Still no late game uses for iron and horses

Or you could spraypaint them and have them rock the entertainment industry with the magic of friendship.

I don't quite follow: How are there fewer possibilities to trade? I'd argue that it increases possibilities in that you could trade a lump-sum or a per-turn amount.

Also, if anything, this system would enhance the "calculating items per turn" because you need to decide how many you need for your unit composition goals; as it is now its quite a simplistic binary system: do I have iron? y/n.

With Civ 5 system you trade away a strategic resource if you don't need it right now and will not need in the next 30 turns. This works and requires some planning.

With cumulative resources in reality you don't do any planning - you just can't. If you have some excess iron right now and lack of horses right now, you could exchange them to build the units needed.

Since now a days horses main use is recreational, turning them into a luxury resource later in the game would be fitting. The problem, though, is figuring out when to do so.

Talcove: The likely answer is when there are no longer Mounted units in the game. That is, when Tanks or Anti-Tank Guns show up.

Since now a days horses main use is recreational, turning them into a luxury resource later in the game would be fitting. The problem, though, is figuring out when to do so.

It doesn't need to be complicated. Just have Stables have +1 local happiness upon researching Combustion.

That's not related to the strategic resource of horses, though, but makes sense. I would suggest something like "1 local happiness per 10 horses", but that would potentially result in silly amounts of happiness...

New building:
Glue factory: costs 1 horse, +10% hammers, 1 engineer slot unlocks with industrialization

***just a disclaimer, not a real building***

seriously I think

Steel Mill (or something similar)- costs 1 iron, +10% hammers, 2 engineer slots unlocks at whatever....... sorry no creative juices flowin' now.

That's not related to the strategic resource of horses, though, but makes sense. I would suggest something like "1 local happiness per 10 horses", but that would potentially result in silly amounts of happiness...

Yes, that's why Tourism is better - if you throw more into it, your opponents will do the same.

and I would've liked a couple of buildings to consume them so that they remain useful in the late game

Perhaps they'll be consumed when you build the new Zoo building (iron for bars, horses for display/food)! :mischief:

This is why I would like Firaxis to put just one more XPac/DLC to add corporations. They could definitely use all the "outdated" resources and then some!

This is why I would like Firaxis to put just one more XPac/DLC to add corporations. They could definitely use all the "outdated" resources and then some!
Amen. In fact, the whole Bonus Resource system needs to be beefed up as well.

have cirus cost 1 horse. +2 happy+2 With Ivory nearby.
have forge cost 1 iron. +2 Production+1 production per worked iron tile,+25% production towards military units.

It would buff russia quite a bit. it is an easy way to make horses and iron useful for the entire game.

Although, with the important exception of Japan above, it's hard to think of an example of a major power running critically short of iron to the point that they resort to war - it's also hard enough to think of a conflict driven primarily by the need to obtain iron ore reserves at any date ancient or modern.

But steel production remained the basic index of industrial performance through the nineteenth and early 20th century and the scarcity of steel was perhaps the major bottleneck during post-war reconstruction in Europe - it's no coincidence that the Common Market started as a coal and steel pact.

Adding an industrial-era building that consumes iron and boosts production is a must. Factories should require iron as well as coal, as should modern cargo ships and trucks now we at last have them.

I think that once you have a resource you should "have it". No more counting how many Irons you have etc.

Even though I prefer Civ V's model to Civ IV, you gave me an interesting idea:

1) Upon entering industrial age and going forward, you still require iron to build units that are made from iron or steel. However, at this point you don't need 1 iron per 1 unit. You simply need to have iron connected to your civ.

So iron is still a strategic resource in the future, but production is not limited by small amounts. Kind of a compromise.

I see nothing wrong with them no longer being strategic. As others have pointed out, in the real modern world, they are no longer strategic. Things do go obsolete. This allows civs that maybe once were resource rich to get passed by, which is not a bad thing. Adapt adapt adapt.

I wonder, is the main issue here is that you do not use the resources? I.e you have 34 irons in your deposit that you are not using?

If you consider WW2 to be in the modern era, horses were still historically important in that war, since most of the Western Axis combatants (especially Germany) used them extensively as logistical transport haulers. They just weren't used as cavalry combat units so much any longer - the numbers hauling wagons exceeded those carrying soldiers in battle. This was also true in WW1. So it is only in the future era that horses become more of a luxury resource. As for iron, since it is a necessary component for the making of steel, it is valuable into the future era as a base resource. I think it will probably take a modder to show best how the modern evolution of these assets has progressed in game terms, however, since Firaxis is never going to do so.

Top Bottom