StNNES III: Ruins of Empires

To Han
From Shang
We would like to know the knowledge of this "silk" as you call it. And while we're at it, would you agree to a NAP?

To Wei
From Shang
a NAP between our fine countries?

To: Shang

Silk is a trading secret, we would not give it away, however, we would love to trade with you for your fine bronzework.

We also agree to the NAP.

To: Shang

We agree.

Jason The King said:
damn...already updated...

Yeah, I'm trying for an update every day in the early stages to get this well of the ground. Don't worry too much, you did expand, and economy was grown.

*Translations*
Gong Zu means Princess
Man Sui, Man Sui, Man Man Sui! (May the Emperor Live for 1 billion years)
Zhum: This is what the Emperor Calls himself not me.

Shang Story

"Students, gather around, there's been a change in the schedule, as learing about Emperor Hao Ming and Yan Gun would be skipping 3 Emperors, I have decided to postpone that lesson, we will instead learn about Emperor Xing Jing and his horses."

*hears whining*

"And so it begins on a cloudy day 1900 BC, the 6th year of the Reign of Emperor Xing Jing...."

City of Qingdao, in a pasture in the wilds...

"Ah, my nephew, how are the Emperor's horses?"

"They're feeding on the grass Lord Uncle, should i soon gather them in in case of a storm?"

"How will you know how many was let out to feed? What if one or two gets lost? Where did you get the courage to bring the Emperor's prized horses in an unguarded pasture? If one of his horses is lost, it will be our heads prized nephew."

"But Uncle, i have a system to make sure no horses are lost, and another one to make sure none of them gets replaced. Look here, there are 16 lines in the ground, each one of them represents a horse. The top roll, with the line and the 2 curves which means OLD, and there are 5 lines there, telling me that there are 5 old horses. The same goes for the middle and bottom, which represents middle age, and child. It's quite a nice system and very effecitive."

"Eh, you have developed a system to record information? Last I heard the Emperor ordered his learned men to find a way to transfer his orders much more quickly, with a few more symbols and implement them in the daily life of the peasants and farmers, the Emperor's wish would be well returned. I sense a HUGE gift from the Emperor....Ah..i was right to have asked for you to be sent to the city instead of your older brother, this will of course be brought to the Emperor."

City of Qingdao, in the Palace of Emperor Xing Jing in the Assembly Room....

"Man Sui, Man Sui, Man Man Sui!"

"Officials, or more specifically Lord Hui Nong and his nephew Sun Pu, wat have you so important that you have awoken Zhum"

"My Lord, i believe that you ordered that a way to better record our glorious Dynasty and bring your Grand Edicts to all parts of the Empire more quickly has been solved, my nephew, has already developed a system for recording your prize horses, and with a little innovation, this would allow ur wish to be of course fullfilled."

"I will have my officials work with your nephew, if he succeeds, he shall have a palace, a position in my court, and have the hand of Gong Zu Liang Xi. Be off now."

Back in Classroom...
"Students, i want a 2 page report on Emperor Xing Jing and his accomplishments, and tomorrow's class will be about Emperor Chao Tung. Class dismissed."

Shang Orders
Increase economy by making more bronzeworks and selling them to small time merchants so they sell it in the other countries.
Expand South with half of my army and try to reach Chu, have the other defend.
Begin developing a writing system(it should take at least another 700 years to completely finish, as the Chinese writing system began in 1200 BC)

Oops, I forgot to send orders. I will not be here today so if you update, just grow eco and expand.

Sorry, can't get inspiration for a story yet.

Orders:
- Ruler/Player: The Kagan/das
- Continue wonder (2/4).
- Continue encouraging fishing in Volga.
- 50 Khazar Nomads are to go east and try to find out more about Scythians - their numbers, training, culture, plans, movement, etc...
- Raise more archers.
- 200 Spearmen are to prepare defense of Itil. Build a palisade surrounding it.
- 100 spearmen, 50 archers are to expand farther north down the Volga.
- 200 spearmen, 50 archers, 50 Khazar nomads are to expand south, towards Caucasus. Before coming to Volga, we were there, so the people we could encounter there are probably either our distant relatives, either our foes. Be prepared for both scenarios.

