Symbols of the World: flags & buttons for new civs

yenemus

Chieftain
Included in this pack are the .dds files of flags and buttons as well as bitmap images of each flag/button for ease of editing. Also included are the original source images that were used. The buttons are individual files and not in the Atlas format.

I tried to stick to the simple, two-coloured, iconic designs of the default civs. Heraldic symbols were used in preference to modern-day flags in most cases. In cases where there was no flag or symbol available, I designed one based on the cultural, artistic or architectural flavour of the civilization.

The civilizations are:
Aboriginal Empire, Aksumite Empire, Assyrian Empire, Austrian Empire, Bulgarian Empire, Cham Empire, Danish Empire, Ghanaian Empire, Hittite Empire, Hungarian Empire, Hunnic Empire, Irish Empire, Israeli Empire, Kongo Empire, Lombard Empire, Moorish Empire, Mycenaean Empire, Nubian Empire, Polish Empire, Polynesian Empire , Scottish Empire, Swedish Empire, Timurid Empire, Welsh Empire.

Here's a sample of the buttons:

They are placed in and amongst the default ones for comparison. The buttons marked with a yellow circle are the ones included in the pack. They're in alphabetical order so I'll let you figure out which one's which.

I'm sorry I can't take screenshots of the flags in-game at the moment because I don't have Civ installed on my laptop. If anyone tests them out it'd be nice if they could take some screenies.

I intended to do a lot more civilizations than this but I thought I'd release these first and see how they're received. If anyone wants to make suggestions or requests for the next release please feel free.

Download Link :goodjob:

Included in this pack are the .dds files of flags and buttons as well as bitmap images of each flag/button for ease of editing. Also included are the original source images that were used. The buttons are individual files and not in the Atlas format.

I tried to stick to the simple, two-coloured, iconic designs of the default civs. Heraldic symbols were used in preference to modern-day flags in most cases. In cases where there was no flag or symbol available, I designed one based on the cultural, artistic or architectural flavour of the civilization.

The civilizations are:
Aboriginal Empire, Aksumite Empire, Assyrian Empire, Austrian Empire, Bulgarian Empire, Cham Empire, Danish Empire, Ghanaian Empire, Hittite Empire, Hungarian Empire, Hunnic Empire, Irish Empire, Israeli Empire, Kongo Empire, Lombard Empire, Moorish Empire, Mycenaean Empire, Nubian Empire, Polish Empire, Polynesian Empire , Scottish Empire, Swedish Empire, Timurid Empire, Welsh Empire.

Here's a sample of the buttons:

They are placed in and amongst the default ones for comparison. The buttons marked with a yellow circle are the ones included in the pack. They're in alphabetical order so I'll let you figure out which one's which.

I'm sorry I can't take screenshots of the flags in-game at the moment because I don't have Civ installed on my laptop. If anyone tests them out it'd be nice if they could take some screenies.

I intended to do a lot more civilizations than this but I thought I'd release these first and see how they're received. If anyone wants to make suggestions or requests for the next release please feel free.

Download Link :goodjob:

Nice !

I hate when custom civ haven't bicolor flag. I prefer the vanilla falg system (bicolor icon) than modern flag and you did a great job with the new civ. I hope that you'll be able to do a flag for each of the civ of civgold :p .

If you take special request, I would like one for Italy and one for Mexico for my last two LH:D

Thanks !

Nice work but I am unable to download. Is it just me?

These are excellent! I've got a few requests:
Iroquois
Cherokee
Toltec

Think you could do those? I'd be very grateful. There are more Native civs, too, but I can't remember what they are right now :)
Thanks. And sure, shouldn't be too hard. If you have any specific designs in mind, let me know.

Nice !

I hate when custom civ haven't bicolor flag. I prefer the vanilla flag system (bicolor icon) than modern flag and you did a great job with the new civ. I hope that you'll be able to do a flag for each of the civ of civgold :p .

If you take special request, I would like one for Italy and one for Mexico for my last two LH:D

Thanks !
Every civ in civgold? Hmm, I can't recall if they already have decent flags. But in any case, it would be useful as a good reference for civs I could attempt. Do you know where I can find a list of the civs in Civgold?

As for your requests, Mexico is easy - the eagle. But I'm having trouble with Italy; they don't really seem to have a national icon. Any suggestions?

Nice work but I am unable to download. Is it just me?
Oh. I'm not too sure why that is but I think it might be because the file needs to be approved by a moderator or something? Dunno...

And thanks all for the quick feedback! Still looking for any more suggestions. :D

For civ Gold, finally they all have bicolor flags, it is only that the civ button isn't alway this bicolor flag but sometime is the modern flag or a flag with more than 2 colors.

