Term 1 - Nominations for Minister of Science

Let me try and ask his question another way -

What opening 3-4 techs would you consider a priority for any civ to have, whether they be the initial techs or researched?

-- Ravensfire

I would like to self-nominate:
Heres why:
I have CIV 4.
I have a good understanding of the tech tree.
If i was a CIV that started with no teach tree on a normal continetes/pangea map,
I would go:
(excuse any misspellings)
Agriculture: We need to grow our city quickly, and not have our workers standing by twidling their thumbs.
Msticism next, for culture, and to get closer to founding a realigion.
Weather we went for Mining, Meditaion or polytheism would depend on certain factors:
Buddism is a one shot deal; if we miss, then someone else will probaly found hinduism and judism. I would go for Mediation if we had a likely lead. Polytheism if we were doing okay, cause if we miss then we still have a decent shot at judism.
Mining would be useful for getting masonry and bronze working. Masonry would get us the pryrimids. Bronze working gets us salvery, along with other things, and access to iron working.

TO SUM IT UP:
Much of it would depend on the will of the president. Argiculture is the most important starting tech. To go for realgion, or pryimids would depend on what the president wished, the land, and if barbarians were nerby.

ravensfire said:
What opening 3-4 techs would you consider a priority for any civ to have, whether they be the initial techs or researched?

There is only one: the Wheel, because Road is always needed right from the start.

Every other starting tech's necessarity depends on the situation:

- Fishing would be a priority if and only if our Capital is coastal (no matter if there is Fish/Cram/Crab near it or not)
- Agriculture would be a priority if and only if our Capital is near a resource that requires Farm or Pasture (which is very likely, but not garanteed)
- Hunting would be a priority if our Capital is near a resource that requires Camp or if building Scout/Spearman/Archer is important for us (which is mostly not a scientific, but a rather military decision)
- Mysticism would be a priority if and only if we are spiritual (in which case we would be already coming with it, and Meditation/Polytheism would be the actual priorities)
- Mining would be a priority if our Capital is near a resource that requires Mine or Quarry, or if we adopt an opening-stage chop-rush policy for our Workers (it's my personal style, but it's generally disputed and therefore subject to furhter discussion).

I'd disagree about The Wheel, Blkbird. Road isn't needed from the start, although it is a valuable early tech. You usually don't need to hook up resources or cities until your city hits the 4-5 pop mark. Before then, actually developing the resources is more important.

I'd recommend a tech-per-resource approach:
-We need either Agriculture or Animal Husbandry, depending on which food resource we have.
-We need Mining to produce hammer-heavy tiles to speed up early production.
-We need either Fishing (lakes) or Pottery (cottages) to generate commerce.

I'd research them in the order we can use resources, with food being the higher priority. Once we can build our capital into a well-balanced location, I'd worry about the higher techs.

Mike Lemmer said:
I'd recommend a tech-per-resource approach:
-We need either Agriculture or Animal Husbandry, depending on which food resource we have.
-We need Mining to produce hammer-heavy tiles to speed up early production.
-We need either Fishing (lakes) or Pottery (cottages) to generate commerce.
Roads dont provide any bouns for the terrian, and workers move 2 sqares, so roads are not important as they were for the town.
Pottery is important too, cottages grow to be very useful over time.

How would you value pottery? In Civ4, a high population is really powerful, especially with some of the civics out there.

Roads do not only connect Resources, they connect cities as well. Unless we want to stick to one single city for a long time, we'll be needing Road very soon. Considering that Pottery also requires the Wheel, it definitely is a must-have tech.

Question for candidates:

How does our civ's starting techs affect the way you'd make decisions about the first 3-4 techs we research? Are you aware of any strategies which follow naturally from certain kinds of starts?

DaveShack said:
How does our civ's starting techs affect the way you'd make decisions about the first 3-4 techs we research? Are you aware of any strategies which follow naturally from certain kinds of starts?

There are too many possible combinations of starting techs. I don't have any ready-to-go plan for each one of them, I'll make my decision *after* it's certain which starting techs it will be. But the starting tech will definitely have a significant influence on the further progress of tech development.

How would you do that?

-- Ravensfire

Another question for candidates:

How would you go about making decisions? This question is aimed mostly at the process you would follow, not on the technical details of what data is needed for the decision.

i have a question:

when aiming for techs, which catergory do you think you will be aiming for the most, military, economic, religious etc.

Blkbird said:
There is only one: the Wheel, because Road is always needed right from the start.

Every other starting tech's necessarity depends on the situation:

- Fishing would be a priority if and only if our Capital is coastal (no matter if there is Fish/Cram/Crab near it or not)
- Agriculture would be a priority if and only if our Capital is near a resource that requires Farm or Pasture (which is very likely, but not garanteed)
- Hunting would be a priority if our Capital is near a resource that requires Camp or if building Scout/Spearman/Archer is important for us (which is mostly not a scientific, but a rather military decision)
- Mysticism would be a priority if and only if we are spiritual (in which case we would be already coming with it, and Meditation/Polytheism would be the actual priorities)
- Mining would be a priority if our Capital is near a resource that requires Mine or Quarry, or if we adopt an opening-stage chop-rush policy for our Workers (it's my personal style, but it's generally disputed and therefore subject to furhter discussion).

so would the wheel not have been the answer to my question to begin with??? though is anyone other than bilkbird getting involved in the discussion?

Blkbird said:
What is "that"?

Sorry, I'm not explaining myself too well.

I'm trying to figure out your personal preferences, and you will use those to shape the research path we use. I'd also like to know how you plan to determine that research path, and how you will both seek input from citizens, and strive to guide that discussion.

No offense, but a great many of your answers really haven't helped. You are correct in that it's difficult to speak in detail when you don't know the starting point, but some general points can be made. I haven't gotten much useful information about how you will approach this office.

-- Ravensfire

ravensfire said:
No offense, but a great many of your answers really haven't helped. You are correct in that it's difficult to speak in detail when you don't know the starting point, but some general points can be made.

You're right, and it's exactly what I am trying to say: I don't have many "general points" to start with. So far I am more familiar with worker techs than with religous techs, but that will only have a very limited influence on my decisions. My strength as I see it lies in my openness and flexibility. I think having too much of a fixed idea (or "general points") before the civ is chosen is a sign of bias and therefore dangerous.

As of handling inputs from citizens, I am very confident that I belong to the most responsive players here. It is my motto (see my record in the Citizen Registry) to act responsively and explain every action, especially when it's challenged. Besides, am I not the only one answering questions in this thread?

Again and again I've referred to the Warmup Demogame, where I have participated intensively in discussions about Research (among others). If you guys really want to know my preferences, you really should take a look there. I have the impression that some of the questions asked here are already answered by reading my posts there. But I guess it's just too much trouble for most of you...

DaveShack said:
Question for candidates:

I would need more time to look this up, but if we had mysicism, for example, i would go for it, so we can found a reilgion. If our civ was missing techs for terrian improvment, that would be a priority too.

RoboPig said:
i have a question:

when aiming for techs, which catergory do you think you will be aiming for the most, military, economic, religious etc.
I would aim for improvement Techs and religious techs in the beginning, then move to military techs, and then go more econmic, but that depends on the situation.

Top Bottom