Surprise C3C survey for all CFC'ers

Doesn't matter if you ever played Civilization 3: Conquests or not. Since you are a member of CFC you should know a thing or two about Sid Meier's Civilization, no?

For a limited time only starting now you have 48 hrs to answer this...

Do you prefer to have sound files included with your C3C unit downloads or would you rather create your own sound files?

As a Civ 2 Player.
Sound files included since i can then use them for my personal mods.

Include all sound files with the game.

I play with the sound off.

If a unit designer also wants to make sounds, by all means, that's quite helpful. If I want my own sounds, your including of sounds won't stop me!

Why would games not include sound? If the player doesn't want it, they can turn it off. There are some games I play in which I like the ambient sounds but not the music, or vice-versa. Most games let me adjust these as preferred.

Then there are some games in which I get so involved with the music that I forget about the game.

That's inconvenient when each turn is timed... :shifty:

Do you prefer to have sound files included with your C3C unit downloads or would you rather create your own sound files?
so never done civ3 mod stuff, downloads or otherwise.

if it's just a unit-added-to-the-game-mod, best option is two mod versions, one with sound, and one without.

if it's toolbox stuff for you to use the unit in some further modding, always add the sound. then the modder can remove it later.

If it is something that is included in the unit download itself, then I would include the sound file.

I also play with the sound off, so if I’m doing something for Civ2 I will include the sound as a separate file for people to download if they wish.

Why shouldn't the unit include sound files?

Why shouldn't the unit include sound files?
Many unit creators spend a lot of their energy and time creating astounding units. I can understand if they don't include sound files in their unit downloads because sound effects themselves are very time consuming to research and create.

Good answers everyone! It's interesting to see how we all like to play our games.

Yeah, it's a whole other skill and task to do audio than it is to do graphics.

Many unit creators spend a lot of their energy and time creating astounding units. I can understand if they don't include sound files in their unit downloads because sound effects themselves are very time consuming to research and create.

Good answers everyone! It's interesting to see how we all like to play our games.

I was trying to explain the appeal of playing Civ II to my mother and someone else. They couldn't wrap their minds around it until I said (over the phone), "But it has elephants! Listen!"

So I held the receiver close to the computer speakers and had one of my elephant units attack someone. That trumpeting sound elephants make in that game is funny and cute, and my mother started to laugh. She could finally understand that games with elephants might be fun, even though the actual point of the game escaped her. She never actually did get the idea of gaming on computers.

And consider this: There is a unit in Civ II: Test of Time that is invisible. You can't see it until it enters the zone of control for your city, and then only if you've got your city screen open and can see where it is (it looks like s worm). The only indication you have that one is even close is the sound it makes. At that point, you need to open up every city in the vicinity, or be prepared to attack or retreat if you encounter one away from the city because you don't know where it is. They don't become fully visible until they attack.

Ditto for some of the units that can teleport. ToT is played on maps that have 4 vertical levels, and some units can teleport to any of them. Sometimes you get no warning other than a brief sound before you're attacked by an enemy that seems to come from nowhere.

I haven’t touched Civ3 modding in ages. I prefer having sounds included with the unit download (or at least mapped to the game’s default library so there’s some sound).

Well, of course I meant that if at all possible. But there's no reason not to include them.

Considering that I have no expertise in creating my own sound files (beyond "record something with a microphone in Audacity"), I vote for "sounds included".

Of course I realize that this is extra effort and a different skill set, and thus not a realistic expectation for all units. But if presented as a binary "included or not included", as a consumer of the unit, I'd prefer one with sound, all else equal.

Considering that I have no expertise in creating my own sound files (beyond "record something with a microphone in Audacity"), I vote for "sounds included".

Of course I realize that this is extra effort and a different skill set, and thus not a realistic expectation for all units. But if presented as a binary "included or not included", as a consumer of the unit, I'd prefer one with sound, all else equal.
Didn't most unit creators in CivIII (eg Wyrm, Plotinus etc) include generic (not made by them) sounds? (I don't remember, since I modded units in only very early on - maybe they just asked you to manually link the units to existent Firaxis sounds in the editor?)
Iirc, even if the unit in CivIII came with new sounds, you'd still have to link those in the editor.

Didn't most unit creators in CivIII (eg Wyrm, Plotinus etc) include generic (not made by them) sounds? (I don't remember, since I modded units in only very early on - maybe they just asked you to manually link the units to existent Firaxis sounds in the editor?)
Iirc, even if the unit in CivIII came with new sounds, you'd still have to link those in the editor.
Wyrm, Ares DeBorg, and Tom2050 (sic?) come to my mind immediately when thinking of unit creators who tended to more often than not include sounds in their unit downloads.

Today it's a mixed bag when we do get units however I'm ok with that. I've gotten pretty good myself in finding and formatting sound effects for units.

Top Bottom