The Broken Bell - Application and Pre-thread

thomas.berubeg

Wandering the World

Consider, then, the fall of the Sorcerer Kings of Ancient Times.

The men of yore were a great people, standing proud above the world. With their noble sorceries, they raised great cities of Iron and glass from the earth, chained the demons of the earth and forests with their great black chains, many of which still crisscross the land, and even conversed with the stars themselves, learning of the Elder wisdoms. Every man and child enjoyed lives akin to that of kins.

Jealously did the vile serpent Petro, he of smoke and poison, lust after the works of man, but in its vile cunning it knew that they were beyond his clawing grasp. And so the demon approached the Black King, the king of all men. Never before had a more noble man, a wiser man, ruled. Thrice, the serpent came, promising riches, knowledge, and power, and thrice the Black King sent him away.

And so the serpent slipped into the King's White Gleaming Palace, darting from shadow to shadow, before coming to the oval room of the Black King's daughters. Rearing over them, he breathed a portion of his noxious self out. The foul miasma coiled, like an oily black smoke, slipping into the lungs of the seven girls.

Where before there had been seven girls full of life and joy and beauty now lay two girls wasting away, sickly and pale. No ball could bring more than a thin, wispy smile to their face, no song could move their feet for more than a few steps. The Black King despaired, calling for doctors from all over the globe, but none could lift the curse upon the seven girls.

Finally, the Serpent returned, offering to lift the curse if only the King would take his counsel. Despairing, the king accepted, and his daughters were returned to their lovely selves, and the seeds of the downfall of man were laid.

From then on, all the works of man were tainted by the foul magics of the Serpent, and slowly it eroded the chains that man had put on the demons of the world. As man grew more and more powerful upon the back of the forbidden knowledge they now bore, so too did evil forces of the world prepare to take them down.

Many of the City-Weavers were corrupted by the subtle whispers of demons, and they worked against their brothers in secret, weaving enchantments that would free Petro's mother, the greatest of the Primeval Serpents, from its icy prison. Of the men unwittingly sworn to Serpent was the Black King, who, with his greatest mastery of the arcane secrets, was named the Witch King. From his steely throne, he turned the magics of mankind against itself.

And so were the works of Mankind undone, in a single day and a single night, she broke her chains, and with Petro and his kin disease and famine and war at her side, consumed the flesh of the cities of man in a great wave. When the waters receded, not one man in a million remained alive.

But as great evil rose, so did a great good. The Witch King, who was once the wisest of all men, had born daughters, and they had born sons. Taking up the ancient weapons of their line, they found and brought heroes from all around the earth. Expending the last magics of the earth, they slew Petro and his Mother, and cut Disease and Famine into pieces so that alone they could not threaten mankind again. Together, they stood against the Witch King, and together they tore down his White Palace, and together they slew him. As the last of the magics of this earth faded, so did the heroes, laying down their swords and passing into the beyond, till such time as they are needed again.

- Excerpt from Lessons in Sin, Book Of The Years.

The Broken Bell will take place nearly a millenia after the fall of the sorcerer kings of yore.

While I intend to accept as many players as I feel I can handle at any one time, there will be an application process wherein I hope that players can work together and with me to create cultures that fit the feel I hope to accomplish within the setting. Ultimately, I hope that we can work together to create a cohesive and interesting universe. I heavily encourage people to work together on applications, so that there IS a sense of coherent narrative.

To apply, simply fill out the below as completely as possible (With great thanks to thy for allowing me to rip him off.)

Themes and Values:
Goals:
Variations:
National Focus:
National Failure:

History: Please describe the historical background for your culture/nation. Bear in mind that it’s been one thousand years since the almost literal end of the world. Time enough for SOMETHING to have risen up and declined again. Additionally, the Sorcerer Kings of old used up most of the accessible non-renewable resources, so things like oil and coal aren’t easy to access with technology equivalent to modern technology. As such, Technology will be kept at some weird hybrid medieval stasis thing, with some exceptions: some advanced states may have electricity on waterways, what with hydroelectrics, while others may have figured out lighter than air flight. However, these are in no way standards.

