The Backstab Boys: Top civs to never trust?

Ironically, the one Civ I have never had backstab me is Mongolia. Genghis may rape and pillage, but if you get a DoF out of him, he means it.

Gajah 'the FAT Backstabber' Mada. He always broke his friendships no matter who are their friends. Last time he backstabbed me with Hiawatha, and later he backstabbed his Iroques buddy, and then he backstabbed me again. Okay at least second time he didn't dare to attack me. And he did it without consequences, nobody had denounced him. I simply hate this guy. His only luck was that I was backstabbed by Gandhi (what a jerk, he comes with a sad face to say here is my oppurtunity to kill you:D), and he had stronger military (bomber vs cannon) so I wasn't in the mood for another war.
Enrico made it bad, everybody told me that he is planning to invade me, so it wasn't an equal war. And it made no sense because he sat next to Gandhi ho likes easy weakened preys.

In one of my last games I was playing a large Spanish empire. I shared my border with Greece in the Northeast and Sweden in the Southeast. The rest of the borders were water. Greece was constantly at war with everyone at various points in the game. I had been friends with Sweden most of the game, defense pacts, trade routes, resource trading. France kept attacking my city state protectorates so I declared war, took my forces off the borders and sent them across the ocean to attack France. Then, all of a sudden, out of the blue, with no warning, Sweden declared war on me. They hadn't expected my large gold stockpile that I used to purchase a small force to supplement the few troops I left in the Motherland (in case Greece attacked). Fought a good defensive war and pushed them back but it was so strange they would attack.

Most honest person in Civ5: Shaka.

Yup. If he wants to stick his spear into you, he'll tell you straight up. No lying or tricks with that guy. That; of course, is the exact opposite of Alexander. You could trade with him, keep him afloat, liberate his cities, liberate his entire Civilization, supply him units, support him in his war, share religions/ideologies, DoF him and Denounce his enemies, and after all that he will still declare war on you.

If we ever share any borders I always build a bunch of troops and forts around our borders...

Shaka is very honorable and extremely blunt. He'll declare war right in your face. If you beat his ass enough times, he'll grow to respect you and become an ally for a long time. (eventually he'll try to kill you though since he is programmed to win via domination).

Dido is always up to no good in my games. At least with Oda, Bismarck or Caesar Augustus you know they are gonna pile on if you get weak, so you settle defensively, buy tiles, fortify your borders. Dido is usually the backbreaker because you are happily trading, then right when all military task forces are engaged to capacity with another war and your garrisons on her border are empty, elephants spill down from the mountains and flood into your territory.
She's very opportunistic, thats for sure.

Most of the woman in Civ are jerks.

Really, the only sure safeguard against being backstabbed is to have a superior army. If you have a superior army, even the most bloodthirsty AI will not dare to attack you. They will just denounce you again and again while doing nothing about it.

In every single game Rome is on the map they always befriend me and then backstab me
Sometimes more than once per game

Shaka also hates my guts. Although to be fair, he never befriends me - he just attacks me asap

Portugal is the worst from the bunch. Not only does she always try to backstab me, she also steals my territory with great generals when we're at peace

Srry guys, I didnt understand the chart colors, red would demostrate a strong or weak factor of respective aspect?

pachacuti. Is it because of my style of play ? When this guy is in the game, there are ALWAYS troubles. If he is next to me I know I can expect at least two-three wars before ideologies come online.
Oh and Alex is a jerk. Always.

http://i.imgur.com/Hm6la2R.png

Deceptive...

Bismarck, Cathy, Napoleon, Monty, Suleiman, Wu Zetian, Attilla, Dido, Enrico.

You'll also notice many many civs having a 6 there... so they are all quite likely to backstab - with the DoF willingess so high in BNW there will be backstabbing in pretty much every game of higher difficulty..

^ this

What! So I would've been better off by accepting Shaka's DoF?

Ironically, the one Civ I have never had backstab me is Mongolia. Genghis may rape and pillage, but if you get a DoF out of him, he means it.

Genghis doesn't even actually rape and pillage. That's Attila. When Genghis attacks, he aims to keep the cities. He's actually a pretty honorable and straight up kind of guy.

Yep, ol' Temujin did pillage and destroy those who opposed him to inspire fear, but those who submitted to his rule and paid tribute got off fairly well.

Dido, Pachacuti, Harun and Ramesses are the only AIs to have DoWed me in the middle of a DoF, so they get maximum backstab points. Dido has done it twice.

I swear to God, that woman is evil. You'd almost think she'd been modelled on someone's ex-wife :mischief:

This one of those threads we have A LOT.

And invariably, it winds up being easier to figure out the ones least likely to backstab.

Other civ's don't like you. They never like you or want you around. It's all about what they can get out of you.

http://i.imgur.com/Hm6la2R.png

Deceptive...

Bismarck, Cathy, Napoleon, Monty, Suleiman, Wu Zetian, Attilla, Dido, Enrico.

You'll also notice many many civs having a 6 there... so they are all quite likely to backstab - with the DoF willingess so high in BNW there will be backstabbing in pretty much every game of higher difficulty..

Just got backstabbed for the first time in BNW yesterday - first by Monty (very predictably, he'd been shuffling a giant army around for some time), and then by Napoleon (which killed me since my army was away fighting the Aztecs at the time); that also wasn't unexpected but was poor timing and probably not something I could have defended anyway).

Across my games as a whole, Suleiman is definitely the least trustworthy - I can rely on him backstabbing me sooner or later (in my current game Gustavus has warned me that he's plotting against me, although we have a DoF). Bismarck's not far behind in untrustworthiness.

I've never had particular issues with Dido, Wu or Catherine, and who makes friends with Attila anyway?

If you play Prince or higher dificulty levels, my experience almost all civilization can be a back stabber if your army is weak.

Top Bottom