Take the Fun out of Gameing.

If you want an online adventure game, go find a good MUD to play. They're usually free, and you use your imagination more!

The last game I bought was Oblivion about a year ago and have been playing that

But recently I've been playing games like rogue and dwarf fortress, though I do like DDO (but it's free if you want so...)

I don't find his "profit at all costs" attitude surprising or even particularly disturbing--that's just the way business people are--but his not-at-all veiled contempt for his employees is rather shocking.

The almighty research of profit at all cost.

And people wonder why some pirate without remorse.

In fact, I would say that piracy is the last protection of the consumer, by putting pressure on editors to not push consumers too far.
I dread the day piracy will be completely over ; you can be sure to see a drop of quality and a rise in price at the same time.

Uhh, I don't get this point that the article or everyone else has.

The CEO wants to put out games that have high potential to make money - which means they want to put out the best product they can. Modern Warefare was awesome and I cannot wait for Modern Warfare 2 - whats the problem with them focusing on this game?

And in terms of WOW - the game constantly has additonal content added to it. It's a continuing development. So, if they want to come out with a game that they work hard on and constantly update it, whats the harm in charging for it?

Sounds like this guy is just complaining that he can't get a blockbuster, in depth game with amazing graphics for $20 bucks.

Too damn bad.

I would much rather pay high money for a great game that will be continuly developed instead of pay a moderate price for a crap product - IE Microsoft flight simultar - I mean seriously, how the hell can you make a product that works so poorly on windows? It's your own damn product.

Guiltless pirating here we come.

yup...

Perhaps you heard of Spore being pirated more than people bought it? Mostly from the anti-consumer DRM. Anti-consumer prices will have the same effect.

The CEO wants to put out games that have high potential to make money - which means they want to put out the best product they can.

That does not follow. Popular =/= good. Good marketing =/= good game. It is more likely to mean they want to play to the lowest common denominator instead of creating a work of art like free mods such as FfH.

Frankly, I'm not quite sure most games meet the constitutional requirements to receive any copyright protections. This is the only thing giving the government authority to stop pirating. I'm now sure how useful some of these games are. It could be read as only securing the rights of the actual programmers, not the company backing the games. I tend to think that it is unjust for contracts to require inventors and authors to sign over exclusive rights to their employers. It is also ridiculous that copyright and patent durations have been steadily increasing even as products have been earning money faster.

US Constitution said:
...To promote the Progress of Science and useful Arts, by securing for limited Times to Authors and Inventors the exclusive Right to their respective Writings and Discoveries;

Note: I've never cared enough to try pirate anything, and haven't cared enough to buy any pirateable products in years either.

Uhh, I don't get this point that the article or everyone else has.

The CEO wants to put out games that have high potential to make money - which means they want to put out the best product they can.
You are very naive if you believe that quality = high potential to make money.

If this is how parents make kids happy, then they are lousy parents.

I do have an xbox 360 in the house, but it serves as our DVD player for movies and such as well. My solution to the kid thing is to give my kids an allowance for doing chores and such. What they want to buy with their cash is their business.

Oh please, don't tell me that you'd never buy your kid the new Call of Duty game for Christmas if you know that he'd really like it (and you approve of the content).

One of MobBoss' daughters has had a sex-change??? When was this??? ;)

That does not follow. Popular =/= good. Good marketing =/= good game. It is more likely to mean they want to play to the lowest common denominator instead of creating a work of art like free mods such as FfH.

OK, so then you are upset that you cant get a good game for nothing?

You are very naive if you believe that quality = high potential to make money.

...?....

If I read a review of a game or see gameplay footage and it's not good - I don't buy it.

If I read a review of a game or see gameplay footage and it looks amazing - I buy it.

Looks just like everyone is complaining that they will have to pay money for a quality product because *gasp* a company wants to make money off their product.

...?....

If I read a review of a game or see gameplay footage and it's not good - I don't buy it.

