Test pitboss

Actually the Manhattan Project hasn't been finished yet - due to anarchy from a civic switch last turn, from what I can tell. So nothing "big" is happening this turn. We could still pause if you want I guess, although you still have almost 24 hours.

Two hours left on the clock, so logging in to pause for Irgy as he requested. Hope no-one's stuck in a diplo screen... if so just post here and hopefully either me or someone else will be around to let you in. :)

The game's gone down. Hope you can bring it up again soon, Dave. Looks like there should be an autosave from dick76 you can use. (Not sure why he logged in on our half of the turn again? Anyway, it'll be undone in the reload.)

Ok, game's up again, and we're all done now. You guys are up. :)

Over to you again. :)

The Civstats site is screwing up at the moment, but the game itself is fine. You guys are up. :)

Good news on the Civstats front. Now we just need to wait for Dave to restart the uploader, and we'll be back in business. :)

Hey guys,

I fixed the MySQL error issue. One of the tables went corrupt starting when you guys noticed the issue, so I had to restore from a backup from that time. It doesn't appear that this should have any major impact on your games, other than a gap in the game log. I'm terribly sorry for the inconvenience.

Lord Parkin sent me an email about it days ago but unfortunately I was working at PAX East and so I didn't have any time or means to fix it then.

Let me know if you notice any more issues.

We're done, it's over to you guys.

Hmm, the game went down just after I launched the spaceship. I do seem to recall there's some bug with Pitboss that causes that (since they reworked the "travel time" thing after launch in BTS). I think it can be solved if you launch, immediately take a save, then the host reloads from that save.

In any event, the game needs to be brought up again, so I'll PM Dave. :)

You've launched already? Jesus.

Well, no-one's in any danger of taking your capital at this stage of the game, especially if that's all you actually need to protect. I gather Elkad is going to follow through with the ultimate in not-playing-to-win (not a criticism, we've been over that already, just a comment) by continuing to co-operate after launch? So I think we can probably just call the game won? Three weeks of pressing end turn (or not bothering to) to play out the last 10 turns seems unappealing to me.

That said I'm determined not to quit a game that other people would prefer me to keep playing. My apologies, in that regard, for missing last turn too. I was around, but busy with other things that were, I must confess, a little more interesting, and forgot that I had a turn to play. Ever since discovering that forts don't protect ships at all I've given up on ever getting our army across the water. I didn't mean to miss it completely though.

Congratulations to Lord Parkin then on a well deserved win and an excellently played game. Look forward to hearing people's thoughts on the game.

You've launched already? Jesus.
Yeah. Although funnily enough, v8mark was actually ahead in the number of parts completed until last turn. Even Chimera was competitive. :lol:

I completed the first part a while ago, then 6 last turn, and had the final 9 parts were completed this turn. I set it up that way just on the off-chance that anyone managed to get a Spy onto our continent, to limit espionage damage to the spaceship. That's also part of the reason I haven't been keeping any of the cities I've captured on any other continents, so Spies can't hit the parts from there. ;)

Well, no-one's in any danger of taking your capital at this stage of the game, especially if that's all you actually need to protect. I gather Elkad is going to follow through with the ultimate in not-playing-to-win (not a criticism, we've been over that already, just a comment) by continuing to co-operate after launch? So I think we can probably just call the game won? Three weeks of pressing end turn (or not bothering to) to play out the last 10 turns seems unappealing to me.
Well, you did complete the Manhattan Project this turn. That could provide a bit of interesting fun over the next few turns. ;) Sure, it might not change anything, but surely we can all agree nukes are cool to play around with. They should actually be of more use to you guys than us (why else did you guys build the project while we didn't bother?). I haven't played around with them before in multiplayer, so it'd be nice to get the chance - even if briefly - in this game.

That said I'm determined not to quit a game that other people would prefer me to keep playing. My apologies, in that regard, for missing last turn too. I was around, but busy with other things that were, I must confess, a little more interesting, and forgot that I had a turn to play. Ever since discovering that forts don't protect ships at all I've given up on ever getting our army across the water. I didn't mean to miss it completely though.
No worries. I wasn't actually sure whether we could even stop your ships until I actually tried the fort-destroying tactic in practice and saw how effective it was.

Congratulations to Lord Parkin then on a well deserved win and an excellently played game. Look forward to hearing people's thoughts on the game.
Well, I hope we don't finish before we get the chance to play with nukes a bit. :)

One question that I can ask you guys now though - what was up with your Manhattan Project plan? I mean, obviously there was some miscommunication somewhere, but it seemed seriously messed up. First Irgy started building it, then kind of stopped for a while as 2metra took it over and got it to within 1 turn of completion. Then he seemed to balk at the idea of finishing it just as it would have been most effective (slowing down the spaceship), and it was about 5-10 turns later that Irgy finally got around to finishing it. So in the end you spent almost 3000 hammers on the project between you, and completed it at the least effective time. What was the reasoning there? Complete mish-mash or what? ;)

:) First of all, congrats to Lord Parkin for the well deserved win - he played the game from what I can say excellent in any aspect - build-up, tactic, strategic, timing, diplomacy, etc, etc.

