The best city spot ever

Couch Tomato

First Tomato Emperor
(see the attached pic) Has anyone seen a better city spot than this? Surrounded on all sides by resources... I couldn't help but go all the way just to expand to this empty continent!

Though my capital in the same game (Istanbul) didn't come close -- in fact it was as north as possible, all tundra/hills, and snow right above -- it was also pretty awesome due to the fact that it had FIVE sea resources (3 fish and 2 whales) right outside. With a lighthouse and seaport, Istanbul became a monster in every category.

Attachments

• CivVMalatya.jpg
    CivVMalatya.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 1,180
I had a city in my Egypt victory that had 4 iron resources, 3 silver resources, and uranium. It was actually able to produce things in a reasonable time frame. EDIT: Also two cows.

Here's a screenshot. This is from a save way before the modern era; the Uranium is directly adjacent to the city to the northeast, between the two silvers.

Attachments

• Mega Production City.png
    Mega Production City.png
    337.8 KB · Views: 607
I don't have a screen shot, but I started a One City to Rule Them All game as Egypt with a marble resource next to me. The only downside was I wasn't along the coast (so no coastal wonders... I probably should have moved my settler, but I don't normally do it).

Anyways, with a couple SPs in Tradition I was pumping out wonders faster than the base buildings. It was pretty cool to essentially ignore the city's based buildings in favor of wonders for the first half of the game. I won the Cultural victory and by the end of the game I had such a steady stream of great people I was almost constantly in a golden age (it also helped that my city state allies kept giving me mor great people, too). I had 4 Academies, 2 Manufactories, 1 Custom House, and 1 Landmark. ;)

(see the attached pic) Has anyone seen a better city spot than this? Surrounded on all sides by resources... I couldn't help but go all the way just to expand to this empty continent!

Though my capital in the same game (Istanbul) didn't come close -- in fact it was as north as possible, all tundra/hills, and snow right above -- it was also pretty awesome due to the fact that it had FIVE sea resources (3 fish and 2 whales) right outside. With a lighthouse and seaport, Istanbul became a monster in every category.

That could be a great city for a classic one city challenge :)

what map types are you guys playing on?

That particular game was bog-standard. I accidentally hit "Play Now" or whatever instead of setting up a custom game, so I ended up with Egypt on the random civ with a Chieftan/Standard Size/Continents/Standard Speed game with none of the advanced options changed (so the resources are at default).

That's by far the best city spot I've ever encountered, with enough iron to fuel an entire military, plus the silver which made the city a major gold factory too (once I got a mint built). It was pumping out wonders in ~15 turns and was making something like 75 gpt. If I'd thought of it, I would have bought some buildings to get it over 100 for the achievement. May have to go back and do that.

I had an archipelago starting location with two fish, two whales, one pearl, some cattle, and some iron.

The seafood in this game is pretty insane when you get a few together due to the seaport.

Top Bottom