Swingin' Dead Bodies;

lostkitten13

Custom User Title
ffh2 violent?:I don't think anyone here would disagree with this, but...I dunno if it's gonna be a "offtopic" thread, even though it always ends up that way.

Wonderin' why? I gotta project on violence in VGs'.

if you're like me you usually love reading the civiolpedia. There are, no doubt, alot of violent reading material and was just wondering, to the people who contribute or enjoy it , are they personal fantasys? experiences? do you love it? why do we(humanity) love harming others? why as a society do we "enjoy" such violence? do you, I, we, glorifiy it? is it ever the rightful and justful way to kill another mainly on their beliefs and actions that we as society deem "evil"? But most of all, think back to the medievil eras here on earth, did these things ever happen, and how could they?

now don't get me wrong, this thread isn't for personal research(snicker) or because I will offically be permantly banned from the library computer from now on, NO!:mischief::suicide: ...its for a better understanding of those that do play this mod. Also with how to make it more violent -:)mwaha:-evil laugh inserted here-:mwaha:)-

and to make this thread more on the topic of ffh2, insert screenies of units being brutally killed! Or just more screenies of those kick-booty doviello berserkers!

and why a study of violence in VGs' on a ffh2 forum? it's the only game(civ4) I own.

lostkitten13 said:
ffh2 violent?:I don't think anyone here would disagree with this, but...I dunno if it's gonna be a "offtopic" thread, even though it always ends up that way.

Wonderin' why? I gotta project on violence in VGs'.

if you're like me you usually love reading the civiolpedia. There are, no doubt, alot of violent reading material and was just wondering, to the people who contribute or enjoy it , are they personal fantasys? experiences? do you love it? why do we(humanity) love harming others? why as a society do we "enjoy" such violence? do you, I, we, glorifiy it? is it ever the rightful and justful way to kill another mainly on their beliefs and actions that we as society deem "evil"? But most of all, think back to the medievil eras here on earth, did these things ever happen, and how could they?

now don't get me wrong, this thread isn't for personal research(snicker) or because I will offically be permantly banned from the library computer from now on, NO!:mischief::suicide: ...its for a better understanding of those that do play this mod. Also with how to make it more violent -:)mwaha:-evil laugh inserted here-:mwaha:)-

and to make this thread more on the topic of ffh2, insert screenies of units being brutally killed! Or just more screenies of those kick-booty doviello berserkers!

and why a study of violence in VGs' on a ffh2 forum? it's the only game(civ4) I own.

as i am the creator of the unit... well, it was not my idea, someone wrote it in a description for doviello in general i think, back then i thought it would be impossible to create an animation for it (i normally think in such terms, animation, textures and art stuff :) ), but everyone said it would be cool to have a unit beating his enemies with a body. And then one day i had the idea how it could work nif-wise.... then i simply had to try it,.. well and the result is just as nice from a creative perspective as it is brutally disgusting in itself.
So, it was more a challange to create than a dream of creating something brutal. (i dont like splatter movies or stuff like that ;) )
I even didnt know if i really should release the unit :rolleyes:

FPS are a lot more violent why ever have troubles about an animation which give you a unit swinging bodies?This mod adds flavour to the game and this animation add too!

Violence in real life is regrettable, but what is truly deploreable is agression. If violence is the only means of protecting yourself or those who cannot protect themselves, it is noble, in fiction as in life. As long as humans are humans, there will be evil men (and women, though not usually violent ones) and good men must be willing to stop them, however necessary. Thus I have no problem with fiction that presents violence as desireable in the context of battling evil to protect innocents, or even fiction that presents evil as vicious as it can be. (Nothing in Ffh compares with some of the worst, or best, of real history.)
That said, I don't really care for excessive gore in writing or images, however, at the detail level possible in Civ4, there's not really much gore possible without looking really cheesy. The Doviello unit may be on the borderline of good taste, but it certainly looks cool and is certainly an achievement. It gets the grim spirit of these savages across quite well.

It works great flavor-wise, but the upgrade Mithril Weapons seems a little weird unless it's swinging a certain golem around.

Well, we've already had Nikis-Knight's disclaimer, and I can't speak for Corlindale, but I personally test evreything I write out on volunteers I find on the internet. That way the blood and gore is as realistic as possible. It's not fantasies, it's research. And noone can prove a thing.

@diesel: You never now, he could have stuck Mithril spikes in his corpse.

wilboman said:
Well, we've already had Nikis-Knight's disclaimer, and I can't speak for Corlindale, but I personally test evreything I write out on volunteers I find on the internet. That way the blood and gore is as realistic as possible. It's not fantasies, it's research. And noone can prove a thing.

