The 2018 FIFA World Cup Russia Thread

Strangely enough, nobody's betting on both England and Croatia.
CFC's total votes, if I haven't miscounted:
Belgium - England
Belgium: 14 - England 3
France - Croatia
France: 11 - Croatia 6​

I don't think any losing team would turn down additional time to draw even based on the off chance that they might get cramps while someone on the winning team is wasting time.
Any sensible team. This is football, I know a lot of football players, and they are anything but rational or sensible.

Maybe this is why I am not a professional football player.

Last edited:
But it's usual evening time, 5 and 6 PM. Many games were played at this time.
The main games were played later, at around 9pm on Russian time...The final in here starts at 9am on a Sunday, when the last games of the day usually started at noon...So it's a bit early for me hehehe...

Belgium England 1-3
France Croatia 1-2 aet.

Sticking with England and hoping for Croatia.

England managed to be scored against after only 4 minutes.

What is a bit annoying is that this England team, likely the least talented they had for decades, managed to equal the position of the teams of 1986 and 1990, which were actually good. :) The 1990 one might have even won it in the final.

And a big thank you to Belgium for actually showing up to play. After the first half it looks like England has sent a bunch of lookalikes to simply punch the clock.

I'm having some fun at Lukaku's expense. The guy must have signaled for the ball to be sent this or that way about 30 times, ony to be systematically ignored by his teammates. There should be a drinking game!

3rd place game in WC is imo without meaning. Only in competitions where you have three trophies (eg olympics, or pan-euro basketball championships) it makes sense to have a game for 3rd position :)

For a look at random teams who were 3rd in recent-ish world cups:

Turkey (2002, in S.Korea/Japan)
Sweden (1994, in the US)

In 2002 third place would have been given to a random team regardless of the result of the game.
I like the third place game. It allows players to play one more WC match, and usually a couple players get to start their first game in the competition (sometimes young talents, or veterans who were chosen in the team for better cohesion)

In 2002 third place would have been given to a random team regardless of the result of the game.
I like the third place game. It allows players to play one more WC match, and usually a couple players get to start their first game in the competition (sometimes young talents, or veterans who were chosen in the team for better cohesion)

Likewise in 1994; if it wasn't Sweden it would have been Bulgaria.

I am still annoyed at how no-talent Sweden cost Romania its place in the final four. Romania at the time had an amazing team and could actually win that world cup. Sweden was just boring tall people :)

Trivia: i was actually in Stockholm at the time of that game! (Sweden vs Romania, knock-out phase)

Last edited:
My drinking game is drink when they pass back to Kompany.
Also, we have two goalkeepers, go Alderwereld!

Pickford is a horrible human being for stopping that amazing shot

Does England actually have any decent/WC level player?

(i know that at times less talented teams win- cough, euro 2004 ^_^ - but, again, i am irked that England lost consistently when it had a few good players, and now is fourth in a WC).

Kane was good in the group stage, but less so since then. Henderson did a good WC, and Maguire surprised everyone. Trippier was probably their best player, a surprise as well. Overall they had something like 8 good players (not great, but good) and no one to lead them to victory in the important games. They were worse than ~5-8 countries but were lucky enough to get to the semi without facing anyone good.

Top Bottom