Nation: Egypt
Ruler/Player: Ptolemid Dynasty/Cuivienen
Government: Theocratic Monarchy
Category: Religious Theorocracy
Economy: Stable, Uncontrolled
Army: 500 Spearmen, 200 archers
Navy: 5 Galleys
Great Leaders: N/A
Religion: Cult of Isis (Polytheistic)
Culture: Okay
Great Achievements: N/A
Education: Nonexistant
UU: N/A
Wonders: Nile Irrigation Project (+3 Economy, Better farming) 1/6

Orders

Send 200 Archers backed by 300 Spearmen into Nubian territory and drive the Nubians further up the Nile River.
Send another 100 Spearmen to claim territory in Sinai, expanding towards Petra.
Garrison 50 Spearmen in Cyrene and 50 Spearmen in Alexandria.
Build the city of Giza just south of the Nile River Delta along the western coast of the river.
Continue our irrigation project along the shores of the Nile.

Story

Cyrene, second blessed of all cities of the world, heart of Egyptian Cyrenaica, port of call for ships around the Mediterranean. Cyrene, city of lovely maidens and handsome men, city of welath, where gold flows as water. Cyrene, city of the faith of Isis the Mother. Cyrene, great city of western Egypt. It was in Cyrene that trade first began with nations to the west, Cyrene which first produced coveted dyes. And it is to Cyrene that Egypt owes much of her modern wealth. And so, upon Cyrene, the Pharoah bestows his everlasting blessing this year.

But, even as the pharoah blesses Cyrene, all is not well in Egypt. Hostile Nubian forces parade brazenly along Egypt's southern border, and tensions rise as the Egyptian army apporoaches. Soon there will be battle, and blood spilled in the Life-River, blood returned. But so it must be, for Egypt's future security. No blistering sands block the hostile Nubians, though the sands have defeated all other foes of Egypt. So it must be.

a short treatise on the Tartessian religion
By Hortious Chalkoles of Tingiaticos

Chapter 4, the Importance and divine symbology of the Bull in Tartessian religion

The Bull since ancient times has been a mighty symbol of stretgh, virility, courage, and honour to the Tartessian people, a symbol of pride and stretgh, dipicted as it is so often in art, associated stronglly with Tartessos, it is perhaps a symbol of our nation.

But underlying the simple patriotism the Bull inspires to tartessians, is the divine significance of animal...

The Bull is a symbol often assocaited with two of the more prolific Gods of Tartessos, Cronos, and Oceanus, and as such, the Bulls are honoured; and while cattle theselves are not considered holy, and both milk, meat, leathers and other goods are gotten from them, people are always careful to look for the "Tria-Torus"...

The Tri-Tours is, simply, put, a bull marked by the gods; only one usually exists at a time, and is designated by specific markings on its back, and head, though therwise is a completly white bull; and while several different patterns are recognized, it is the symbol of a Trident that is most prolificlly regnized as begin what marks the animal from its brethren.

The Bull is then of course taken into the temple of the appropreate god, and, pampered and cared for, even having a harem of cows so that even in that respect, it can live a life of grandure; this is to lead up to cerimonal processions on festvial days, and eventually, the offering fo the bull after twenty years of such living to the gods, first and foremost, either Cronos, or Oceanos, the search then begins for the nex Bull-calf that hasp the approreaite markings...

In this manner, the offering is a grand festival, with militar ypardades, briaght vibrant colours, music, foods and wine flow freelly, it is a day fo rest for the laberours, and generally a day of finery; even slaves need not toil in the feilds, and for what ever work they do, it is voluntary, and they are paid the wage of skilled workers for it.

The Bull as a symbol, of botht he nation, and the naitosn religion, is deeplly ingranied into the Tartessian conscience, an illicits a feeling of pride and courage amoung all the classes that few other icons can muster forth, for any nation, let alone the deep patriots of Tartossos! It is in that light, that people and councils and Royal familly all agreed that teh gods, and the Bull symbols of them, should be done a great honur, with a spleden sactuary and citadel, to house speacity complimets of the Tartessian elites, even more well drilled and equipped then the formidable, and mighty Marines of the nation are...

Nice update North King, but one thing: Mecca is north of Medina, not south.

Orders:

- Increase Spearmen
- Send 250 Spearmen and 100 Archers to attack the Saba Arabs

Not as near as I can tell. Mecca by the atlas in my hand is south of Medina. :)

And how nice, I've hit 1000.

Update is almost certainly tonight, as I have a majority of orders already. Those who haven't gotten them in, send them, please. That would be Xen, Jason, Revolutionary, and Insane Panda.

