The Ancient Mediterranean MOD (TAM)

The Tech Tree:

Attachments

• ancient-age.gif
    ancient-age.gif
    3.8 KB · Views: 1,917
I discovered probably the same bug by building the oracle or the pyramids. It seems that only the human player is affected by this.

The Solution:

When you choose to build a wonder in the city view, you will notice that the icons are messed up. That's because many buildings are missing and it reads building per building, regardless the name. The Colossus, for example has the icon of the lab.

Now if you look at:

civ3\Art\City Screen\buildings-large.pcx
civ3\Art\City Screen\buildings-small.pcx

All buildings are numbered. Before, Colossus was #36. There it now is #21.

Now look at:

civ3\Text\PediaIcons.txt

The second-last section is called:
"#WONDER_SPLASH_ART begin"

All wonders are numbered, strangely enough starting with "30" (note that in the buildings-large.pcx the first wonder is #34. Difference of 4 - strange, but oh well...)

The game looks into the PediaIcons.txt for Colossus. In the buildings list it's the 21st (and not the 36th). Therefore the game would look in the PediaIcons for Colossus as #17 (remeber the difference of 4), but that entry doesn't exist.

Now if you change the numbers for the wonders in the PediaIcons.txt, it will work. In this case, 15 is Pyramids, 16 is Hanging Gardens and 17 is Colossus. It works!

Here is one more bug. It took me quite a while to understand this one: Opening the city display of some cities connected by a road net caused the termination of the program. Other cities not on this road net were not affected by this bug. The solution: Thamis, you´re using some 13 or so luxury goods in your scenario, but civ3 supports only 9 luxuries. If any city is connected with a luxury ressource above the ninth place of the ressource table opening of the city view will cause the game to crash. Perhaps you could change some luxuries into bonus ressources.

I hope this will be the end of bug hunting ...

Hi!

Hmm, strange. This shouldn't be the case. I'm sure other mods have more luxury resources, too... I'll try to find something out about it, because I really don't want to have less luxury resources - that's what I like so much: every civ can trade with almost every other civ!

Here might be the solution:

GIDustin: Has anyone looked at the Art\City Screen\luxuryicons_small.pcx file yet? This MAY beone of the reasons why resources are failing, however i rather doubt it :p

I'll work on it.

BTW: Another "bug". Iberia has a starting position with no grassland around. Therefore the city size doesn't go above 2 unless the computer researches Agriculture and irrigates. Apparently, there is a certain routine that tells the computer to build a settler in the capital for the first xx turns, afterwards it won't. Thus I had a one-town Iberian nation that had a superb city and tons of units (compared to only one city). They never built any settler, because they never irrigated!!!

Did you see Gelvan's post on resources:

Only 8 Luxury Resources. They have to be placed on exactly the same position on which the original luxury resources are now. That means you can REPLACE luxuries, but you can't add or remove any of them. If you want to replace a luxury resource by another pic, you have to copy the new resource on the position of the luxury resource you want to kick out. In hard words: Do NOT use the "luxury"-flag of the editor.
Note: Replacement of the luxury-pic inside the city screen is possible by edding the luxurysmallicons.pcx.

Only 36 different pictures. You can only use the first 36 pictures of your resources.pcx. That means, if you want to use any picture after coffee (no 36), you have to copy and paste it, and replace one of the first 36 pics.
Note: In the EDITOR more than 36 resource-pics will be seen but not in the game itself. They are there (contributing food etc. to the tile) only they are INVISIBLE. You can use more than 36 pic, but you can't see them.

You can add as many strategic resources as you want (well, at maximum 28 (36 - 8 luxuries) ). If you have more than 8 strategic resources they won't show up in the city screen, but at least they cause no problems and work well with wonders and units.

By the way Thamis,
I have a new version of my resources mod out, so you might want to check that out and include some of that. For instance, there's a new Olive Oil resource, which would be very appropriate to this time period.

