TETurkhan Test of Time (Map & Mod)

IF YOU HAVE PROBLEMS WITH THE DOWNLOADED INSTALLVERSION *.exe Don't doubleklick to start extraction, only press right MOUSEBUTTON and say extract here and copy all extracted things to the ../CIVPTW/SCENARIOS/ Folder. You should now have also a TETURKHAN Folder inside of the SCENARIOS of PTW ...
This should solve the Problem with the selfextractable File

I have some further feedback for you TET on my ongoing game as Cambodia, the first installment is back on page 18 of this thread I think... It sure is FUN!! but wow does it eat up time! I think you should add a note somewhere on your intro thread if you are playing regicide...every time a civ dies it is almost like five minutes or so and some people will think they are locked.
I have gotten to just past 100 AD and am researching gunpowder?? I think you wanted to know if the research is going too fast/too slow so I thought I would mention it. I am leading all the AI in research though so maybe that is why it seems so hard.
Have an issue or two I would like to bring to your attention about resources. First, I think the Bhuddist relics need a bit of moving around, the way they are placed now pretty much locks Cambodia,Korea,China and Mongolia out of the Fanatical Monk units. Specifically the placement of the gold resources is,umm,not optimal?? I am no expert but were there really that many Bhuddists over in Pakistan??! With the other two being in Tibet and Japan right next to their Capitals you can just about write off getting those. :( As you have them placed now it is easier for Turkistan to get Fanatical Monks then any of the Nations I mentioned earlier!! I thought about it and I think if you changed the blue one near Korea to gold and the gold one in Japan to blue that would make it better all around for all and still give Japan and Korea an edge there via the placement. The one in way out west India I would move either into NW Cambodia or into the border between India/Tibet/China/Cambodia. Making those changes would make the balance a lot better I feel and make it more reasonable for any of those nations to get the Monkies. As well as create two EVIL warzones! In my game so far I have taken out all of China and Korea and I am reduced to holding the 3 blue resources out of the others hands. ::cry:
Secondly, and I don't know if it is a real problem, I just got chivalry and I can build elephants?! I have the Chinese horse near Louyang (did I mention I thought that city was too powerful?) but I still only own the 1 Ivory I started with,your pedia entry say you would have to have TWO in the strategic box to build these. I notice Ivory does not show up in the strategic box but it IS a luxury...it can't do double duty?? You may want to take a look at that. I had a good chance at getting 2 if I went to war with India but have not had the nerve yet. I have been bribing them to attack other people instead of attacking me and as a result they now stretch from Camobida to Mecca....before Chivalry! :eek:
One last thing....Louyang is maybe double the power of any other city I own, OK maybe 3X....but it is the near monopoly on silk China gets that is the trouble. If I counted all the gold from trading I get it would amount to another multiple. I am sure the only reason India has not squelched me is the Free!! silk I have been throwing their way.:rolleyes:
Once again, a superb effort! I can't wait to play some wimp nation like England and just survive! Thank you!!

Sasebo,Queen of smilies ;) :crazyeye: :rolleyes: :p :lol:

I am appreciative of the fact that so many of you have taken time out of your schedules to send me emails, posts messages here on ways to improve the mod. As for version 2.0 - I operate my own business and unfortunately this is one of the busiest times of the year.

However, I thought I take sometime out give an update on changes that will come with the new version.

• Polish Mod has been completely revamped: Civ Traits, Unit and Leader Head animation etc.
• The mod works so much faster now. This was the single largest problem and I believe I have finally gotten around it.
• The City Version has gone through the most changes and has taken on much more historical feel. My primary goal with this mod (city version) was to recreate history, and to that end I think version 2.0 will be one of the most acurrate available of any mods. Now if I could only edit diplomacy/relations and have vendetta options it would be perfect.
• The map & mod version is much more dynamic than the city version – in the sense of the possibilities. Where the historical city version replays history, the Map & Mod version is game of the unknown, especially when randomizing resources.

That’s all the time I have now. Once again thanks for all your input!

TETurkhan
PS. Expect version 2.0 around the 2nd week of January.

This is to TeTurken. Could you help me add(or transfer) the text that you have for your civilizations(Incas,Hungary,Indonesia,Tibet).I have made my own scenario using your civs,and based on the DYP scenario(wonders,Improvements,techs,ect).Every time i run the game,I test out those new civs i added,with your info,and things like "#FIRST MEETING" or something.I know that this is from the script file.I dont understand how to read it,or even edit it.(I have dled the Dip Editor,but i get an error 76,so i am stuck there)If you could explain what dialogue was added for the extra civilizations is,and where i can find it,it would be appreciated.Also,if there is an order that needs to be followed in the script file(in regards to placement) that would be great.Thank you for your time
A confused ,self-taught civ editor.

NEVER mind,I just got the Diplomacy Editor by pesoloco,and i have answered,(or he answered) my own question.Thanks anyway:nuke:

:goodjob: this is the best! Can't wait for version 2 :D

I'd like to know if there are any strategy threads for TETurkan's Mod other than this one. Maybe a thread that acted as the current Strategy and Tips forum does.

If not, I may start one, to encourage sharing of techniques unique to this mod.

