SYSNES2: On the Lathe of Suns

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most of the societal/government transitions slow down Spread economies even further when completed (due to increased resource requirements, which disproportionately affect high p and high region societies) before the development levels begin to slowly rise.

That's not what that word means.

Though building upkeep is an issue that hits spread civs hard, which is why subsidiarity economies have such a bonus to it. An easier way to get a building consumption bonus (or an increased malus to building consumption with other models) might be the way to go.

High p, low e societies are currently getting shafted by political transition costs, while high e, low p societies can transition much quicker and cheaper.

Maybe instead of connecting it to p, connect costs to the size of the economy, mandating that 10-15% of e income be dedicated to transitioning each year rather than 5e/p.

I like it. :) Wasn't what I'd have expected for Standard music though. I'd have expected something a bit more folksy and militaristic (as odd as those two things sound together), and a bit less Coldplay-ish. :p

Standards definitely don't strike me as melancholy. :p

Of course, that could just stand to make their music a little bit more interesting, as it perhaps reveals characteristics or history that are not currently obvious to outside observers of Standard culture.

OOC: It didn't sound folksy to me. I thought it sounded more like a fallen member of the bourgeois classes seeking redemption or something hmm..

New buildings list

Spoiler :

discuss!

Additional note: Lackwits who think they should have an e bonus from low standard of living - this already exists, its upkeep savings from lack of social infra you turds.

Interesting List.

So there are a lot of things that seem to be of one type: i.e. Foundry/Refinary look to be forge, but the low efficiency and low cost makes me thing its related to Settler factions, i.e. they are able to settle lots of regions and convert at low efficiency lots of regions materials.

Forge factions seem like they would still use the Foundry/Refinary but only as part of the build up of the habitat, whilst it develops and then transition to an Industrial park.

The other Settler thing seems to be the whole mass transit and concentration of power into a region (Although most factions might want to dip into a few of these things)

Looks fun to investigate in more detail though.

Interesting List.

So there are a lot of things that seem to be of one type: i.e. Foundry/Refinary look to be forge, but the low efficiency and low cost makes me thing its related to Settler factions, i.e. they are able to settle lots of regions and convert at low efficiency lots of regions materials.

Forge factions seem like they would still use the Foundry/Refinary but only as part of the build up of the habitat, whilst it develops and then transition to an Industrial park.

The other Settler thing seems to be the whole mass transit and concentration of power into a region (Although most factions might want to dip into a few of these things)

What?

Hmmm, let me go back on that.

Had another look. Am I correct in saying:

Power Grid is best suited to concentrations of pop or production (megacities, Forges)
Substations and associated links: also megacities or forges but for the ones with larger pops that spread out a bit.
Microstacks: Settler factions.

Transport systems to be mostly megacities, with the transport grid appearing to make PlanetCities possible (Cool!). Although I'm not sure what the light transport grid does, is it just like a less efficient Mass transport system?

EDIT: I have to say the substations and stuff isn't clear to me who it suits best, it seems a good way to place enviro damage out of the region and import power so forge and megacities, but also it might be able to pump settler factions into having a local hub etc.

This is really interesting. I'm sure there's a formula which scales Light Aircraft bandwidth with Propulsion tech, but I'm curious whether it will make a Reprocessor worth it for me.

Foundry and Refinery both convert m to e; was one of them supposed to convert v to e?

Loving the option to build unshielded reactors. :p

This is really interesting. I'm sure there's a formula which scales Light Aircraft bandwidth with Propulsion tech, but I'm curious whether it will make a Reprocessor worth it for me.

Foundry and Refinery both convert m to e; was one of them supposed to convert v to e?

Loving the option to build unshielded reactors. :p

The refinery of course (look at the upkeeps). It explicitly says in the description that the LAL works better with higher propulsion tech.

Unshielded reactors is the biggest gift to space spread models I could justify :3.

Power Grid is best suited to concentrations of pop or production (megacities, Forges)

Yes, or where you're producing so much power the efficiency gain is worth it.

Substations and associated links: also megacities or forges but for the ones with larger pops that spread out a bit.

Depends, they just let you move power around, what you do with that can facilitate several different models.

Microstacks: Settler factions.

Duh

Transport systems to be mostly megacities, with the transport grid appearing to make PlanetCities possible (Cool!). Although I'm not sure what the light transport grid does, is it just like a less efficient Mass transport system?

No the LALs is a much cheaper but capacity capped transport system that you only have to build once per planet - i.e. good if you have lots of regions without much stuff in.

EDIT: I have to say the substations and stuff isn't clear to me who it suits best, it seems a good way to place enviro damage out of the region and import power so forge and megacities, but also it might be able to pump settler factions into having a local hub etc.

They're not meant to suit anyone best, they enable all sorts of play styles because I'm awesome like that. Settlers won't use them to make a hub but rather equilibrate power/send power somewhere without renewables.

OOC: Interesting. More comments later but one thing:

The Csser' ians already have a fusion reactor. Will I need to buy a new reactor shielding so Larsilla doesn't suffer? :(

EDIT: Lot of the new buildings seem to help with increasing e but not any for improving s. As a relatively e-rich state and s-poor state, will there be any s-enhancing buildings in addition to all of the e-enhancing ones?

OOC: Interesting. More comments later but one thing:

The Csser' ians already have a fusion reactor. Will I need to buy a new reactor shielding so Larsilla doesn't suffer? :(

EDIT: Lot of the new buildings seem to help with increasing e but not any for improving s. As a relatively e-rich state and s-poor state, will there be any s-enhancing buildings in addition to all of the e-enhancing ones?

Oh yeah coz science is totally something you can build :rollseyes:

Top Bottom