Themes and Values: Describe the ideals and values that your people prize as important, as well as their taboos. Pretty much anything can go here; pick the ideas that excite you most. You can also talk about government types, religion, and other social structures. You don’t have to name anything IC yet unless you want to. [no limit]

Goals: What are your overarching goals for your people(s)? In a perfect universe, describe how you would like to end politically and culturally, with respect to yourselves and your neighbors. Examples might include dominating the region's trade routes, acquiring immense levels of cultural and religious prestige, or conquering the world. Plans for transitions, collapses or getting conquered by someone also go here. [2-4 sentences]

Variations: Will different cultures emerge from your root culture during this period? If so, what types? Consider hybridization with and influences from your neighbors. No one exists in a vacuum.

National Focus: Everyone wants to be effective at everything, but what are your people best at? [1-2 sentences]

National Failure: What do you see as your people’s greatest weaknesses? [1-2 sentences]

THE WORLD:

The world is similar to ours in terms of climate, though likely quite a bit hotter. I’d imagine the northern areas of the map are tropical, while the southern bits are temperate. The western portions are a series of storm wracked great deserts and plains, while the eastern ocean is theoretically navigable, and some drunken sailors claim to have crossed it to lands on the other side. The people of the known world generally have knowledge of the lands within its bounds, but not much beyond it.

Thick old growth forests cover the less inhabited areas, but farms and settlements dot the areas surrounding denser population areas. The seas are plied by warships and trading ships similar to that of the our middle ages, but a skilled sailor can travel from the far north to the far south without too much difficulty.

The agricultural package is similar to the modern american one, with corn, grain, barley, rice, and potatoes coexisting peacefully.

Last edited:
If you have questions, feel free to post them, or join me on #nes, where I tend to be.

The Faithful of Darnul

We talked about this in chat, you know where I am. I'm going to redo my preferred area a bit, and don't really feel like writing it all up now, but I will in the next few days. Color me excited!

The Ashurai

note = detail pending for most of this, this is just a rough draft thus far. I'll add more detail about social structures, history and the like later on.

1: capital is the red dot with green border, name Avashantar
2: generic red indicates major cities - two to keep in particular note are the twin cities at the southern entrance of the straits (Devantar and Ashurantis). Minor cities, towns and villages are not noted.
3) purple indicates major military installations. IE forts/waypoints. Of interest include the great wall of Avashantar, and the Golden Gate (the twin forts on either side of the straits at their midpoint)

History: After the fall of the philosopher kings, the Ashurai plied the waters and prayed to their gods upon the shores of the Golden Gate (note: the strait leading to the inner sea, called the golden gate due to the wealth that flows through it) in peace, remembering the evil of The Serpent, and the folly of the White King. But in time civilisation rose again and with it the evils it had wrought, and so it was that from the sea-bound isles of Gorgossos an Empire rose and spread out like a foul kraken of the deep upon the shores of the land. In time the Ashurai, though they fought valiantly against their dread foe, fell and were enslaved in great number by the Gorgossi. Under the lash of their masters, the Ashurai toiled in the making of great Avashantar of the golden domes, for the lords of gorgossos desirous of a great testament to their power left its building to those they enslaved. So it was also for the many fortresses that girded the fastnesses of the golden gate by the will of the Lords of Gorgossos, for rich was its Empire and many were the ships that plied the waters unto the inner sea to trade with the nations therein.

The Gorgossi seemed all powerful, and great was the suffering of the people under its yoke. Yet Gorgossos fell further into wickedness, and in their wickedness they became corrupt, decadent, quarrelsome and most of all, vulnerable to those who they had bound in captivity. During this time the Ashurai prayed unto their gods and kept the memory of their ancestors in their squalid huts, lamenting their fate and praying for their future and for the deliverance of their children. Thus it was that heaven looked down upon the righteous Ashurai with favour, and sent forth The Oracle to lead them. Proclaiming the judgement of El Ashai the Lord of Heaven was at hand, and that the sword of Uashantin, God of Righteous War was readied to smite down their ancient enemy, he rallied the Ashurai in a great rebellion by the might of his holy sorceries and rousing of his holy words. Taking swiftly the city of the golden domes which the Ashurai built under the lash of Gorgossos, and putting the wicked Gorgossi to the sword in their debased and wretched palaces. The Oracles victory, inspiring more victories, led others under the lash of Gorgossos to rise in rebellion elsewhere in Gorgossos as the Empire fell to ruin and by the decree of The Oracle all memory of the old masters was expunged from the monuments, and their foul temples were purified and made clean.