Thoughts? Pointers to an existing thread?

Very interesting mod. The world map was a bit to big for my computer to handle fast enough between turns thou. Anyway, I did start up a game with a random map and these rules.

Mmmm, I think there could be more units added and some rule changes.. :)

I'm not all into that futuristic stuff, so those Robotman units (althou very nice) is not for me, as far as the airwolf, i'd rather see an Apache gunship or Mi-24 or something like that :)
How about a movable SAM unit? would work same way like that radar artillery but only versus aircraft or even a smaller version like the anti-tank unit (love that one) with a handheld SAM for those tiles with no roads and plenty of mountains and forrest :)
Aircover is difficult if you are on the move offensivly, unless you have a carrier along the shore to give you airsuperiority. Speaking of carriers..why can it not allow a helicopter onboard to be loaded.. or is that a problem with allowing "container" units to be loaded into each other? Also the A.I is sadly lacking in intelligence when it comes to bombing.. he always goes for strategic resources or roads etc, but I don't think ever I've seen it bomb my own units.. so in essence my aircraft/artillerty just wreck havock on his units killing them by the stack while he never touches mine.. a bit boring.. I like pretty much everything else, the power when you bring a stealth bomber on your enemy with a reach all across to map almost. WOW, gives you a rush... same with the aircraft carrier, load up 80 planes or so and just dominate a sector in the sea. Still have not figures out how a Privateer can see a "diesel" sub and engage it in the middle of the ocean... i would imagine that sub is 100 feet underneath the surface :) Oh.. an why not allow cruise missles on ships.. or some ships, we could even have a missile ship (Ticonderoga (spelling..)) with 80 or so cruise missiles acting as real world "harpoons" and then we could have cruisemissiles that only works against incoming missiles to help with that. You would probably see more modern naval battles where they shoot missiles at each other and missiles take out missiles before impact. How about an aircrafy loaded up with 2-3 missiles designed to be released from a distance like the badger (russian aircraft in the 80'ies) to engage navy units or land for that matter.. then we could have a patriot system on land to help a little with a cruise missiles defense on land :) ofcourse when a unit carrying missiles or anti-missile missiles runs out you would have to restock.. and go back to port/airbase and restock. I love the fact heavy armorred units can not go drive through forrest and mountains/hills if there is no road, that is awesome, which allowes "less powerful" units a role in the game when the tank is invented etc.. good deal on that one. What else...Oh.. you could let nuclear subs allow to load up with conventional missiles as well, nothing cool like beeing 7 tiles away from enemy coast and just lobb missiles away at his stuff without him knowing what the hell is happening or even better sneak up on a carrier group and wreck a little havoc, which put the anti-missile ships into action with there own counter missiles.. haha.... oh well. I still have not figured out why AI keep around obsolete units.. i mean he can be capable of making modern tanks but still run around with 300 guerillas.. or he can attack on an island with 10 tanks and does not realize the city is surrounded with trees with no roads thorugh and then he is stuck while my artillery chews him up. One more final thing which has always bugged me, might be inherent with the game itself but there seems to be a lack of a rock-sissor-papper rule with naval ships.. i mean a battle ship attacking or fighting a nuclear sub is a no brainer, the battle ship only has its guns and could not even touch a sub, while an aegis/destroyer would be able to engage under water units. we could even have a ship that would allow 1-2 helicopters aboard only used to hunt and kill subs. sub vs battleship=sub wins, battle ship versus destroyer=battleship wins, destroyer versus sub=even chance versus sub maybe and then you have aegis which will destroy the sub, ofcourse a little random effect that still anyone can have a slight chance killing an "offhand" victim. Finally I LOVE the high cost for naval ships etc, it gives the effect that you really have to be careful with your units (i wish AI would think the same) and plan ahead before sending off 10 of your hard earned destroyers in a coast bombardment mission... which a player would destroy very fast, but the AI does not bother with bombing units.. so who cares.. anyway, the fact that you can KILL units with artillery, missiles, airplanes etc is SUPERB! All in all, I love this mod, if v2.0 does not come with my ideas.. fine, just my ideas, I can always tweak it to my own needs. (btw, iv'e got the stupid airwolf song in my head now.. and thats a good thing!) heh. laters.

Can someone help me, I totally botched updating the Mod
so I deleted everything, oops. Is there a way to get the basic Teturkan scenario without uninstalling and reinstalling ?

lol, he missed out wales!

You wouldn't happen to have an unmoded version of your map? no offense but I'm quite frankly content with the original set of rules, units, resources etc.

If you do so please post a link to it.

Regards,
Fredrik

Originally posted by heliobagalus
You wouldn't happen to have an unmoded version of your map? no offense but I'm quite frankly content with the original set of rules, units, resources etc.

If you do so please post a link to it.

Regards,
Fredrik
That should be easy.

- Open the TETurkhan Test of Time (World Map).BIX file in the PTW editor (this is in the Scenarios folder under the PTW folder)
- Click Scenario (menu item), untick 'Custom Rules' option
- Select 'Scenario Properties' from the Scenario menu and change the Time Scale boxes back to the normal settings (you can get these from looking at civ3X.bix (in the PTW folder)
- Save.