Always willing to go that extra mile for FfH. :D

someone needs to post a picture of the unit in question, as I haven't run across it yet. I'm inferring its Doviello, but they never seem to show up in my games :(

As far as disturbing violence in ffh, I don't think any of the units and animations in the game are really that bad, that I've seen so far. But seriously, whoever wrote the flavor text for some of the Octopus Overlords and Ashen Veil spells, units, and buildings needs some help. I had a sick feeling in my stomach for 2 days after reading the description in the civ-pedia for Mutate. I used to play as the Calabim with the Veil until i read some of the Pedia. Now its Bannor, Order, and crusade all the way to wipe out the evil the first chance I get. Some well-intentioned fanaticism now and then is preferable to me over the malevolent powers hinted at in the descriptions for Mutate, Infernal Grimoire, Flauros' description, and the leader of the Doviello's description, to name a few.

Honestly though, this game has some very talented fiction writers to evoke such a strong emotional reaction from the player and reader. Good job.

wilboman said:

That's what I call true berserker spirit: You have superior weapons available but prefer to pound your enemy with their fallen comrades. Just because you're that bad.

Violence in real life is regrettable, but what is truly deploreable is agression. If violence is the only means of protecting yourself or those who cannot protect themselves, it is noble, in fiction as in life. As long as humans are humans, there will be evil men (and women, though not usually violent ones) and good men must be willing to stop them, however necessary.

i'm gonna qqwha this, because what violence in any form can be called "noble"? Why must one defend another at the expense of theirselves when the one they're defending cannot do it themselves. It's as if they are "babying" the victim and not really "helping". Also according to one person, something he may want to protect and consider the "right" way may be considered evil to another: think about religions.

marioflag said:
FPS are a lot more violent why ever have troubles about an animation which give you a unit swinging bodies?This mod adds flavour to the game and this animation add too!

heey-
I agree, in fact I'm hoping it'll be MORE violent
:mwaha:, but this thread is more for an insight into why "we" enjoy any violence in any everyday activity. Like laughing at someone getting hurt.
For me it's because it's taboo.

The Bramble said:
someone needs to post a picture of the unit in question, as I haven't run across it yet. I'm inferring its Doviello, but they never seem to show up in my games :(

As far as disturbing violence in ffh, I don't think any of the units and animations in the game are really that bad, that I've seen so far. But seriously, whoever wrote the flavor text for some of the Octopus Overlords and Ashen Veil spells, units, and buildings needs some help. I had a sick feeling in my stomach for 2 days after reading the description in the civ-pedia for Mutate. I used to play as the Calabim with the Veil until i read some of the Pedia. Now its Bannor, Order, and crusade all the way to wipe out the evil the first chance I get. Some well-intentioned fanaticism now and then is preferable to me over the malevolent powers hinted at in the descriptions for Mutate, Infernal Grimoire, Flauros' description, and the leader of the Doviello's description, to name a few.

Honestly though, this game has some very talented fiction writers to evoke such a strong emotional reaction from the player and reader. Good job.

A lot of the OO spell flavor text comes from Xeunay, including the beautiful mutation entry you mentioned. The Infernal Grimoire piece was written back in the FfH1 days, and I think it was Xeunay who submitted that as well. Flauros's entry is from Nikis-Knight and Charadon's is from Corlindale.

I agree with you that they are amazing writers (and probably a bit disturbed).

The Bramble said:
As far as disturbing violence in ffh, I don't think any of the units and animations in the game are really that bad, that I've seen so far. But seriously, whoever wrote the flavor text for some of the Octopus Overlords and Ashen Veil spells, units, and buildings needs some help. I had a sick feeling in my stomach for 2 days after reading the description in the civ-pedia for Mutate.

:D

Thanks, that was great to hear. You just made my day. ;) (And yeah, I wrote the Infernal Grimoire text, too.)

If you think those stories are bad, you should hear my calculus instructor. He likes to talk about the Irish-Catholic ghetto he grew up in, some city in Arizona. Going by his stories, I think he and his gang had about 12 fingers among them by the time they grew up.

wilboman said:

really?!?! haaha, no remorse eh?

oh and Kael, I think the harlequins should be designed after actual harlequin babies...wouldn't that be beautiful seeing funked up harlequin babies running around killing people, with like really horrid graphics! and voice over screams of their victims!

back @Wilboman; if ya ever need research for them harle-babies I'll be glad to try pop one out for yah...

@ anyone: if u think Im serious, maybe you're the ones that need to...I dunno, learn about sarcasm.

FfH is violent because it's a mod of Civilization and Civilization is one of the most violent game on earth : you can genocide 100 000 000 poor guys just because you are in bad mood, you can exterminate a religion in less than hour or burn to ground the countries cause their people don't have your skin color.

The difference between a world strategy game and a FPS is the same as between a dictator and a serial-killer : the first is shown on the TV, the second hidden in books.

Pretty sure I've seen movies and TV programs about serial killers :p

Top Bottom