The ~20 plan

Shaitan

der Besucher
This plan is inspired by Donovan Zoi's Size 12 Plan. It involves quickly bringing up our most productive cities to certain effective shield per turn levels by improving terrain and adding workers to the cities. An info poll on the rough plan has overwhelming support. In this thread I will explain it in better detail and we can discuss the best implementation.

Object: Grow cities to effective shield per turn (spt) levels where they can pump out needed units in 1 or 2 turns. Effective means actual production after shield loss due to corruption. If a city puts out 55 shields per turn but has 6 lost to corruption, its effective spt is 49. Let's look at the levels of production required for our 3 current unit builds:
Code:
[b][i]		Shield	# needed for	# needed for
		Cost	1 turn prod	2 turns prod[/i][/b]

Panzer		100	100		50
Infantry	 90	 90		45
Artillery	 80	 80		40
So the effective spt needed for our units are:
Code:
[b][i]SPT	Priority[/i][/b]
100	1
50	2
90	3
45	4
80	5
40	6
Any shields between 51 and 79 are useless as it would still build any unit in 2 turns and no unit in 1 turn. Similarly, shields between any of the levels don't matter either. 90 has the same effect as 95 or 99. Shields over 100 are also useless as you can't get better production than 1 unit per turn and 100 covers it for all units. Shields under 40 don't matter as they don't meet the objective of producing a unit in 1 or 2 turns.

The Plan

Step 1: Governors for each province identify which cities can get to these spt levels. For each of these cities we need to identify the level goal, what improvements are needed and how much population addition is needed. We'll also need to consider cities that share tiles as only one city can use a tile at a time.

Step 2: These cities will then be ranked according to our priorities. Current priority order is panzer, infantry, artillery. This makes the city priority based on maximum effective spt: 100, 50, 90, 45, 80, 40.

Step 3: Do the improvements needed for the first city. As the benefit is not reached without the target spt there should be no adding workers to these cities until the necessary improvements are there. Worker gangs need to be used with all available workers targetting each city in turn.

Step 4: Once the improvements are completed on a city, workers are added to the city to bring it to its target size. Note that target size is not 20 in most cases. Target city size is just to fill the tiles required to get to the shield production level targetted for that city.

Step 5: Repeat #3 and #4 for the next ranked city.

Special considerations

Where needed we may need to rush aqueducts and/or hospitals. These should be built out wherever possible before tile improvements for the city are completed so a rush won't be necessary. Marketplaces may possibly be needed as well in some cities. Generally speaking, other happiness improvements probably won't be necessary as we have 8 luxuries and no city will be taken over population 20 with this plan. Courthouses and Police Stations may also be needed. The cities in this plan will need default rush permission for improvements when needed.

Some cities may need control of tiles outside of their provinces. The cities in this plan must have default priority for extra-provincial tiles required for their target.

Some neighboring cities that lose tiles to a plan city may suffer starvation. The DP must have discretion to change build queues to produce workers and settlers in order to reduce populations to non-starvation levels.

EDIT: Last consideration point added before poll posted.

Kuhkaff - Priority 1 (100 shield target)
Target Population: 20
Tile improvements needed: Irrigate 2 grasslands that are currently mined. Mine and railroad everything else.
City improvements needed: Hospital, Police Station
Max shields at target: 102
Effective shields at target: 100
Special: Kuhkaff will be producing armies, not panzers.

Starke - Priority 5 (80 shield target)
Target Population: 19
Tile improvements needed: Irrigate 3 grasslands that are currently mined. Mine and railroad mountain tiles.
City improvements needed: Hospital, Police Station
Max shields at target: 85
Effective shields at target: 81

Bavaria - Priority 5 (80 shield target)
Target Population: 16
Tile improvments needed: Mine 2 grasslands that are currently irrigated (bonus grassland must be one of them).
City improvements needed: Hospital
Max shields at completion of improvements: 82
Special: Requires tile usage from Southwest and Taliesin provinces.

I completely support this. In fact, I've been getting Kyoto, Starke and Kuhkaff prepared this preturn. I also have workers prepared for other provinces.

