the important ingridients for gunpowder were known, though not widely used. Perhaps if a nation specializes in chemistry, it could have come up with gunpowder. Maybe if New Kingdom Egypt survived long enough, it would've happened in the real world?

Nevertheless, it is a possibility.

I will fill the world with NPCs and little tribes, when/if other players come these can be displaced/taken over.

I'll link to my sig, I was going to wait until I got the actual thread instead of the preview.

Das, I think you want Teludria about here on the map, if this is wrong I can change it or you can pst a pic, or wait until I open the real thread.

Attachments

• dasstart.bmp
    275.1 KB · Views: 114
Noo! Not so close to me!:(

Ah, well. I suppose I'll be das' ally.

So wat's the stat template? What do I put?

It's not that close Amenhotep although with only three players I suppose it would seem that way :)

This is the starting Template:

Tribe:
Ruler (Player):
Government:
Religion: default is Animism
Economy: Stable
Armed Forces: 50 warriors (stone weapons)
Starting Location:
Background:

If you look here there are some model government types, ignore the rules there, that was my draft copy. If you want to invent your government please do, you can sugest some stats that make it unique and I will accept them or modify them :)

The Religion is Animism at the moment, if you wish to try to convert your people, it isn't too hard at the beginning so now is a good time to do it, I'l post the religion template here later if you want it before the NES thread opens.

Edit: Finished the Rules - 3500+ words, you probably only need 200 of them but at least they're there for anyone if they gte stuck :) I cant upload them today because I cant access my webby until tomorrow, I will start the NES on Saturday at the latest unless you all beg for it sooner ;-) because I'd like more players.

Ah, well. I suppose I'll be das' ally.

Like in minion's current/last NES? Don't get your hopes up, because Taludrians are quite warmongering.

Yeah, that's the right place I think (btw, that was a typo - the nation I came up with is actually Taludria).

Tribe: Taludria
Ruler (Player): Chieftain Taludi Enep Kami
Government: Tribal Monarchy (with druid influence)
Religion: Druidic Polytheism
Economy: Stable
Armed Forces: 50 warriors (stone weapons)
Starting Location: Taludrian Plains
Background: The first Taludrians came to the wide and open Taludrian Plains from the Draip Tundra in the far north. It seems that they migrated after the Ice Age returned to that area - the legends say however, that the ferocious great wolves of the North chased the Taludrians out of those lands. And so it was that in 4973 AC (After the Creation), the city of Taludip Tark was built, indicating that the Taludrians ceased their nomadism and settled down.

BTW, can you please create two civilized nations of the same ethnicity that are often at war with each other not too far to the south from me for future story reasons?

OK, for the religion you will need to fill n this template, so I can set responses from the people to your actions in the future.

Name:
Head: e.g. Figurehead / Hierocracy / Prophet
Attitude to War: war is encouraged/ good / bad / utterly immoral
Belief about God(s): Animistic / Pantheistic / Monotheistic etc.
Belief about Afterlife: Heaven only / Heaven and Hell / Hell only.
Heretics: Which religions are considered extremely heretical?
Control over people: Intense / Strong / Normal / Weak / Negligible
Religious Center:
Culture: None / Negligible / Weak / Normal / Strong / Very Strong / Intensive

If you're not quite sure as to the effect of one of these then wait till the rules are posted tomorrow because I think this is the most newish bit.

Top Bottom