StockNES

The Czech Royal Society of Statistical Cartography

King Vaclav has given his assent to the creation of the Czech Royal Society of Statistical Cartography, the CRSSC, which will annually provide public information about the states of Europe and her neighbours. This society, among other duties, determines what style of government and ideology is in power in European states. The CRSSC, using advanced algorithms and surveys, as well as official government reports, have drawn up levels of stability, as well as industrial and economic development. The king has made this information public to the world, in a gesture of understanding and goodwill.

For the year starting 2202:

*note that for the French region, a dark red border is used in place of black to designate internal borders of the civil war, and in no way is meant to represent Czechia's official position on the French conflict*

Governments in Europe
Spoiler :

Government Ideologies in Europe
Spoiler :

Stability Levels in Europe
Spoiler :

Industrial Development in Europe
Spoiler :

Economic Development in Europe
Spoiler :

OOC: Excellent work!

These maps make shadowbound look (more) powerful (than he is?) Indeed.

The wonders of efficient governance and meritocratic leadership. We have led Technocratic Europe to prosperity by example.

This speech was presented by the Kongolese delegation at the First Pan-African Conference, in Kinshasa, to a largely skeptical audience.

My fellow peoples of the mighty African continent, I shall speak today of the necessity of greater trade and commerce within Africa, and of the need to put up a united front against imperialism from abroad. When we outlined the aims of the conference, we listed the following lofty goals:
conference goals said:
1: Establishing greater unity and mutual understanding amongst our peoples
2: Improving trade between various regions of Africa
3: Establishing an African central bank to increase trust between potential lenders and creditors.
4: Sharing the technological achievements of our great peoples
5: Ensuring that our nations will never again fall victim to the lies of imperialists
6: Laying the groundwork for a potential African common currency, and African defensive union

It is our belief that the first five goals follow self-evidently from our history. I implore you all to recall that your nations were once lofty empires, Nubia, Carthage, Zimbabwe, Mali, Ghana, Kongo and innumerable others. All of these glorious nations, which are our grandfathers and grandmothers, rested upon trade between Africans, and upon technology and knowledge that was born of our free continent. Hence, the first four goals follow directly from the great successes of our forefathers. The fifth of these goals also follows from the realities of our history. Ever since the barbarous Romans defiled the great city of Carthage, because of the treachery of the Numidians, European imperialists have tried to destroy us. Since these raiders could never best us in fair combat, they always followed the same underhanded tactics: to set African against African, to divide us, and conquer us. Never again! We must stand together now, so that the imperialists will be forever forced off of our fair shores.

It is our belief that the sixth aim of the conference follows clearly from the first five, outlined above. Unity of trade will be perfected through unity of currency, as the glorious golden state of Great Zimbabwe once illustrated. Unity against the lies of foreigners will only be achieved if we defend each other from foreign invasion, and from traitors within, whom the Europeans will forever try to seduce to their side.

If these six goals can be achieved, Africa will finally take its place at the heart of humanity. Our continent will no longer be enslaved by pirates. We will stand, united and free!

Algeria speaks on these points.

Point 1: "Establishing greater unity and mutual understanding amongst our peoples"
This would be a great thing indeed, but we believe that it would be accomplished right along with the other points. Trade and technology would bring us together as an understanding united continent.

Point 2: "Improving trade between various regions of Africa"

Algeria is willing to decrease taxes on exports to other African nations, making Algerian goods more available to other nations. We hope other nations can see these positive changes and follow suit.

Point 3: "Establishing an African central bank to increase trust between potential lenders and creditors."

We are not particularly interested in this topic, but would like to hear other nations ideas and opinions.

Point 4: "Sharing the technological achievements of our great peoples"
We are interested in helping to fund an African Scientific Association, and if other nations contribute as well, we see it being a great success.

Point 5: "Ensuring that our nations will never again fall victim to the lies of imperialists"
Algerians live very closely with the powerful European nations, and at the moment, they seem rather focused on other matters. Unless a threat comes from elsewhere we see no need for this at this time.

Point 6: "Laying the groundwork for a potential African common currency, and African defensive union"
We Algerians are not willing to found or join a defensive union, and make no comments on a common currency until we hear other nations proposals.

These maps make shadowbound look (more) powerful (than he is?) Indeed.

It should be said that the CRSSC does not analyze the military standings of these states, but yes, industrially and economically they rank quite highly.

The wonders of efficient governance and meritocratic leadership. We have led Technocratic Europe to prosperity by example.

Is Belgium omitted from your definition of Europe?

This would be an announcement of the deadline, but I'm missing several important players - I guess I'll patiently wait for the rest of the day to expire before cutting y'all off.

Is Belgium omitted from your definition of Europe?

They're kinda lucky to exist, really, sitting next to both England and France. We basically promoted their formation as a country just to fill up space.

