The AI actually does something smart(and is it also cheating?)

Reading the posts here, I get the impression that misunderstanding the AI is common.

The Artificial Intelligence is the same on all levels. The AI isn't smarter on high levels, it just pay less than you for technologies and constructions. There are some more differences, but this is the main thing.

Thanks alot i never thought you can do this. But does it also work for resources deals like coal for iron, can you end it after 20 turns?
You can go into the game options and select to renegotiate deals when they expire. Then the AI will contact you after 20 turns.

Yes the AI is the same regardless of the level. It knew the coal was there and sat on that tile. It does that if you let it.

The reason you do not see that on chief is that it is getting hammered. The morale of the story is not to sign RoP deals, unless you have a very good reason. Once you have do end it as soon as the 20 turns is over.

I'm not sure if the other civs can't actually "see" resources if they haven't gotten the technology yet.

Reason I'm suggesting this is, in a recent game - I had a number of oil resources. The only other resource was in a civ's area that was roaded to it - but they didn't have refining technology. During a turn, I suddenly "discovered a new source of oil" on a railroad near one of my cities, and the other civ's source vanished.

I'm guessing that they were linked to the resource and were considered using it even though they weren't really using it.

I also noticed that civs like to build fortifications on resources outside of their boundaries, and if I send a settler over there and settle on it (so it's in my boundaries), the fortification then looks crumbled and I can access the resource with roads and use them.

I had something similar happen in the Napoleon Campaign. I had a victory point location city destroyed, and while I had an ROP with the Ottomans, they fortified 3-4 warriors on that spot. If I asked them to move, they would declare war on me.

What happened to me once was that england had a sorce of iron just out of their border. And it was unclaimed. Fifty turns later, England still didn't plop down a city on the iron. And they had no other source of Iron. And they didn't put a colony on it either. Sometimes I wonder how dumb the AI is.

You can sometimes even guess where those resources will be in your own territory since the AI tried to sent some settlers there. Especially in small areas still neutral but well within your own territory.
It also helps to keep an eye about your enemies strategic resources. In case of a war it might be a good idea to try and take those first or even bombard them from the sea if you have the opportunity.

Yes, you can definitely use high difficulty level AI bonuses in your own advantage! Example: Always capture AI tundra cities, if they are not in danger of flipping. There's a huge chance of having oil right next to them! :mischief:

Smartest action of Babilonians I saw was at my GOTM 52, Diety, Predator.
In alliance with China we were at war vs Babilonians. I approached Babilon with Ottoman Cavs and was ready to take it. First strike was unsucsessful, however, only few LB in the City left. What Babs did IBT surprized me a lot:
They Loaded all LB to Caravels, leaving City undefended with 1 wounded spear, and unloaded 5 LB near China City. Sure, I took Babilon, but they Capture good Chinise City next IBT.

Wasn't an exploit like this banned in GOTM?
How can you describe cancelling a deal as an exploit? :crazyeye: If you change the option in the preferences to 'always renegotiate deals' then you will automatically be taken to the diplomacy screen when the 20 turns of a deal are up.

EDIT - oops, should read both pages before posting. Still, I don't see how it's an exploit.

I had something similar happen in the Napoleon Campaign. I had a victory point location city destroyed, and while I had an ROP with the Ottomans, they fortified 3-4 warriors on that spot. If I asked them to move, they would declare war on me.
There's nothing mysterious about that - the AI will plonk units down on any VP they can get to, and both human and AI players can always see VPs.

How can you describe cancelling a deal as an exploit? :crazyeye: If you change the option in the preferences to 'always renegotiate deals' then you will automatically be taken to the diplomacy screen when the 20 turns of a deal are up.
I read somewhere that the scout resource denial was banned on civfanatics. I didn't mean breaking the deal.

Top Bottom