I also think we need someone in charge of production for all cities (like domestic). By that, I mean they're albe to tell which cities will need what. Not all the governors know the max shield output. I can name a few right now who are just learning about shield micromanagement and efficiency.

I also call attention to this production list: (slightly outdated)

Code:
City			spt	Inf. (90)	Pan. (100)	Cav. (80)	Art. (80)
[color=green]
Kuhkaff			68	2		2		2		2
Kyoto			62	2		2		2		2
Bavaria			60	2		2		2		2
Bremershaven		54	2		2		2		2
Starke			50	2		2		2		2[/color]
[color=blue]
Plexenburg		48	2		3		2		2
Bizen			46	2		3		2		2
The Burrow		44	3		3		2		2
Miami			42	3		3		2		2
Tokyo			42	3		3		2		2[/color]
[color=orangered]
Pensacola		38	3		3		3		3
Padmativa		38	3		3		3		3
Kells			38	3		3		3		3
Tlaxcala		38	3		3		3		3
Strider's Haven		36	3		3		3		3
Serentity		36	3		3		3		3[/color]
[color=red]
Civantoria		34	3		4		3		3
Androbius		32	3		4		3		3
Kagoshima		32	3		4		3		3
Morgana			32	3		4		3		3
Valhalla		32	3		4		3		3
Gunningheim		30	3		4		3		3
Cuernavaca		28	4		4		3		3
Naerva			28	4		4		3		3
Eklektochtitlan		28	4		4		3		3[/color]
[color=firebrick]
Nara			26	4		4		4		4
Leckopolis		24	4		5		4		4
Shimonoseki		22	5		5		4		4
Osaka			22	5		5		4		4
Philadelphia		20	5		5		4		4
Octavinium		20	5		5		4		4[/color]

Also, These are the cities I've worked/added to so far. (cities already worked some are below the dashed line)

Top Cities/Provinces to work:

Hafenland
"To Dye For"
Montis Abeo Gramen
Quellewasser
Southwest

Bizen
Kells
Serenity
Kagoshima
Nara
Leckopolis
Octavinium
Osaka
Philly
Nagoya
Izibia
Dacula
Gebirgssenke
Tarkingrad
Rostov
The Highlands
Hohenweiss
Zwishchentholz
Palanthus
Houston
Akkad
Grandmastoria

-------

Kyoto
Tokyo
Bremershaven
Miami

Originally posted by Chieftess
I completely support this. In fact, I've been getting Kyoto, Starke and Kuhkaff prepared this preturn. I also have workers prepared for other provinces.

I also think we need someone in charge of production for all cities (like domestic). By that, I mean they're albe to tell which cities will need what. Not all the governors know the max shield output. I can name a few right now who are just learning about shield micromanagement and efficiency.
Perhaps what we need is for someone to give the governors who require it a crash course in how to go about this, rather than just giving someone the power to overrule them if that's what you're suggesting.

And no I'm not volunteering, just in case you were wondering ;)

That's why I'm writing up a tutorial right now. :)

Originally posted by Chieftess
That's why I'm writing up a tutorial right now. :)
:goodjob:

I think it's an excellent idea for the three cities listed above (and Kyoto too). I don't think we should just wildly start growing cities. We have about 225 workers, let's move into this plan slowly so it's easily followed and explained.

Good work, BTW.

Another small item. The small cities that are going towards wealth instead of workers should go back to workers. Not just for these targeted cities but for general growth spurts at interior cities. Tile use equals wealth. Population equals tile use. Our border cities can be a big help with the overall economy and growth.

I agree of this plan :D. Shaitan, I have sent you a PM regarding the spt thingy :).

I also agree. Do note however, that I have a TIGHT schedule this weekend, and will only be able to post build queues - and probably "nothing" more before the t/c on saturday.

Prior to the wednesday t/c, I wanted to take a closer look at this, but unfortunately, my company required a ton of overtime this week, and so I have not been able to do an analysis yet. I see that CT has already done something to Kyoto....probably because my tile instructions were...err....somewhat vague ;)
(I suppose some of my queues might have been changed as well...)

