The 2nd Official Anime Manga Thread: Exploring the Camphor Trees

I streamrolled through Gurren Lagann like the first week of summer vacation.

Wow.

Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is a real epic anime, nice taste.

May I recommend Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion and Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2?
To any romance loving people here check Kimi ni Todoke.
For those who like a slice of life, watch Lucky Star.
For those who wants harem animes, I can say that I've watched Princess Lover, Futakoi, Asu no Yoichi, Shuffle!, Rosario to Vampire and Rosario to Vampire: Capu2.
For the people who wants some mecha action, check Macross Frontier, Gundam Seed & Destiny, Gundam 00 Season 1&2.
For those wanting something weird and refreshing, watch The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Season 1&2.
People that like badass entertainment should watch Black Lagoon Season 1 & the second barrage (season 2).
People that like disaster events, watch Tokyo Magnitude 8.0.
In the realm of supernatural, watch Zoku Natsume Yuujinchou (the first one was Natsume Yuujinchou) and Mushishi.
Some other animes I've watched are: Great Teacher Onizuka, Bakemonogatari, Clannad, 07-Ghost, Michiko to Hatchin, Kateikyoushi Hitman Reborn and Martian Successor Nadesico.

I highly recommend ToraDora! and Seto no Hanayome.

I recommend the OVA's Howl's Moving Castle, Spirited Away and The Girl Who Leap Through Time.

I'm adding some more later... My HD crashed.

Watched some Hellsing a while ago, but I only half liked it. Alucard and Integral are interesting characters in their own right, but most of what happens through the series is on the tedious side. It has this weird Japanized rendition of Great Britain going on that is a little hard to swallow. Oh, and the final enemy is big time lame.

Started on Valkyria Chronicles now, though, which looks to be quite promissing.

For those who like a slice of life, watch Lucky Star.

that is, a slice of Japanese teenage schoolgirl life, mind you all. I must admit to having watched and liked it. :shame:

May I recommend Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion and Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion R2?

Oh, Code Geass. You were one of the most hilarious shows I've ever watched. Unintentional, or intentional? I don't know. It's one big B movie. Too bad the best parts are over though...one of the best experiences I had was watching the new releases on Sunday, and then going to :):):):):)'s /a/ board, finding the CG threads, and reading them. Spinzaku came out of those threads, as well as funny screencaps and weird fan guesses about plot twists.

I highly recommend watching it with somebody though. It's like watching any old B movie. Don't do it by yourself in the dark. Do it with somebody so you can laugh about it.

For those wanting something weird and refreshing, watch The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Season 1&2.

Season 2's Endless Eight episodes murdered any enthusiasm I had for the series. I couldn't recover after watching two or three of them and I never came back to give the rest a chance. I took a long break from shows after that. So disappointed. D:

Edit: Oh, neat, I tripped a wordfilter.

I did watch the Endless Eight episodes and I agree that it did kill the mood that any Haruhi episode has. Believe me or not, I actually watched those, from episode 2 to episode 9.
*oops plot spoiler*
Spoiler :
where Kyon finally broke the loop. Each episode has a different theme, ranging to clothes, activities and even dialogs.

I actually laughed when Asahina called Kyon...
Kyoooooooon-kuuuun....*sob**sob*

Did anyone know/watch Macross Frontier?

I felt the need to order an old favorite from Netflix: Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.

I absolutely love this movie. Its mix of steampunk with an environmental theme is cool, and the story is exciting and compelling. Aside from a few awkward script lines (the atmosphere is full of anger! :lol:), it was a lot of fun.

blazblue is the anime right?

Haven't been watching much anime.

Finished the original Appleseed, though have to say I didn't find the story very awe-inspiring, though it has a few good moments. Very nicely drawn and animated however. Story-wise, I think I favor John Woo's take.

Watched some American 'anime'. Legend of the Dragon t.v. series. Not recommended.

*bump* to keep the thread alive.

I saw Lupin the 3rd : Dead or Alive ("theatrical movie") the other day.

It was my first "Lupin the 3rd" ever ( I don't get cable, so no Cartoon Network for me).

Thoughts: basically thoughtful slapstick humor with many touches of evil. There are tentacles a plenty but mostly as a nanomachine defense system rather than being sexually suggestive. All in all I'd recommend it but it kept making me think of Saddam Hussein and Iraq (I'm guessing that the release kind of coincided with the invasion of Iraq). Had some ok surprise twists but I felt they failed to explain some things leaving plot-holes or delusions due to guilty consciences of the characters.

If you like Scooby Doo but wished it had more machine guns and rpgs, then you'll probably like this one.

I'm new to Anime. So far i've watched and finished:

Great Teacher Onizuka
The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya
Samuri Champloo
FLCL (Fooly Cooly).

I'm currently watching/Have not finished for whatever reasons:

Cowboy Bebop
Tengenn Toppa Gurren Lagann

I tried but couldn't finish:

Lucky Star
Azumanga.

Jesus Christ, is that what Japan is like? I cannot emphasise how uncomftable i felt whilst watching some of these anime programs. Even Great Teacher Onizuka, which i enjoyed massively, turned me off at certain points with it's strange "interest" in the girls of the School in which the main character worked in. Surely i am not the only one who feels this way? I can't believe how women and girls are treated in anime.

