Sweden

I have 2 small problems with the Swedish UA:

1) Gaining the GP generation bonus requires you to play nice with the other civs. The problem is that they don't always want to play nice. Sometimes they hate you for reasons beyond your control. They frequently switch alignments unpredictably. I know there are improvements to diplomacy coming up, but it's pretty tedious to keep up friendships with your neighbors. Also, DoF'd civs beg and bleed your coffers dry. If you say no, they hate you. It annoys me to have a UA that depends on the AI to work.

2) You gain extra influence gifting GP to city-states. That's a really high opportunity cost. Those GP are better spent elsewhere. The only ones I'd be inclined to give away are Artists and excess Generals, and that's only because it seems that they don't make Golden Ages anymore. Unless you stockpile GP's to gift to city-states right before a UN vote, I don't see this as being a frequently used ability.

We don't know yet what changes has been made to the abilities of Great People, and we have also heard that it will be different to win influence with city states. There will be more quests, and there is also a believe that increases influence with city states that share your religion. If it is still possible to buy influence with gold, it is most likely going to be a lot more expensive.

Just realized Sweden will be a lock for diplomatic victory. Note that one of the quests is to generate GP for CS's. They will do this at a higher rate than other civs with DoF's. You can instantly capitalize on the quest by conserving GP. Then instead of gold to buy a UN vote, you can simply gift your remaining GP and earn 90 influence close to the last turn. Then buy out the rest with gold.

As I've mentioned before in another topic, Sweden is definitely going to be one of my favourite civs to play as. It encourages peaceful play and involves Great People in a large way.

It's just a shame that if Greece or Austria are in the same game as Sweden, they'll have a LOT of problems. At least that 10% Great Person Generation bonus will be helpful. I hope it stacks to encourage being friendly with more people.

People might think that if the bonus stacks, it'll be overpowered, but really, if you can get declarations of friendships with 8 people, you're doing something right, aren't you? And how likely is that?
In most of my games, when I get DoFs, I get about 2 or 3 before I can't accept any more of them for fear of annoying my friends. 20-30% bonus generation for Great People sounds fairly decent!

Plus, if you're not playing as Sweden, you have a nice reason to be friends with them. Hooray. If one were to be going for a domination victory, I could see people picking off Sweden last to try and get as much out of the bonus as possible.

All in all, really interesting civ, and that's just their UA! Shame they don't have a UB, but oh well.

All in all, really interesting civ, and that's just their UA! Shame they don't have a UB, but oh well.

Sweden doesn't need any UB . Obviously,the range of the use of those 2 UU are restricted,thanks to the fact that Sweden needs to play nice with others to use their UA,but that doesn't mean they have to be friendly with everybody everytime . And depending on the circumstances,getting one enemy or another can even help them to get more friends .

Sweden doesn't need any UB . Obviously,the range of the use of those 2 UU are restricted,thanks to the fact that Sweden needs to play nice with others to use their UA,but that doesn't mean they have to be friendly with everybody everytime . And depending on the circumstances,getting one enemy or another can even help them to get more friends .

Keep in mind that Sweden's UA includes two things: being able to generate more great people through DoF's and being able to gift city states great people for influence. This makes them quite versatile in my opinion, and going for all-out domination is definitely not out of the question as you will generate a ton of Great Generals (and Great Admirals?) through conquering. Since gold gifts effectiveness will be reduced, I could see maintaining many City State allies while waging a lot of war becoming more difficult for most civilizations. Sweden will definitely get an advantage in that area.

Overall, I'm really excited about the whole UA. It seems to be very versatile, and depending on how strong the UU's are, I could see Sweden becoming a viable option for any victory condition, even for higher difficulty levels.

Fore those who wonder if Sweden gets 10% Great Person generation for each civ they DoF with I can tell that they do. I had a DoF with 3 other civs, and the tooltip said 30%.

Fore those who wonder if Sweden gets 10% Great Person generation for each civ they DoF with I can tell that they do. I had a DoF with 3 other civs, and the tooltip said 30%.
Thank you very much for that info.
Sweden might be pretty balanced then after all....?

I always like fun UAs. Like Spain u need to play in a specific style to take advantage of Sweden's strength that is actually a good thing & adds flavour to such civs.

Neither the UUs or the UA are of any use during the first half of the game. Should Sweden start with focusing on survival?

I bought a GP with faith and gifted it to a nearby CS that was already better than neutral with me . . . and I didn't even get ally! Hiawatha was spending tons of gold on CS.

Hiawatha ended up building utopia several turns before I finished (he was also building space ship parts!)

If I had settled the GP I probably would have been better off.

Suggestion:

Sweden's UA should be buffed to give automatic ally status w/ GP gift. (by degrading all other civ's reputation)

About Sweden, and I know I can easily change this myself and that it isn't a major issue, but why is Gothenburg so far down Swedens city-list?
I mean, it is the second largest city in Sweden, the Fifth largest in the Nordic countries, as well as being the largest port in the Nordic countries.

Also I am from the same county, but still....

At the time its in-game leader was alive, did it occupy the same exalted position?

Manually change the name of an early city to Gothenburg if it bothers you?

At the time its in-game leader was alive, did it occupy the same exalted position?

Gustavus Adolphus founded the city, and it was the only port Sweden had to the west at the time. It was certainly more important than Helsinki or Sigtuna, not to mention that Malmö comes before it in the city-list, even though it wasn't a Swedish city then.

-

Manually change the name of an early city to Gothenburg if it bothers you?
... and I know I can easily change this myself and that it isn't a major issue...

-

Moderator Action: Merged into a bigger and more general thread.
(because I don't really think that this deserves its own topic, sorry)
Yeah, you're right, should have thought of that.

Top Bottom