Summertime good idea, bad idea?

Summertime (Daylight Saving Time)

• Good Idea - the EU should keep it

Votes: 7 19.4%
  • Bad Idea - the EU should abolish it

Votes: 29 80.6%

• Total voters
People die too easily. Summertime provides natural selection making humankind stronger. :borg:
The strongest fish can jump the highest making it easier for osprey to catch
them.
Checkmate, Dawkins!

Our own poll atm is 3 against and 12, which is 80%, in favor of abolishing the daylight saving time.
A recent poll in the EU gave the same 80% !
And the EU is moving to implement it :)

Schermopname (1876).png

Are official results out yet? I see most people want to keep summer time the whole year. Was that expected?

I live far enough north (i.e. I live in Britain) that December/January are miserable as regards to available daylight. I'd be quite happy if we stayed on BST for good, even if that does mean not getting dark till gone 10 pm in June/July.

Problem for northern countries is they are going to be in the dark till 10 am in winter.

Well, yes, but then Iceland has no daylight at all at Christmas. It's all relative.

Are official results out yet? I see most people want to keep summer time the whole year. Was that expected?

From that article https://www.theguardian.com/world/2...nd-member-states-abolish-daylight-saving-time

“We carried out a survey, millions responded and believe that in future, summer time should be year-round, and that’s what will happen,” he told the German broadcaster ZDF, adding that the commission was due to make a decision later on Friday. “I will recommend to the commission that, if you ask the citizens, then you have to do what the citizens say,” said Juncker. “We will decide on this today, and then it will be the turn of the member states and the European parliament.”
Any change would still need approval from national governments and the European parliament to become law.

Regarding whether it becomes a fixed winter or summertime:
The commission said in the consultation it had two choices: to keep the current EU summertime arrangements, or to drop the biannual changes and allow individual member states to decide whether they wanted to adopt permanent summer or winter time, or a different time.

meh its called "Sommerzeit" - translating that as daylight savings time is just wrong (though correct ;)).
Edit: Note though that the EU commission asks for comments on "summertime arrangements".
That sounds cool...Maybe I should change my name to "Sommerzeit" :think:

FTR I am generally in favor of summertime :cool:, I'd hate to see it done away with. Incidentally, Isn't that what happened on Krypton?

You can't use the power of daylight savings to kill Darklords!

I live far enough north (i.e. I live in Britain) that December/January are miserable as regards to available daylight. I'd be quite happy if we stayed on BST for good, even if that does mean not getting dark till gone 10 pm in June/July.
I do not really get it. If your working hours are dictated by the sun, then BST means everything opens and closes earlier. I am more inconvenienced by closing hours than opening hours, so I would rather GMP to BST. If your working hours are not dictated by the sun then it is pretty much a consensus decision when you work, so it would be better to be on real time (ie. GMT) as it makes calculations about the current time and dawn / dusk much easier.

Given the advent of electric light, "real time" is an even more arbitrary distinction than before. That said, I live in a "sub-rural" community and I loathe walking home in the dark, so with all-year-round BST, it wouldn't be dark until 4.30 or 5 pm, even at Christmas.

From Health perspective, both physical as mental, it is most important for your Circadian Rhythm, that you do not change the time, and you get in the morning after waking up a good dose of real daylight.
Real daylight from even a clouded grey day is massively more than any amount of artificial light.
(unless you buy special blue light devices and spend time in it at close distance)

Given the advent of electric light, "real time" is an even more arbitrary distinction than before. That said, I live in a "sub-rural" community and I loathe walking home in the dark, so with all-year-round BST, it wouldn't be dark until 4.30 or 5 pm, even at Christmas.
I do not know what you are walking home from, so will assume it is an 8 hour day at work. Most people in the UK work their 8 hour day from 9 to 5 because as a society we have decided that is most convenient, and other countries have made different decisions (Spain as I understand it is generally later). Moving from GMT to BST is functionally equivalent to moving standard hours to 8 to 4, as well as making pubs close at 10 rather than 11. If everyone really wanted that we could do it, and doing it by changing the standard hours rather than moving from GMT to BST would allow us to keep "real time" and otherwise be the same.