Oh, I remember this thread!

--

I've been watching a ton of mecha/sci-fi type stuff this summer. I worked through most of the UC Gundam franchise. The various shorts OVAs (08th MS Team, War in the Pocket, Igloo, and 0083) were more enjoyable than the main series proper.

I also watched Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars, which have collectively broken into my top 10 favorite series. Unrelatedly, I finally got around to watching Baccano, which was extremely weird and will require re-watching to appreciate.

So after years of righteous, near-bigoted anime hatred I have taken my first tentative steps into the genre since I was 8 doing high kicks beside my TV while Dragon Ball Z was on. Im looking to the resident Nippophiles to recommend me some more based on what I've liked before. So far I have seen and enjoyed

Armitage
Cowboy Bebop
Akira
Ghost in the Shell
The Starship Troopers OVAs

Keep in mind that I still find 85% of anime to be unwatchable. But I want that to change (kinda, a lot of it does really suck)!

EDIT: Also, I like Samurais. Could anyone point me in the direction of badass samurais?

I also watched Crest of the Stars and Banner of the Stars, which have collectively broken into my top 10 favorite series.

FINALLY! Someone who loves those as much as I do. Talk about great dialogue and character development. Space opera at it's finest. Banner of the Stars III is in my top five animes.

Uh... watched a LOT of anime lately. Finished Ergo Proxy a couple weeks ago which was the most philosophically layered anime I've ever seen, no contest. Brilliant. Watching Freedom which is... ok. Started Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 which is mediocre.

Edit: Oh yeah. Went to JAFAX a few weeks ago in Michigan. Free anime convention of 3,000+. Will be going to Youmacon in Detroit on Halloween, which I think is more like 6,000-7,000. Trying to get togther a Naota cosplay from FLCL and maybe a Kamen Rider Kabuto cosplay for sheer ridiculousness.

Unrelatedly, I finally got around to watching Baccano, which was extremely weird and will require re-watching to appreciate.

Good choice, my friend. Baccano! is extremely amazing.

ISAAAAAAAAKU!
MARRRRIAAAAAA!

I wish there was a second series of GREAT TEACHER ONIZUKA.

Good choice, my friend. Baccano! is extremely amazing.

ISAAAAAAAAKU!
MARRRRIAAAAAA!
:lol: Those two were fabulous.

GoodEnoughForMe said:
FINALLY! Someone who loves those as much as I do. Talk about great dialogue and character development. Space opera at it's finest. Banner of the Stars III is in my top five animes.
CotS completely blew me away in terms of characterization and dialogue. Few shows were as consistently entertaining or displayed such a grand scale. It's also rare to see such care taken in developing the characters and their relationships. Truly an epic.

Oh, and Lafiel is adorable but that's a topic for another day.

Uh... watched a LOT of anime lately. Finished Ergo Proxy a couple weeks ago which was the most philosophically layered anime I've ever seen, no contest. Brilliant. Watching Freedom which is... ok. Started Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 which is mediocre.
In addition to its broad philosophical narrative, Ergo Proxy likes to throw out little references to obscure Presocratics without warning. I was immensely pleased by the reference to Heraclitus early on.

Ergo Proxy sits in a similar vein to Lain, Texhnolyze, and Paranoia Agent. It's a bit slow going at first, but provides a rich experience if you're willing to dig into it.

--

My current project is Monster, all 74 episodes of it. I'd love to find a German dub of this, but the Japanese will have to make do.

In terms of the season that just started,
1) everything is mediocre or worse
2) what's with the obsession for zombies/the occult/etc?

Can anyone recommend some good comedic anime for a newbie to anime?

I AM A LAFIEL FANBOY

I'll admit it. She's my favorite female character in any anime ever (strong-willed, smart, independent, but not without flaws; most notably her stubborn attitude at times. Oh, and it helps she's not overtly sexualized). I put her in the same vane as Spike in terms of being awesome. Which is basically pure awesome.

Props on Paranoia Agent too. Very good show.

Didn't like Monster a whole lot though. The middle section kind of drags, which is too bad, because the cast is pretty interesting and unique. Thought the series as a whole was decidedly average, although I appear to be in a minority with that.

Edit:

Can anyone recommend some good comedic anime for a newbie to anime?

Sadly, I think some of the best anime comedy is rather insular and requires a knowledge of the medium. I'd recommened Ouran High School Host Club. It definately is more likeable when you know all the anime and harem standbys it makes fun of, but it was one of my first animes and I still enjoyed it a lot even then. You've seen FLCL already, which is honestly my favorite comedy.

Nodame Cantabile is a charming comedy based around music with a wonderful cast of characters. It's pretty consistently funny, but drags some towards the end.

Finally, watch the first 6 or so episodes of Gyagu Manga Biyori. You can stop then. But... just give it a shot. You won't know what hit you, but it all makes sense strangely enough.

Edit edit: Communisto, give Samurai Champloo a try. It has cool samurais and was directed by the guy behind Cowboy Bebop.

Top Bottom