If you want, you mat go throught the mod and check if some flags need some works because you already made flags for some civ that are in civGold and yours are way better ;) So if you post updated version of civ flag that are in the mod, I'll post in the civ gold forum to tell them to use your flags :D

Edit :
Here is the list of the civ that are in version 3
Spoiler :
Aborigines
Abyssinia
Albania
Argentina
Australia
Austria
Babylon
Brazil
Canada
Croatia
Finland
Indonesia
Ireland
Iroquois
Israel
Lithuania
Maasai
Maghreb
Magyar
Malagasy
Maori
Maya
Nubia
Pakistan
Poland
Polynesia
Portugal
Romania
Scotland
Siam
Sioux
Sumer
Sweden
Tibet
Togo
Ukraine
Upaajut
Vietnam
Yemen

Babylon, Maya, Portugal, Sumer are already done (Firaxis).
Scythia is in Civ Gold 3 too.
Yenemus completed 8 buttons directly related to civs included in civgold3 so far :
Aborigene [ Awesome button IMO ]
Austria
Poland
Ireland [ good but ... ]
Israel
Magyar [ if Hungary can be accounted for Magyar ... ]
Polynesia [ mmmmhh, not awesome IMO ]
Maghreb [ if Moorish can be accounted for Maghreb ... ]

The rest of the set is pure marvel. I especially like the Kongo, the Ghana and the Aborigene.

For civ Gold, finally they all have bicolor flags, it is only that the civ button isn't alway this bicolor flag but sometime is the modern flag or a flag with more than 2 colors.

The in-game team flags are all bi-colour with a proper alpha channel. The pedia icons are not all bi-colour, but most of the new ones are.

These are better shaded, though. I'll gladly use them.

yenemus,

I've already done all the team colour flags for 4.0, but none of the pedia icons/buttons. If you'd like to do those, I can give you a list of 4.0 civs. I can even send you the completed team colour flags for reference.

I do notice that, coincidentally, we've used some of the same images in any case.

Got the file downloaded now, thanks. And for possible reference, here is a link to a list of Italian flags from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Italian_flags

I think one of the local flags or maybe a coat of arms may have to be used in lieu of the three color Italian flag. Perhaps the Florence coat of arms below.

Wyz_sub10,

Sure, I'd love to help out. The teamcolour flags would be really useful too. But, I can't promise that it'll be done by any certain date; been slightly busy with real life recently.

snipperrabbit - glad you like the Kongo one. Made the tribal mask thingy from scratch, took me ages. =P

And as for Italy, the badge inside the old national coat of arms (white cross on red b/g) is too closely associated with Denmark and Switzerland. And the fleur-de-lis from the Florence coat of arms looks too frenchy. Hmm, it is pretty awkward to choose a symbol for Italy. I went with a typical Italian white crown on a red background. Looks maybe too pope-y... I dunno.

You culd try one of these for Italy:

This is inappropriate, it is used from the Navy because those 4 are the flags of the Maritime Republics of italian middle ages.
Venice (the Lion)
Genua (The Cross of St. George)
Amalfi (white cross on blue)
Pisa (white cross on red)

And as for Italy, the badge inside the old national coat of arms (white cross on red b/g) is too closely associated with Denmark and Switzerland. And the fleur-de-lis from the Florence coat of arms looks too frenchy. Hmm, it is pretty awkward to choose a symbol for Italy. I went with a typical Italian white crown on a red background. Looks maybe too pope-y... I dunno.

1- The fleur de lis is not the Florentine symbol. The French one is the "lilium" and the Florentine one is the white "iris" that grows around Florence. The Florentine symbol has very old origins, most probably older than the French one. It was originally white (like the iris) on red.
2- The white cross on red bg. has been the symbol of the House of Savoy from Amedeo III "the Crusader", hence prior to Switzerland AFAIK.
3- The current colors derive from the blason of Milan, the white and red of St. George cross (which is also the symbol of Genua), the green from the Sforza's serpent. St. George's cross would be appropriate but unfortunately it is already used in the game by England.
4- what is the typical italian white crown ?

This is inappropriate, it is used from the Navy because those 4 are the flags of the Maritime Republics of italian middle ages.
Venice (the Lion)
Genua (The Cross of St. George)
Amalfi (white cross on blue)
Pisa (white cross on red)

1- The fleur de lis is not the Florentine symbol. The French one is the "lilium" and the Florentine one is the white "iris" that grows around Florence. The Florentine symbol has very old origins, most probably older than the French one. It was originally white (like the iris) on red.
2- The white cross on red bg. has been the symbol of the House of Savoy from Amedeo III "the Crusader", hence prior to Switzerland AFAIK.
3- The current colors derive from the blason of Milan, the white and red of St. George cross (which is also the symbol of Genua), the green from the Sforza's serpent. St. George's cross would be appropriate but unfortunately it is already used in the game by England.
4- what is the typical italian white crown ?

So, what is your suggestion ?:D

Thanks for the great feedback and suggestions. Here's a sample of v.2 content just to let you know I'm actually working on it. The blank spaces will eventually all be filled in to give you 44 new flags (not including v.1 content). Ofcourse, all the requests from this thread will be included amongst them.

Expect the new pack some time soon. Until then, have fun guessing the new additions and filling in the blanks (it's in alphabetical order).

Happy New Year! :)

Top Bottom