By the advantages of real time I mean for example I see the sunset most every day, but rarely see sunrise. If I want to know what time sunrise will be tomorrow morning I can easily work is out roughly from sunset. To do than during BST needs quite a bit more thought. It also occasionally is useful for navigating and telling the time. I do not see this changes with the advent of electric light, the main thing that has changed is how many peoples work hours are dictated by the sun.

It's silly and I'm glad they are scrapping it. I hope Norway follow suit.
It's part of the EEA, so yes, we will. Changing the time twice a year is even dumber than summer time itself.

Noon is when the sun is highest on the sky. Surely there must be some astronomer's veto against he silliest of ideas of keeping summer time all year long!

I do not know what you are walking home from, so will assume it is an 8 hour day at work. Most people in the UK work their 8 hour day from 9 to 5 because as a society we have decided that is most convenient, and other countries have made different decisions (Spain as I understand it is generally later). Moving from GMT to BST is functionally equivalent to moving standard hours to 8 to 4, as well as making pubs close at 10 rather than 11. If everyone really wanted that we could do it, and doing it by changing the standard hours rather than moving from GMT to BST would allow us to keep "real time" and otherwise be the same.

One of the reasons why in Spain everything is generally later is that their timezone is more than 1 hour ahead of their 'real' time. I guess that supports your argument that you can just agree on when life happens, no matter what the clocks say. Because of that I am not very passionate about which time to keep. The important part is to abolish the clock shifting, which is much more trouble than its worth.

By the advantages of real time I mean for example I see the sunset most every day, but rarely see sunrise. If I want to know what time sunrise will be tomorrow morning I can easily work is out roughly from sunset. To do than during BST needs quite a bit more thought. It also occasionally is useful for navigating and telling the time. I do not see this changes with the advent of electric light, the main thing that has changed is how many peoples work hours are dictated by the sun.

Noon is when the sun is highest on the sky. Surely there must be some astronomer's veto against he silliest of ideas of keeping summer time all year long!

That only works when you, like Samson, have the privilege to live right in the middle of where your timezone should be. If I tried to calculate sunrise from sunset without accounting for any offset, I'd be already 30 minutes off (and I am in the 'correct' timezone, at least in winter). So if I already have to memorize an offset, it doesn't matter much how big it is. Unless you want every city to have its own timezone, 'real' time is limited to a fraction of the people, anyway.

If everyone who is now in the in the CET/CEST timezone would switch to CEST permanently, it would at least be fair in the sense that nobody would live in 'real' time. :lol:

That only works when you, like Samson, have the privilege to live right in the middle of where your timezone should be. If I tried to calculate sunrise from sunset without accounting for any offset, I'd be already 30 minutes off (and I am in the 'correct' timezone, at least in winter). So if I already have to memorize an offset, it doesn't matter much how big it is. Unless you want every city to have its own timezone, 'real' time is limited to a fraction of the people, anyway.

If everyone who is now in the in the CET/CEST timezone would switch to CEST permanently, it would at least be fair in the sense that nobody would live in 'real' time. :lol:
My hometown is very close to UTC+0.5. – or CET-0.5, if you will. And as a child I quite enjoyed being able to explain why the sun was highest in the sky at 12:30. :)

Having countries shift permanently to «summer time» time zones is just silly though. Keep the regular time, the regular time zone names, and if for some moronic reason people need to fool themselves with the clock to change their schedule, change the country's time zone!

But let's all finally kill the most stupid German invention that ever came out of the Great War!!

The time change plan has outlived any usefulness, mostly because it is inadequate. Time zones, whether or not they had a seasonal variable, came about because "meet me an hour after sunrise" no longer worked when transportation speeds made commerce over long distances in rapid fashion feasible. Your "an hour after sunrise" would be slightly, but noticeably different than how the other party saw it. The modern world includes conducting business on a global scale, and the differences in how we see the sun are consequently vast.

If I want customer service from a company on the US east coast that has "normal hours" I have to remember to call them in the morning. If they are a European company I have to call them in the middle of the night. So the entire structure of "normal hours" is breaking down. Making a pointless one hour shift to try to hold with the sun better, when the entire concept of holding with the sun at all is making less and less sense, is folly. China, running the entire country on Beijing time, has it right.

Top Bottom