I did a maximum spt analysis on all my cities. here it is:

Originally posted by Gingerbread Man
State of the state:

Izibia
Maximum Population:

Current Population:

Maximum Production:
20spt/40spt with factory.

Current Production:
14spt -3spt waste

Nocfiedera
Maximum Population:
10 (9 with max production)

Current Population:

Maximum Production:
21spt/42spt with factory.

Current Production:
17spt -5spt waste

Pensacola
Maximum Population:
Maximum laborers

Current Population:

Maximum Production:
28spt/56spt with factory.

Current Production:
41spt -3spt waste

New Falcon's Nest
Maximum Population:

Current Population:

Maximum Production:
25spt/50spt with factory.

Current Production:
20spt -5spt waste

Civanatoria
Maximum Population:
Maximum laborers

Current Population:

Maximum Production:
28spt/56spt with factory.

Current Production:
41spt -7spt waste

Bremershaven
Maximum Population:
Maximum laborers

Current Population:

Maximum Production:
24spt/68spt with factory.

Current Production:
57spt -3spt waste

Tlaxcala
Maximum Population:
Maximum laborers

Current Population:

Maximum Production:
29spt/58spt with factory.

Current Production:
43spt -5spt waste

Cuernavaca
Maximum Population:
Maximum laborers

Current Population:

Maximum Production:
26spt/52spt with factory.

Current Production:
34spt -6spt waste

Eklektochtitlan
Maximum Population:
Maximum laborers

Current Population:

Maximum Production:
29spt/58spt with factory.

Current Production:
34spt -6spt waste

[/b]

If anybody needs help making this, please ask.

Gingerbread Man, you've got 100% increase for factories. They increase production by only 50%. Using the figures you posted your max productions will be:

Izibia: 30 spt
Nocfiedera: 32 spt
Pensacola: 42 spt
New Falcon's Nest: 38 spt
Civanatoria: 42 spt
Bremershaven: 36 spt
Tlaxcala: 45 spt
Cuernavaca: 39 spt
Eklektochtitlan: 45 spt

You've got a bunch of cities (those with 40+ spt) that rate as priority 8 cities.

Originally posted by Shaitan
Gingerbread Man, you've got 100% increase for factories. They increase production by only 50%.

Actually, due to the fact that we have built the Hoover Dam, all cities with a factory automatically get another 50% spt bonus.

Just as a test, I had a city location with all grasslands (and a few plains) - the extra bonus resources made up for it. Just pretend the plains are bonus grasslands. :D It's all mines and maxed out with a hydro plant, MFG plant, and factory (there was no uranium on that continent though). Result? Not what you might normally expect. 122spt. 120 after corruption, enough for a jet per turn.

There seems to have been a pretty large disconnect between how the plan was supposed to be implemented and how it is being done. Kuhkaff is our army producer and was at the top of the priority list but it still has tiles being worked. It still has a mountain tile that is completely virgin and must be roaded, railroaded and mined. All available workers are to complete a single city before moving to the next city. What gives?

Also, the Kuhkaff queue specified a police station be built after the hospital as this will be necessary to get the 100 shields per turn. There is no police station in the city queue. Why was it removed?

Well,

1 - I didn't see any 'changes in bold', and having just had a preturn-only turnchat, and many of the instructions appeared to be the same, I thought it was the same queue. (There's over 100 cities to look through now)...

2 - I tried to follow it word per word. Personally, I do better with pictures.

3 - Certain tiles were in other provinces, and I didn't have, or didn't get/see the governors ok.

4 - When I would move some of the tiles, like Morgana, the city would start to starve.

The changed queues were bolded. We'll pick up the misses on the next chat instructions.

Part of the provisions of the basic ~20 plan are that the identified production centers have tile priority regardless of province borders. All of the governors that have responded have approved the plan so there shouldn't be any problem there. If necessary, do a spot Council Vote.

For cities like Morgana (probably Androbius and Valhalla and others), build workers/settlers to reduce population to a maintenance level. It will be difficult for governors to identify these on a per city basis as it really only becomes visible while the Plan cities are being built out and up during the game.

Top Bottom