A look into the Carthaginian Navy
By Admiral Epirus Hanno, Royal Navy Historian

The Carthaginian Navy, as it is today, was largely crafted during a series of campaigns against maruading pirates harassing Carthaginian trade. These Pirates, at first, only inflicted insignificant damage, but as time went by, their raiding increased more and more, until 1 out of every 5 merchant ships was captured by a pirate during that era. This led to the rise of the Carthaginian Navy, using experienced Merchant sailors as its core, it sought out to destroy the pirates and open up carthaginian trade again, as now traders were reluctant to go anywhere near the north african shore. Admiral Gisco, my father, was proclaimed leader of this fleet, and began to devise a series of naval campaigns to destroy these pirates.

The first campaigns were...horrible, to say the least, as these pirates were much more experienced in naval warfare and destroyed ship after ship of the Carthaginian Navy. Something needed to be done, so my father, decided that the old Galley was of no use against these fast maruaders, so he, with the help of our best engineers, devised a new ship design. The Quinquereme was thus born. A beauty really, a long, tall ship, with a small sail at the bow and a large sail at the mainmast, she wasn't as fast as a galley, but she made up for it in strength and power. Armed with Archers, marines, and 4 small Ballistas, she could defend herself against any contemporary ship of today, and her deck was too high to be boarded by enemy vessels.

The first battle the pirates met this ship, they tried to ram it several times, but they failed horribly, archers kept up continual fire and wrecked havoc on the pirate crews, and the ships went adrift as their crews were essentially destroyed, and their oarsmen were in panic, so as the galley hit the quinquereme, it merely wrecked several oars, and did not puncture the hull. The Quinqueremes proceeded to destroy every pirate ship, as they rammed into their feeble hulls and caused havoc among the fleet.

The Carthaginian Navy is considered the most important aspect of the military, and it is every boy's dream to become a sailor. The Navy requires much education, enrolling in to a Naval academy is essential, and a strict regiment of physical education and studies is kept up. Cadets are given a position determined on their skill at exams and drills, and can be assigned anywhere from a ship's custodian, to a Captain, admiralship comes with success in battle.

CONTIVARI

Orders:

A New Grand project is announced: Carthaginian Ascendenscy: (More like guidlines for me to follow in the following turns)

Mediterranean Dominance:
- Expand the fleet initially with 20 Galleys and 10 Quinqueremes
- Explore the lands of The Baeleric Isles, Corsica, sicilia, and Sardina

Economic Expansion:
- Attempt to Establish official trade routes throughout the mediterranean
- Expand farmland around Carthage

Military Expansion:
- 500 Spearmen to be recruited
-1000 Archers to be recruited

Actual Orders for this Turn:

- Send a contingent of 5 Galleys to The Isle of Sicilia and attempt to establish a settlement there.
- Send a single galley to explore the Isles of Corsica and Sardinia

Correspondence:

To Libya:

Hail great nieghbors! We would wish to establish an official trade route with your nation to allow for greater prosperity between our two nations. Would you agree?

To the Tartessians:

Great nieghbors, would you like to establish a official trade route with our nation? it would improve our prosperity in the Tin trade, and allow us to increase economic income from the trade. Would you agree?

To Libya
From Egypt

Would you agree to a NAP between our nations with the possibility of future trade?

A general Notice to the nations inside of the med sea

A)it should be known, the Tartessos will be regulating travel outside and inside the Piller of hercules; this is especially true for the trade ships, o fwhich it will be strictlly Tartessian ships to pass through the pillers; war ships will be strctlly prohibited, unless permission ha sbeen granted; this is all due to Tartessean security; as, being so closelly located to the pillars themselvs, it is obvious our interest in ensureing good, orderlyl conduct along the rout

B)Tartessos and its neighbor Lusitiania are willign to becoem the protectors of the trade rout, Lusitiania is poised to becoem protector of the atlantic branch, tartessos of the med sea branch; as such, we do wish to make it known our intention to establish tradeing base sinside the med sea, primarilly along the islands, and in italy, Tartessian fortunes are rather tied to the trade rout, and so it is in our, as well as every ones best interest if tartessos can ensure the protection of not only the trade ships, but perhaps also the well being of the nations at the recieving end of the tin; consider this a loose NAP (non agression pact), at least as long as ther isnt to much clashing over proposed tartessian colonies

C)it shoudl also be known, that to pay for the protection of the routs, a FAIR fine will be levied on ships in tartessian ports; how ever, as said before, this will be a fair price, and not at all difficult to cope with for merchant captains.

Top Bottom