Second thing I can say it seems that 2 coordinated and determined players can easily outplay and defeat by military 6 not-so-well communicating and coordinating otherwise not-so-bad each on his own players without a hope.

Third, we lost the game in the moment we all lost our fleets - first Irgy's and BCLG's ( just to chilly a bit the congratulation speech will mention once again the suspicions about the fairness of the way it was achieved, LP) and then mine (yes, it was lame - I did scanned the surrounding 7 tiles from my port, but cant prove anything)

And last, but not least, Irgy was building the MP long before me, then I lost my fleet and some fights with Elkad, then I saw what masses of army you guys have and decided to go for nukes to leverage your advantage a bit at least at tactical level. I was able to finish it faster than Irgy from that point and started to build it, and then we had some idea of tricking you to not use huge amount of hammers carried over from another projects in to immediate IMDBs. I though this warning to have some reason by the pedantic way you seems to play your turns, so I delayed it once again, then we stop even communicating with Irgy, who was the last active player of our alliance and somewhat our captain (ai-ai captain :) ). Then I saw parts of spaceships being built and I knew the game is over by a surprising way - I always though the game will be a bloody massacre to the end and I was preparing for this and to sell my life costly.

Well, I am not disappointed from the end of this game and as I just recently finished a game, where we dropped quite a few nukes (our alliance crushed the opposition, but again a space ship was launched, by a player who happened in the end to have NAPs with all the others, so he won by good diplomacy; kudos for him building ALL the necessary parts in ONE turn btw) and I had enough of nuclear wastelands, I vote we just to call it a win for LP.

Hats down, once again.

:) First of all, congrats to Lord Parkin for the well deserved win - he played the game from what I can say excellent in any aspect - build-up, tactic, strategic, timing, diplomacy, etc, etc.
Thanks. I'd still prefer to play on, but I guess this means you're no longer interested?

Second thing I can say it seems that 2 coordinated and determined players can easily outplay and defeat by military 6 not-so-well communicating and coordinating otherwise not-so-bad each on his own players without a hope.
I still think with a bit more planning and coordination you guys would have seriously screwed us over. I mean, come on, you had something like 40,000 gold stockpiled between you - that could have bought you well over two dozen nukes (not even counting manual builds in high-production cities) before we could have ever built SDI. Dropping 30-40+ nukes on us a turn or two after an early Manhattan completion would have seriously screwed us. If you'd thought ahead you could have had Ecology ready for the cleanup when we started counter-dropping a much smaller number of nukes on you too. I really don't understand why most of you gave up hope before this stage; we were seriously worried, nukes were the huge looming threat you had over us, and then you seemingly just gave up and let it slide when your moment of glory was potentially just on the horizon.

I also never understood why you guys mostly stopped putting espionage into me from 50+ turns before the end of the game. Sure, I was generating a decent amount, but if I'd had to spread it evenly over all of you, there's no way I would have been able to counter all of your points, and I would have lost visibility in a lot of places. That would have made my military planning a whole lot harder (and would have disabled some of my ability to warn and direct Elkad to impending threats too).

Third, we lost the game in the moment we all lost our fleets - first Irgy's and BCLG's
For the record, BCLG never lost any ships at all to me. His fleet of 30+ boats (most Transports) is still sitting around to this date in his territory.

( just to chilly a bit the congratulation speech will mention once again the suspicions about the fairness of the way it was achieved, LP)
Let's get one thing very clear. The issue was only regarding the blockading of cities, not unit combat. I never attacked any units that were out of range.

and then mine (yes, it was lame - I did scanned the surrounding 7 tiles from my port, but cant prove anything)
Dude, that's just low. Clearly you didn't "scan" completely enough. By this point of the game we were playing in separate parts of the timer, and you could see through Civstats that no-one from our side ever broke that.

My ships were resting 8 tiles east and 6 south of your city with the Destroyer stack, for your information. (Yes, you can move 7 tiles next to the city in question and then unload units from a Transport in the same turn.)

And for the record, I actually kept hoping every turn beforehand that you'd move that Destroyer stack OUT of the city. That would have given my Missile Cruisers tonnes of experience, and probably another Great General for the empire. You were actually better off the way it played out, if your alternative was to try to make a stand with the Destroyers. I'd carefully planned it so I had 1-2 more MC's than you had Destroyers there, so there was no way you were keeping even a single unit if it came to a fight.

That was another mistake, actually - you continued to build Destroyers (on auto-build, from what I could see) in several cities long after Battleships were available. Not quite sure why.

