Test how PC you are (Mongol Races)

What should they put on their heads?

• The 800 year old Mongol Sunhat

Votes: 29 58.0%
  • The 50 year old UNICEF Helmet

Votes: 13 26.0%
  • Ram, you forgot to mention the reefers in that description of your coffee, jazz & newspaper session

Votes: 8 16.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Second oldest Olympics in the world? BS just because the modern Olympics have the same name as the Greek events doesn't make them related at all.

I'm more of a Mongol Sunhat kind of guy, in so many different ways.

Anyway, while I wouldn't mind UNICEF offering them helmets to wear, I can't think of any way of requiring helmet use that wouldn't annoy the Mongols on one level or another.

Rambuchan said:
Well I have made the distinction between two situations, Rwanda clearly falls into one:

a) Open conflict, or verging on. (eg. UN involvement to halt genocide)
b) Minor cultural matters. (eg. healthy & saftey brings an end to, or significantly alters, a harmless tradition)

In favour of intervention in the first, oppose it in the second. The West should have re-involved itself in Rwanda.

Actually, having read back on the Divide and Rule article, it strikes me that there is a mid-point, in which b) can lead to a).

I think we probably basically agree, though I'm not convinced that real life always falls as neatly and clearly into one of your two categories as you might be hoping. (Actually, the terminology "minor cultural matters" kind of ends up forcing us to agree with the non-intervention option. Most anti-hunt people wouldn't, however, agree that fox hunting is a minor cultural matter.)

I don't think there should be any forcing of them to wear helmets. Think of it this way:
-5% of all those who ride fall (number from article)
-1% of all those who ride fall and hurt themselves in a serious manner (number pulled out of thin air)
-0.05% of all those who ride fall hurt their head (as already stated, most riding accidents damage the limbs and back, not the head)
That is far too few to bother getting involved in, considering Mongolia does not have a very big population and all.

To be honest, I get the feeling most people are so full of themselves they feel the need to force others to do things their way despite the fact it is often unneccessary and rude.

Lambert Simnel said:
Hah. Found the answer to this one:

Robot camel racing

:)
:eek: That is remarkable!

But again - no more jockey experience, no more immersion into a cultural tradition, the robots get that pleasure :rolleyes:

Top Bottom