Note that this will effect the whole mod. If you want to be able to restore the original then make sure you back it up.

You really should consider giving the mod a chance. It feels a whole lot more realistic and I really don't like vanilla rules at all any more...

Well that goes without saying, however, resources will be on the less side of scarce once you do it (i.e. restore default rules) since many of the resources used in the mod are confined to it. Correct me if i'm wrong but wheat, for example, has been replaced by some other resource and then recreated -so the effect of restoring the default rules will be that all wheat spots disappear and some other resource will be turned into wheat, right?

Regards,
Fredrik

Originally posted by heliobagalus
Well that goes without saying, however, resources will be on the less side of scarce once you do it (i.e. restore default rules) since many of the resources used in the mod are confined to it. Correct me if i'm wrong but wheat, for example, has been replaced by some other resource and then recreated -so the effect of restoring the default rules will be that all wheat spots disappear and some other resource will be turned into wheat, right?

Regards,
Fredrik
There is a 'Redistribute Natural Resources' option on the Map menu in the editor. Maybe this will generate the normal amount of resources once you have restored the default rules. It seems to, but I don't mod myself and so am not familiar with it.

Hi Mod-Master and creator of the Earth (Map) :goodjob:

Thank You for this formidable creation.
Normally I don't like to play any modded versions of Civ but your one is very well balanced and adds much fun to the game. The one I like the most is your idea to adjust the unit movement rates to the world size.
My Civ experience goes back to the time where civ 1 was released, in fact that was the reason why
I sold my Amiga ( Computer not my GF :queen: ) and bought a 386DX40, during this time I played many
versions of Civ and I can remember no map that looked so real.

I started the Version with only start points as Germany on Regent level ( the highest if you don't want to have a cheating AI ) all Civs on, all Rules off except: Conquest Victory, Civ-Specific Abilities, Culturally linked Start Loc and Allow Cultural Conversions.

The AI was no match until 200 BC I conquered Europe from Gibraltar to the Ural and Turkey. Now I'm moving to the Middle East and prepare my amphibious assault against England at the other front. :spank:

I can't say much about the rule changes because it is too early in my game but I have a few questions:
Have you tested the AI behaviour with Naval and Bombard Units?
Does the AI rally for the Relics or do you have to make them hate the Civ that owns this cities ( can this been done )?
I know, it's hard to decide where to place resources but I think Germany should have 'Krupp Stahl' ( Iron ) near the Rhein. Most of Germanys coal and Iron Industry is placed in this region IRL.
The Romans should be able to build Legions, I don't know if there is Iron in Italy but if you box them in on their peninsula they have no chance to get some.
Maybe moving one Iron source from the Apls to the Rhein and one to the Hills or Mountains in Italy could make it easier for the AI to start. The Human Player always grabs what he needs but the AI is too slow. :groucho:

There where a few errors in my game but maybe I'm doing something wrong.

Install Order:
1. Win XP :mutant: I think this should be the first. :grad:
2. Civ3
3. patched to v1.29f
4. PtW
5. patched to v1.14
6. deleted the ToT Folder and the ToT*.bix Files
7. extracted TETurkhan Test of Time v1.66 (Full Install) to the correct location manually
8. extracted the BIX Update v1.70
9. ensured that the files where replaced ( compared the Date/Time )
10. Clueless what I have done wrong. :suicide:

I noticed that:
1. Horsemen can not board Galleys.
2. I can't build chariot, catapults ( the plural version ) and siege crossbow, although the required techs
and the strategic resources are given.
3. Civilopedia entry for Knight has no text in it.

It would be nice to have a readme for the Units you Implemented and who can build them, as well as the special functions like the relics. At first I thought the real readme is missing in the Download and grabbed the update version too ( Another 17 Minutes because the server can't provide the DSL-Speed. :sleep: just kidding ) but the included readme is more of an install guide than a souce of knowledge. For example, the changes to the terrain, the new units, the new civ's and all those stuff. The last two evenings I spent reading through this thread, to find out what is implemented but haven't found the infos I was looking for.

I rated it 5, two times because I would give it a 10 to reflect your efforts to be open for new Ideas and willing to make changes when there are good reasons for.

I just downloaded the 89Mb file to redo the update, I'd like to think I'm computer savvy sometimes but I botched the install. Really appreciate it. Can't wait to give it a whirl!

:goodjob:

TE Turkan, I love the mod and enjoyed it so much before I left for the holidays that I didn't even have time to post a Reply and say how much I love it!!

I agree with Wild Thing's last post that a detailed Readme of all the units and mod changes, etc. would be GREAT to have. I've figured a lot out as I go, but the civolopedia isn't so comprehensive and doesn't organize things so well.

One question, can I use the MOD on a smaller (like 180x180) map of Earth (anyone's, like Marla's?)?

I look forward to v2.0 Happy New Year!!

Wild Thing, forgot to mention... I first played Civilization 1 on my Amiga 500 computer back in 1992, it was awesome! I never meet other [former] Amiga users, I miss it.

@iamliberal: there are a few of us around :)

Top Bottom