The First Debate

"And that concludes the first national debate for the 2202 elections!" exclaimed the radio announcer. "As a reminder to all of our viewers the election for Mexico's Parliament are being held a month from now, so you still have some time to decide who to vote for. Now let's bring in our panel to discuss how we think that debate when and to analyze each party's positions. Tonight our panel includes Juan, Isabel, Sebastian." The three guests each introduced themselves and thanked the host, Jed, for having them on.

Jed: "Let's start with the incumbent party, the Liberals. How do we think Prime Minister Uribe did tonight? What do you think of the policies that he was advocating for?"

Isabel: "I thought he did a pretty good job. He was pleasant and confident. As for policy he was pretty convincing on his support for more government investment in infrastructure. We’ve all experienced how transportation needs a lot of work in Mexico. A lot of old roads do need renewal and airport capacity is still small.

Sebastian: “I agree. Just look at how shipping has been doing since the government started seriously investing in our ports. Business surveys have shown large increases in exports and imports as more port capacity has come available. I think the Liberals make a good point that investing in our other forms of infrastructure would also greatly benefit the economy.”

Jed: “All the parties seem to agree that improving infrastructure is a priority, but there was a lot of disagreement on how to go about doing it.”

Juan: “That’s a good point. While the Mexico Prosperity Party, Liberal Party, and the Greens all seemed in broad agreement about the government taking a leading role in infrastructure development, the Christian Union and the Libertarian Party differed in that the private sector should handle most of that. I have to say that I agree with the latter two on this issue; letting the government get involved in these projects is just going to result in inefficiency, corruption, and ultimately shoddy results.”

Isabel: “Oh Juan. I have to disagree with you on that. Anyway, as if more confirmation was needed, tonight proved that the Christian Union still seems to be stuck in the past with its indignant ire against abortion, contraception, and evolution. Their support for these issues will probably get them the really religious vote, but most voters either don’t care about this issues or completely disagree with them.

Juan: “Yes, most people are solely focused on the economy right now.”

Sebastian: “Well, there was also the issue of the Venezuelan War. Prime Minister Uribe defended it by asserting that Venezuela was a military and economic threat. I have to agree with them considering what Venezuela did in Jamaica and Cuba. But whether you think the war was justified or not, I think we can all agree that it was a very successful victory that has only empowered Mexico further.”

Isabel: “For such a successful war it’s interesting that the Greens are really running hard against it. It seems to be working for them however, as some of the Liberal Party base was very much against the war and have now switched allegiance to the Greens in recent polling. It’s actually been helping the Greens come out of the Liberals’ shadow. In the past many voters didn’t think the two parties were all that different.”

Jed: “We’ll be back after these messages from our sponsors.”

So now that the day is over, I can see a very good turnout; nonetheless the following players have failed to send orders and will be dropped unless they are sent before midday tomorrow:

Azale
TheLizardKing
<nuke>
Tycho
Arrow Gamer

Unrelated to the above, Lord of Elves has been dropped from La Plata.

Expect an update out within a week, with the present deadline of the 15th.

From the personal journal of Lt. Maria di Legnano, B.A.

March 14, 2202

F.O.B. Aix, Sovereign Republic of Savoy, Union of Lombardy

Marching orders received today; Col. Arrezzo said we&#8217;d be moving out around 0400 hours tomorrow. My platoon&#8217;s ready &#8211; at least I hope they are; the enlisted troops in Sgt. Giaccino&#8217;s squad got into a brawl earlier this evening, but I&#8217;m fairly sure that this is just pre-operation nerves. My psychology studies finally came in handy &#8211; after talking to the two PFCs who started the fight it was fairly easy to remedy their disagreement.

Warrant Officer Sarno complimented me on my handling of the situation. Seeing his sad smile, his smile that knows that the chain of command will disallow anything from occurring between us for at least the duration of the war, causes me some remorse, but for now the mission takes priority.

A letter from Father came today. He told me to give the French hell; no surprise given the fact that he was involved in the Disaster of 2172. I don&#8217;t think he&#8217;s accepted yet that we&#8217;re working with the French this time, at least some French, but I sent him a note in reply telling him that I wouldn&#8217;t pull any punches, and that my next letter would be a postcard from Paris.

I went out one last time tonight to check on the artillery pieces. They&#8217;re flawless, of course; if I&#8217;ve imparted anything onto my platoon, it&#8217;s that the better maintained our equipment is the better our chances of survival are.

Part of me can&#8217;t wait for our orchestra of cannonade to burst into its first movement; something about this lethal symphony paradoxically gives me a sense of peace.

And once we find true peace and the guns go silent again, I at least have the Warrant Officer to look forwards too.

In a night as hot and humid as the day which preceded it, Zé da Costa was laying back on the front plate of the tank he rode. As he looked at the stars deep into the sky, a swarm of mosquitoes buzzing around a working light hung from a nearby vehicle approached. Only in the jungle do mosquitoes swim, he thought. He turned his back to the enemy lines, a few miles ahead, and sat on the ground behind the tank. In spite of what he just thought, da Costa looked around to find nothing really like a jungle. The constant offensives back and forth through the area during the war had left the ground clear, and artillery fire even cleared huge areas just enough for tanks to feasibly advance over something other than a road.