It also seemed at times that your Workers were on automate, for instance when I caught half a dozen trying to road the same exposed coastal forest tile one turn. If that's the case, it's probably another thing that could have been improved (there were lots of forests and jungles I would have chopped earlier if I were you).

And last, but not least, Irgy was building the MP long before me, then I lost my fleet and some fights with Elkad, then I saw what masses of army you guys have and decided to go for nukes to leverage your advantage a bit at least at tactical level. I was able to finish it faster than Irgy from that point and started to build it, and then we had some idea of tricking you to not use huge amount of hammers carried over from another projects in to immediate IMDBs. I though this warning to have some reason by the pedantic way you seems to play your turns, so I delayed it once again, then we stop even communicating with Irgy, who was the last active player of our alliance and somewhat our captain (ai-ai captain :) ).
This was a reasonably perceptive move, I guess, although I think you didn't realise quite the extent of our pedanticness. ;) Yes, we'd been watching and had prepared overflow in most cities on the turn we first expected you to get the Manhattan Project. But then, when we saw you were delaying it, we still kept up the overflow in our cities from turn to turn - building the cheapest units that wouldn't result in hammer wastage (quite a lot of missiles, which were needed at this time anyway, but also more expensive units). So regardless of when you completed it, we would have had overflow prepared. You could have more than countered this by having overflow prepared yourselves, though - especially since you also had the advantage of that 40,000+ gold treasury between you. I still maintain that if you'd known all the facts, you really should have built it on the first turn possible.

Then I saw parts of spaceships being built and I knew the game is over by a surprising way - I always though the game will be a bloody massacre to the end and I was preparing for this and to sell my life costly.
So why not finish Manhattan and do the most damage possible before the end? It still doesn't make sense to me why you let it sit for so long.

Well, I am not disappointed from the end of this game and as I just recently finished a game, where we dropped quite a few nukes (our alliance crushed the opposition, but again a space ship was launched, by a player who happened in the end to have NAPs with all the others, so he won by good diplomacy; kudos for him building ALL the necessary parts in ONE turn btw)
Well, good on him. I would have built all the parts in one turn if I thought it necessary to avoid espionage sabotage, but I was almost positive that no-one would have a Spy on our continent after this many turns of patrolling the waters. Anyway, no-one had even close to enough espionage to sabotage parts anyway, and it was impossible to both generate and use thousands in one turn. So I went with the more efficient route of building the parts in two sets, which allowed me in the meantime to build more ships and troops that devastated your coastline (amongst others), further enhancing the defence of our continent. Also, for the record, I believe building in two sets got the Spaceship in the quickest possible time (which building parts in 16 cities wouldn't have done).

I'm glad you're not disappointed, but I am a little. We didn't play in this other game of yours, you did. We're talking about this game here.

and I had enough of nuclear wastelands, I vote we just to call it a win for LP.
Well that's a shame, I haven't had that experience and was looking forward to playing around for at least a couple of turns with nukes for the first time in multiplayer. But if that's how you feel, I guess I can't convince you to stay...

Oh, dont take me wrong - I am OK with continuing, but I have the feeling I am the only one who will be ok with continuing and also who plays regular his turns for some time. This brought me to my losing of hope, not the chances IF we were playing it the right way.

You are indeed right for the most of the things you said and most of those things I was aware of. For example the espionage thing - we all to start spend espionage and outespionage you I - wrote about this in our team private forum, but no one took my idea. I forewarned all to send army so we can push Elkad from our continent, but I got just like 10 units, who were not enough obviously, etc, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2metraninja View Post
Then I saw parts of spaceships being built and I knew the game is over by a surprising way - I always though the game will be a bloody massacre to the end and I was preparing for this and to sell my life costly.
So why not finish Manhattan and do the most damage possible before the end? It still doesn't make sense to me why you let it sit for so long.

I was waiting to collect some cash for buying nukes and to build the Ironworks - in that particular city I think was able to build a tactical nuke in a single turn.

And so on and so on... Our team just screwed it by throwing the hope and regular communicating and turn playing. I enjoyed the game, although I joined quite late to make any difference. For the time of my reign I increased two and a half my economy, doubled my population and was long time second in score. Also this game was highly educative to me.

Also, LP, dont forget you are playing humans in MP - thats the most beautiful part. You never know what will affect them and how. Pure numbers dont mean anything.

Did not meant to diminish your victory with any of those posts, just some after-party analysis of the game :)

I no longer have the view that the sinking of the first Indian fleet was illegitimate, just particularly unfortunate.

At the end of the day, this is a pitboss on a timer, so we might as well play it through to the end even if no-one other than Lord Parkin actually even logs in these last 10 turns ;) I'll still show up to give the Incans a good reason to sod-off from this planet and into space I'm sure.

Maybe we can shorten the timer though to hurry it up a bit?

Top Bottom