Thanxs firaxis for ruing a great game

there is basicly no way to stay peacefull with some leaders

This says it all right here. Your neighbors are a die roll. sometimes you get peaceful ones and sometimes super aggressive ones.

I opened the save. The first thing I checked was demographics and sure enough, you're last in military while first in tech. This combo is enough to get the AI's to DoW you. You only have 1 composite bow, 2 archers, 1 scout, 2 triremes and 2 warriors at turn 147.
(emphasis mine)

In that case I would say the game is ruined if someone didn't decide to DoW the OP at or soon after that point.

One of the lessons in civ is to balance military and social development. I've been there before and I like how the game calls me out on it. "I need more units, but that can wait until I build a university" then "well, I want that opera house now" then "crap, I need that wonder for my strategy" then the DoW comes. I was trying to have my cake and eat it too. I thought "those units aren't as essential as +x% whatever" and that was incorrect.

France is susceptible to this as the capital will optimally build all the wonders with 2 works or more. Therefore you really need to pick and choose what else you will build so you will have enough hammers\gold left for units.

It isn't playable if you make a expansion for peacefull builders you should put option in it diplomatic option that prevent you're neighbours from dowing you except certain leaders ghenghis like in civ 4

wasn't that the purpose of the expansion oh wait ?

Show mi one empire (cultural, economic or not!) from the history which had zero military and succedeed (and which is not lone island in the Pacific... well, these weren't Empires :p).

You basically made weak country, you lost it because it was weak and you would love to cheat, ekhm, "make only certain expected leaders dow you", and expect strange morality in diplomacy. Your citizens were rich, naive and arrogant (lol we don't need any military, everyone loves us so much ;) ), while Shoshone were poor and dominated by their Big Friends. There are many people in the world who don't like this cool United States empire, which gives them Coke, soap operas and wealth - because it is, well, dominant empire!
I would do exactly the same thing as Pocatello, every politician would do the exactly same thing, every Deity player would do this backstab while being dominated by AI. Friendship in diplomacy? Well, I think it still exists, but never - totally unconditional. And this is (ofc very simple) game about preparing and overcoming obstacles during creation of the society.

By the way, my games are so peaceful that I love to see someone betrayed someone else and created interesting mess on the mat, to the point that when I'm playing mods i sometimes use InGameEditor to create giant invasion forces against... myself :p

Also, I don't like insulting authors of certain game/book/whatever basing solely on one annoying aspect of it.

The thing is, no Civ can guarantee it will have peace, no matter what it does, even if you`re super-powerful. You do your best to be peaceful and hopefully, you`ll do it well enough that no one declares war.

It`s realistic.

There are some excellent posts here - the only thing I would add in hope that the OP is still reading is that they should make every effort to see the posts as friendly offers of help and advice.

It can be easy to feel slighted or sulky or even upset when you realize that a thread you started about a grievance you have is not being supported by others - so just try to bear that in mind, see past the negatives and take away the positives.

Apply what you read here to your next game and you should find that you will start playing better and enjoying Civ 5 a lot more than you are at the moment. :)

Ah, ah !

It happened to me MUCH times that a patch ruined my games. Although the fact that devs seem to have pull back is not reassuring.

Who knows, maybe the game is in fact uber-cool, because there is a spy system that allowed pocatello (or pacotello for what I'm awared of :lol: ) to take knowledge of the fact you bribed his enemy to enter in war ??? That would be awesome isn't it ? It is really like that ? Doubt of it. :\

There are some excellent posts here - the only thing I would add in hope that the OP is still reading is that they should make every effort to see the posts as friendly offers of help and advice.

It can be easy to feel slighted or sulky or even upset when you realize that a thread you started about a grievance you have is not being supported by others - so just try to bear that in mind, see past the negatives and take away the positives.

Apply what you read here to your next game and you should find that you will start playing better and enjoying Civ 5 a lot more than you are at the moment. :)

Totally agree, been there, well said Alziel.

This says it all right here. Your neighbors are a die roll. sometimes you get peaceful ones and sometimes super aggressive ones.

It's entirely possible to dissuade the aggressive ones from attacking you by building a strong enough military though.

It's entirely possible to dissuade the aggressive ones from attacking you by building a strong enough military though.

definitely.

AI always dow neighbours who are weak, especially ones who are going for dom victory. Only way is to keep them busy fighting other people or build a strong military.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

I think apocalypse105 would have less gripe with the events he describes, if only he had an imagination.

Regardless of whether the AI registers the fact that you paid another civ to go to war against the guy, the fact is that YOU know that YOU did. So, can't you just imagine, for the sake of having fun with the game, that the guy found out?

If anything, the AI should have a 'information leak' mechanic in which case, occasionally, the fact that you funded a war against a civ would be leaked to the aggrieved civ.

Do we know for sure there isn't one?

I go out on a limb with this, but I suspect when an AI comes to tell you "X is plotting against you" and it's another Civ that declares war on you a while later the "plotting" in question was not preparation for war but the AI was about to bribe someone else to attack you (sometimes the "plotting" results in a denouncement rather than war too).

If that were true, I suppose an AI diplomat might catch the fact you bribe when you do, and it could possibly also report when you make a deal with another Civ to attack in 10 turns (it can't know the city you decide to attack - forcibly - but it can know the one your AI ally is gonna attack).

In any case I've long wondered if those reports of plotting also happen between AI and if there are or not situations in which they report about the human player. I suppose not, since there's no "you plotted against us" modifier.

It's too bad there's also a big omission from the system: you can't report to AI 1 when AI 2 is coming to you with a proposal to attack him. Often enough AI 2 is your mutual enemy... but you cannot tell your friend of his plans! I'd prefer if you could tell AI 1, but if AI 2 had a spy in your capital there would be a small chance (it needs to be small, or else the human would stop bribing and test the water for deals to attack together) that he finds out you betrayed him

It's too bad there's also a big omission from the system: you can't report to AI 1 when AI 2 is coming to you with a proposal to attack him. Often enough AI 2 is your mutual enemy... but you cannot tell your friend of his plans!

Good observation!

Top Bottom