The 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia Thread

By the way, I tabulated the alternative scoring (1/8 = 1 pt, 1/4 = 2 pts, 1/2 = 4 pts, final = 8 pts) and the standing would be:

1. Uberfrog 15
2. caketastydelish, Ozbenno, ThERat 14
5. Serutan, Turquoiside, Birra 13
8. AdrienIer, Sofista 12
10. RikMeleet, shadowplay 11
12. red_elk, Snerk 10
14. Takhisis 9
15. raen 8
16. Ferocitus 6

There would be a potential 16 points to be awarded which throws the competition wide open, which makes it more exciting :)

Just an idea: you get bonuspoints for exact score in the final and even more bonuspoints for naming the goal-scorers. In case of a penalty-shootout bonuspoints for naming the penalty-takers and whether they'll miss or score.

A duel it is then. We will meet at the break of dawn near the old oak tree. My weapon of choice is ...claw.

Also, why the Tartarus would you take Dutch as a language? And why did you quit?
Well, as an interpreter one takes the opportunity to try and learn as many languages as one can. I've learned far more complicated ones so a language with simple grammar and not-too-terrible pronounciation is easier to learn… someday I'll renew my attempts.
Dutch is (or was, at the time) very marketable, too.

Are you sure that you want have a claw fight with a five-headed immortal dragon goddess?
So. Are we just not discussing the iron clad certainty that the Russian soccer team is all doping because there's no doubt, and we assume they're not going to win the cup anyway?
The Juventus team was doped in the 1995-1996 Champions league finale against Ajax. They just kept going and going.
In the end it helped them to get to the penalty-shootout which Juventus won.
See this: https://www.vpro.nl/programmas/tege...edverraad-in-de-champions-league-finale~.html (Dutch, but interviews in English (IIRC))
It's ammonia for the Russian team, but it's currently not banned.

ThERat, so you'll be keeping the alternate scoring? (Fine by me).

My predictions:
France vs Belgium (such fine teams, these two, but in the end I think Belgium's more experienced guys will overcome)
Croatia vs England (at this point the physical element is a factor, and England is in much better shape).

I think this tally is right…
France - Belgium
France: 8 - Belgium: 6
Croatia - England
Croatia: 6 - England: 8​

So, basically, CFC's consensus less than 24 hours before the first semi is that either team can win.

Maradona's such a hypocrite, he's throwing such a fit about the refereeing in England-Colombia but his handball against the English is soemthing he actually boasts about.

Ah-ah, Croatia's NHS has decided to fire Ognen Vukojević, a member of the coaching staff, for making pro-Ukraine statements. Domagoj Vida remains a member of the team, for now.

I think this tally is right…
France - Belgium
France: 8 - Belgium: 6
Croatia - England
Croatia: 6 - England: 8​

So, basically, CFC's consensus less than 24 hours before the first semi is that either team can win.

Various advanced stats metrics broadly agree that the semifinals are slightly weighted coin tosses. England is very mildly favored, who wins the marquee semifinal depends on who you ask, and the winner of the marquee semifinal should lift the Cup but they won't be as much of a favorite as you might think.

France probably has more overall quality in the first XI but Belgium's counterattack is flat-out terrifying. As with any Belgium game managed by Martinez, there will be goals.

As far as the England game goes, to me the only relevant questions are whether Biff Byford will be present and whether the brass band will support him in a rendition of Crusader. (Not from England. Saxon fan.)

France vs Belgium
Croatia vs England

I agree that France have too much quality up front and likely will come out on top. I think Croatia will be too fatigued for England.

Yes, I think that each of the four surviving teams has a good chance at their next game, and a fair chance at the title.

Due to travelling commitments, I've missed most of the winning England games.

My best watching so far was the second half of the Belgium - Japan game.

Politics in Eurovision, now in football.

Meanwhile I have the feeling that Belgium has better cartoonists than players.

Attachments

• IMG_20180710_152223.png
    IMG_20180710_152223.png
    628.3 KB · Views: 162
Even though I had picked Russia here, I was very happy to see Croatia win their game. I'v enjoyed rooting for all four of the remaining teams and I'm going to enjoy seeing any of them win it all.
France - Belgium
England - Croatia

Ah-ah, Croatia's NHS has decided to fire Ognen Vukojević, a member of the coaching staff, for making pro-Ukraine statements. Domagoj Vida remains a member of the team, for now.

Politics in Eurovision, now in football.

It's comedy gold. The staffer can go, the player who scored, who did the same thing, stays. Si duo faciunt idem, non est idem. :lol:

The player who scored was also recorded chanting "Belgrade, burn!". But later said it wasn't political.

And what, he didn't approve of Titoist architecture?

The French keeper is earning his bread today.

If Belgium or Croatia end up winning the whole thing, would that be more or less strange than Greece winning Euro 2004?

Top Bottom