• Civilization 7 has been announced. For more info please check the forum here .

[GS] Sweden Livestream Discussion Thread

upload_2019-1-17_20-36-7.png

Ranged promotion tree change. Garrison works also with forts.

upload_2019-1-17_20-37-25.png

Coal power plant improved compared to previous GS builds. Before it was just 1 production. Now it's the same as the adjacency bonus of the district, which is amazing, as it rewards good IZ placement and it's also affected by the double adjacency bonus cards.

upload_2019-1-17_20-40-22.png

Not sure if we had the factory one from GS, but it's definitely much better than the vanilla version when powered (5 vs 3).

All of this sounds good. I personally never pillage and always feel like I'm missing out, but now I definitely need to incorporate it. It might be better to raid in a defensive war than capture in the right circumstances.

Barbary Corsairs is not a direction I'm thrilled about for the Ottomans, but qe'll see what happens.

Amani's changes sort of bug me. GS' upgrade tree does make more sense, but the only promotion I liked for her is gone now (2 loyalty to your own nearby cities).

I wonder if Norway has unannounced buffs still or of the pillage boost was all they get.

Coal power plant improved compared to previous GS builds. Before it was just 1 production. Now it's the same as the adjacency bonus of the district, which is amazing, as it rewards good IZ placement and it's also affected by the double adjacency bonus cards.

View attachment 515207

Not sure if we had the factory one from GS, but it's definitely much better than the vanilla version when powered (5 vs 3).

Awesome.

Now, c’mon FXS. Show us what you’ve done with anti-cav?

Nice spot. +4 production with bonus production matching the city's adjacency bonus is actually quite good.

Quick primer on Canals, Historical Background, Ships, for Use Of:

1900 BCE (Ancient Era) The Egyptians built a canal to haul boats around one of the cataracts on the Nile, increasing the useful length of the river, basically.
1380 BCE (Ancient Era) first attempt at a Nile-Red Sea Canal
approx. 600 BCE (Classical Era) Corinth in Greece had a 'shipway', a smoothed passage so trade and warships (up to Trireme, at least) could be hauled across the Isthmus of Corinth. Not sure of the date of the original shipway, but by the 7th century BCE they had carved out a genuine sea-level canal across the Isthmus.
approx. 600 CE (early Medieval Era): Grand Canal completed in China. This included some primitive locks, again was primarily to lengthen the usable stretch of the river system and improve internal communication and trade.
1600 CE (Renaissance Era) Rhone and Seine Rivers connected by a canal in France
Between approximately 1600 and 1800 CE the British Isles, France, and the Low Countries were covered with canals for barge traffic, which included locks to cross raised ground and even tunnels to take canals from one side of a mountain to the other
1681 CE (late Renaissance Era) Lanqueduc Canal completed linking the Atlantic Ocean and Mediterranean Sea: a genuine sea-linking Civ VI-type canal.
1869 CE (Industrial Era) Suez Canal completed
1914 CE (Modern Era) Panama Canal cmpleted
1914 CE: Houston Ship Canal opens, a 50 mile long waterway between the city and Galveston Bay that turned an inland city into a Deep Water Port.
1933 CE Baltic Sea - White Sea Canal opens in the USSR: another sea-to-sea canal, this one built almost entirely using convict labor.

To Summarize, sea-level canals across flat land (Civ Terrain: plains, desert, grasslands) were built starting in the Ancient Era, but they were horribly expensive (the Red Sea Canal silted up constantly, required constant, expensive maintenance) and so few and far between.
In the Medieval Era in China, Renaissance Era in Europe canal locks were invented, allowing canals to be built across hills.

The earliest use of canals was to 'improve' rivers to get around obstacles (rapids, cataracts) and improve Trade and Transport/movement along rivers, or even build 'artificial' rivers (Grand Canal in China, canals in Renaissance/Industrial Era Europe).
This feature seems to be still entirely missing in Civ VI.

Canals could be enlarged when they got too small for shipping. The Kiel ("Kaiser Wilhelm") Canal, for instance, was built across the 'neck' of the Danish peninsula to allow Germany's High Seas Fleet to get from the Baltic to the North Sea without going through Danish waters. First completed in 1895 CE, by 1907 it had to be enlarged to accommodate the new Dreadnaught-type battleships. It was finished in 1914, just in time for World War One. Note that even though it was a High Priority Project, it still took 7 years to enlarge, or about 50% longer than it took to build a Battleship from scratch.

In short, we got about half the canal features possible in Civ VI Gathering Storm. Better than Nothing that we got in all previous Civs, but still incomplete.
IF they had a realistic Trade system that reflected the importance of rivers to trade before the railroad, then a 'river improving or expanding' canal system would make sense in Game Terms, and a Grand Canal or Erie Canal Wonder could also be implemented.

Maybe by Civ VII . . .

Re-watching the stream I had updated the Features Thread with all the new World Congress Info

I haven't had a chance to watch the stream yet, but were World Congress proposals still randomized?

I can remember watching the canal being built in the city of Karlstad in the stream and thinking "this'll allow your ships to get out into the ocean from a city that had no access to it, how cool." But now I realise that the canal now allows trade routes to be sent out into sea/ocean from that city.

Sea/ocean trade routes have gotten a big buff in GS, they will be like what they were in Civ V. So I say it's well worthwhile to build a canal if you get access to trade routes via sea/ocean.

I haven't had a chance to watch the stream yet, but were World Congress proposals still randomized?

Yes, it's randomized but with two rules:

- It seems there is a relative small sample of possible ones per era.
- The randomization system is geared towards proposing ones that haven't been proposed.

Seriously... This is going to drive me nuts, why are the Accept and Refuse Deal buttons reversed?!

I wonder if Norway has unannounced buffs still or of the pillage boost was all they get.
My interpretation was that they buffed pillaging which therefore benefits Norway indirectly, but their wording was a little vague.

Just watched the stream on youtube. Sweden, who is being played by Karl, has a city named Karlstad which is actually a real Swedish city :lol:
If it helps, I think the QA guy's name is Carl. :p

After watching the livestream I now understand why the World Congress offers two options, each with different results. It's to avoid the problems of the Civ5 World Congress, especially the tendency of the AI to block resolutions and do nothing until the next session. It's a good improvement.

Top Bottom