Not too far away now, in a vast clearing not fifty feet away from him, most of his unit was throwing a little party. Their leave was almost over, and very soon they would be spearheading a new offensive (The Last Offensive, their superiors called it in their supposedly inspiring speeches). They were having some fun, and many soldiers on leave from other units were also there. All in all, Zé could see comrades sleeping in a drunken stupor, couples of all kinds making out, others dancing to the tune of some really old music from some record that had stayed in the family forever and a gorgeous lady walking up to him. She was rather short, not too thin, but she had a perfect shape. Her eyes seemed to dare where eagles wouldn't, so sharp and resolved. Her thin nose perhaps too low, her lips maybe too tight, and her long, black curled hair was possibly the one perfect thing about her until you touched it to discover how rough it was yet how greasy it seemed to be. Only the aggregate of the parts made her one splendid beauty. She carried a bottle of beer. Soon enough, she was sitting uncomfortably close.

– So why don't you join the fun? – She said, with a malicious glitter in her eyes, as she offered him the bottle.

– I've never liked beer. –He kinda smiled.– I can't dance. And, I guess I am a bit homesick. – Hesitant, he tried to look at her, but constantly had to look to the ground or elsewhere. This made her smile.

– Why so nervous, comrade? Let me see those tender eyes again... – A reluctant Zé let her grab his chin as she was leaning towards him. – You should shave the beard though. – She was staring straight into his eyes. It was impossible to look away, but then she closed in even more. Those tight lips loosened and those merciless eyes relaxed as they were closing. Zé could only back away.

– I'm sorry, comrade. I won't. – He was firm but uncomfortable with his words.

– A waste of a good man, I'm sure. – Her voice was soft, between disappointed and playful. – Is there a girl back home? I'd understand... – Unexpectedly, Zé laughed for an instant. It was a second of a loud, frank laugh which caught her aback. Perhaps for the first time in a very long time, she was surprised.

– Not even that, comrade. – The happy face he wore vanished, and he almost hasitated when he followed: – It is not women that I'm into.

– Ah! As I said, a waste of a good man! Or of two good men, I'm sure.

– Oh, the best man you would know. He's wonderful. – Now he seemed just sad, as he was.

– Don't be ashamed, comrade. We are all just the same. That is what we are fighting for, it is in our Charter! “All citizens are equal, regardless of gender or sexual orientation”, it says. You will be back in his arms soon enough. You could still have some fun, as I will. – Then she motioned to leave for the party again, but he held her in her place.

– Can we talk some more?

– Well, sure. What about?

– You choose.

– Hmm... What about tanks? Do you drive this one?

– Hah! Funny thing you asked. – Now Zé was clearly comfortable, in his element. – I'm actually the commander. But yes! I used to drive it. The commander was injured and my comrades chose me to replace him.

– Wow, and do you feel ready?

– Well, we have trained hard for some time, and I believe my replacement on the gears will do as good a job as the rest of the crew. Fortunately for us, the fighting has cleared a good stretch of land, so when the attack begins we won't need to rely on roads. Once we have crossed enemy lines, though, we will have to take them. Hopefully that will mean they're without supplies, so we won't have to worry about them. What do you do?

– I'm on the Infantry. As far as I know, I'll be the one keeping the breach open and taking what you leave behind. – Zé was surprised as she looked at the ground with a note of envy in her voice. – Nice to meet you... – Now on her feet, she looked at him, silently asking for his name.

– José, but everyone calls me Zé. And you?

– Berta. Roberta, but everybody calls me Berta. Goodbye.

– Farewell.

Zé watched her go, and after a while he himself went to the zone where most guys seemed to be dancing very close to each other. Tomorrow morning, Zé would wake up would be woken by sunlight by a tree near the tanks, hugging a stranger from behind. It felt warm, it felt good, but he also felt a needle of pain stinging in his heart. It was over now. Some officer was taking a look at the mess from afar. He would begin waking people up, and there was a lot of work to do. Zé shook the man he was hugging, imagined he was Rui and kissed him goodbye before rapidly buttoning up his clothes as he walked fast towards his tent. A dizzy, sleepy soldier who just woke up saw the officer and soon enough rushed to his own tent.

Hey everyone, I'm back!

I'd like to apologize for my lack of being here. I forgot my password and had trouble retrieving it, due to my gmail account.

If I could join this game again, that would be great, but if I can't, I understand.

Bet you guys thought I just got bored with this!

Good to have you back on-board! I'll have you reserved for Peru for the next turn, for now sit tight while I prepare the update :)

Yea, and I'm sure JK saw them and doesnt feel it necessary to edit his post. Don't worry :p

Its not like you have a habit of not sending orders in a war or anything!

Top Bottom