If I read a review of a game or see gameplay footage and it looks amazing - I buy it.
Well, first, not everyone do that, many buying only because of a brand name, because they "heard about it on the TV" or because the cover looks nice.

Second, it's not because a review said that it's good or a gameplay footage looks nice that it's a good game.

Third, the mass-market public has usually awful tastes.

There is a correlation between quality and sales, but it's much, much lower than it would need to be for your idea of "good quality = good sales" to work.
Looks just like everyone is complaining that they will have to pay money for a quality product because *gasp* a company wants to make money off their product.
Actually, in the artistic domain, a company which only wants to "make money" usually churns piles of s... The good games are more often than not produced by people who actually like what they do.

You can be sure that once people starts to look more at their sales than they care about what they produce, the next games are most probably going to be mass-market crap, which will probably sell well but still be crap - see the first and third reasons above.

The almighty research of profit at all cost.

And people wonder why some pirate without remorse.

In fact, I would say that piracy is the last protection of the consumer, by putting pressure on editors to not push consumers too far.
I dread the day piracy will be completely over ; you can be sure to see a drop of quality and a rise in price at the same time.

Oh please. Every time there is a new game someone comes up with some excuse to pirate it in the pursuit of some fake crusade for fairness or some other made up silliness. In reality people just want to pirate it because they're cheap. For example, armchair-freedom-fighting-dweebs everywhere are now proclaiming they will pirate Modern Warfare 2 because it isn't allowing dedicated servers. OH NO!

They could release the most perfect, awesome, flawless game ever created and someone somewhere will come up with some stupid "outrage" as an excuse to pirate the game just to "show those evil game developers" that people won't stand for their latest "atrocity," such as requiring online registration to play.

Oh please. Every time there is a new game someone comes up with some excuse to pirate it in the pursuit of some fake crusade for fairness or some other made up silliness. In reality people just want to pirate it because they're cheap. For example, armchair-freedom-fighting-dweebs everywhere are now proclaiming they will pirate Modern Warfare 2 because it isn't allowing dedicated servers. OH NO!

They could release the most perfect, awesome, flawless game ever created and someone somewhere will come up with some stupid "outrage" as an excuse to pirate the game just to "show those evil game developers" that people won't stand for their latest "atrocity," such as requiring online registration to play.

Dedicated servers are the only thing that makes MW2 worth buying for on the PC. Remove that and you have an extremely overpriced singleplayer.

You're right when you say that most people pirate out of convenience. But the fact that they do it out of convenience means that, for the most part, people not "in the know" (= most people) do buy games when it's less of a hassle.

So, my point was more that piracy act as a threat that pressure editor to not push their customers too far.
When things become really excessive, people no longer buy if they have the option of pirating, because then pirating becomes less of hassle than buying - the opposite of the "normal" situation.

So the threat of piracy forces editors to keep their greed relatively in check.

Dedicated servers are the only thing that makes MW2 worth buying for on the PC. Remove that and you have an extremely overpriced singleplayer.

I agree dedicated servers are superior. But you can still play multiplayer, just severely crippled to console level. And anyway the greater point was that's no excuse to pirate the game, but people say it is when really they just don't want to pay for it.

You're right when you say that most people pirate out of convenience. But the fact that they do it out of convenience means that, for the most part, people not "in the know" (= most people) do buy games when it's less of a hassle.

So, my point was more that piracy act as a threat that pressure editor to not push their customers too far.
When things become really excessive, people no longer buy if they have the option of pirating, because then pirating becomes less of hassle than buying - the opposite of the "normal" situation.

So the threat of piracy forces editors to keep their greed relatively in check.

I think it's the opposite. Piracy, or the threat of piracy, leads developers to increasingly do annoying things like install rootkits or remove dedicated servers or include overly intrusive copy protection that makes them look more greedy and in turn makes more people think they're more justified in pirating. Or it just leads them to developing games for consoles only.

Top Bottom