Also, have you seen the maps on my website? Tons of good maps there to help you figure out which resources were important, and where they were located.

http://apolyton.net/haven/

I saw your map for the mod. Better than the one I thought you were using, but still highly flawed. The map you're basing it on is inaccurate in many ways. For instance, the vegetation for that map is based from around 500 AD, when there was a lot less forest in this area. I have a better map for you to base yours off of, which I will email you.

And given that there's absolutely no Jungle or Tundra in your map, I was thinking you may want to rename them and use them for something else.

I've been told that when one gives a terrain type a food value of 0, the AI will not build cities on it, except along the edges (or if there are big food resources in the area). So if you want to prevent cities in the Sahara, that should take care of that. I see your latest rules has Desert give 0 food- has anyone noticed if that has helped? Giving desert no Irrigation would also help I think.

Given that Tundra can have forest on it, I suggest you rename it Evergreen, and put only forest with the "pine" appearance on it. On all other forests, never use the pine appearance. So this way, all you have to do is change the underlying terrain graphic with something else and you have a new terrain type.

There are a number of different things you could do with Jungle. Sand is one, another good idea would be Swamp.

Also,
Check out my recent posting on my wonder splashes thread. I have a new bunch there. Lots of those could fill the lack of pictures you have now, and you may be inspired to add some wonders after seeing pictures of them. for instance, why not have all 7 of the official seven ancient wonders in your mod?

Harlan:

Resources:
Yea, I figured it out. I'll work out a new distribution of resources with only 8 lux <sniff>. I will also change them - silk isn't a mediterranean resource, ivory will become strategic and named "elephant", gems seem not so important to me (the quantities are so little that you can't fill a trade caravan and travel from here to there...). Olives are great! I also downloaded a map from your website on resources. I'll use that for guidance. But please don't complain about "not realistic": I will give each civ three lux resources of one kind, so that everyone has to trade.

Map:
Yes, I will include other terrains, but in the next map. As I said above we should make many maps, so I'll make this one the "500 AD migration age map". Please tell me of the other flaws, so that I can correct them. And eMail me the other map (see pm).
BTW: On your website you placed my map, but when you click on it it's a broken link.

The AI still builds on the desert because there's oasis there. The cities don't get big, though. I think desert settlement is ok, and totally ineffective. <g> In some games the AI was better off because of resources, but I didn't put resources into the Sahara (except for Ahaggar Mts.).

Wonder Splashes:
Great thing! I will put those in. I wish to add all 7 wonders of the world, but not now. I will try to gametest and remove the current bugs first (adding stuff only causes more) and do more additions later.
If anyone is willing to do so, please put the new wonders that harlan suggested into the civilopedia.txt and pediaicons.txt. We also need city icons for them. I will not work on it right now.

Strange bug:

The game just exits. I wanted to know what the bug is and used the savegame editor to find out. I revealed the map and found out that the game exits when a Persian catapult attacks some Egyptian unit (it's the catapult in the Persian city of Bampur). I looked at the civ3mod and found out that I didn't give the catapult and ranged attack animation and thought "that's it". I tried a new game with the civ3mod, gave myself a catapult and placed a barbarian 2 fields away and attacked - fine.

But now I still wasn't sure, so I tried something else: I game the catapult to myself (Rome) and attacked - everything's fine. Then I gave myself the city Bampur (I thought the units inside would belong to me, too, but they don't). Now the strangest thing: The catapult is still in Bampur, and it still attacks, but now the game doesn't crash! I am clueless...

I attached the two savegames (both with revealed map), one with Bampur to Persia and one with Bampur to Rome.

Oh, and in the next update the catapult will have "ranged attack animation", of course.

Thamis,
I'd recommend making Amber a luxury resource, and Olive oil a bonus resource. Olive oil was more of a basic thing like wheat, whereas Amber was a truly rare luxury (and a huge part of the barbarian economy in northern Europe).

It may take me a day or two to get that map to you.

Top Bottom