It was then that the chiefs of the Ashurai, and the high holy priests took council in the Palace of the Sun, wherein before did the Castellan of Avashantar in the days of Gorgossos hold court. Here they proclaimed that The Oracle was become The Emperor and his scions after him. It was said that they were to rule by the grace of heaven and to be the divine medium between heaven and the Ashurai and that the Ashurai in turn were to keep the ways of heaven and reject all that was impure, mingle not with all the impure races who like the Gorgossi had fallen into darkness and bring order and truth to all the world.

By the Emperors decree, and that of those who took his mantle after him following this divine command, were temples built and public works erected such that the word of the Way of Heaven was spread far and wide, and so that from Avashantar of the golden domes, now called the blessed, a new and holy Empire brought into being would shine like a beacon of light unto all the world. Now, sending forth trading ships to the south and along the northern coasts. Sending forth pioneers into the deep woods of the Great Isle and even unto the storm-wastes of the Serpent Lands, the Empire stands upon the precipice of a new age, expanding even as new barbarian nations in the image of gorgossos, heeding the whispers of the serpent and paying obeisance to false gods emerge to rival the splendour of the sacred and inviolable Empire.

Themes and Values: Government type is Monarchy with theocratic elements (Byzantium?), with actual government function being bureaucratic (ie not feudal). Self-control, martial valour, loyalty to Emperor and nation and intellectual prowess for men are valued, while sexual modesty, motherhood, docility and the stereotypically feminine manner of conduct in general women is fitting with the cultural values of the Ashurai. Piety is expected of all.

Consorting with demons, heresy, apostasy and breaking the usual religious/moral prohibitions of society are taboo, racial miscegenation with dissimilar peoples is also taboo. Magic is practiced as a legacy of the times of the White King, with ancient relics being preserved by the temples, but any and all sorceries invoking the powers below are highly taboo, and the practitioners of the infernal art meet summary execution when they are found.

Religion consists of a pantheon of Celestial gods who are to be worshipped and glorified and an anti-pantheon of demonic entities (the powers below) to be rejected and exorcised.

The Chief God is El Ashai the Lord of Heaven, who's earthly representative is the Emperor.

Beneath him are various lesser gods, the most important of whom are.

Uashantin, god of righteousness and war
Marya, goddess of purity
Edasan, god of invention and scholarship
Linquen, god of liberation and hope
Keristi, the deliverer from evil
Turam, punisher of the wicked

of the powers below, the most despised are

Petaro, The Great Serpent, breaker of the world
Sorosa, The Deceiver
Jergyi, The Tyrant
Sha Tin, The Devourer of Souls..

Goals: Two end goals. The first is the major long term goal. The second is the ongoing goal so to speak.

Order : The Ashurai worldview would like to see the world ordered according to the will and design of the heavenly gods. In practical terms this is to say they wish to see the world united under their religion, (spiritual order) and all humanity united in a hierarchical world order with the god-chosen Ashurai Emperor and Empire at the head (temporal order). This temporal order denotes a stable hegemony and political/religious authority, and does not necessarily entail world conquest.

Trade : The Ashurai Emperors wish to spread their ways abroad and obtain prosperity for their people. As such they wish to dominate maritime trade in order achieve these goals.

Variations: Colonies in the south would likely become politically independent of the main Ashurai polity due to distance. While the taboo against miscegenation would preserve the racial character of these entities (perhaps resulting in a caste society between the natives and the Ashurai colonists), they may culturally diverge (ie transition to republican systems alla venice with the doge, or adopt feudal arrangements or noble oligarchies). Depending on circumstances confederations of Ashurai colony cities may emerge.

National Focus: The national focus of the Ashurai is firstly on culture (ie religion and trade). The secondary focus is on militarily supporting these interests.

National Failure: Religious devotion makes diplomatic relations with powerful infidel nations somewhat difficult.

Last edited:
The Ashurai

note = detail pending for most of this, this is just a rough draft thus far. I'll add more detail about social structures, history and the like later on.

(capital is the red dot, name Avashantar)

History: ~ pending, will wait for other people so I can mesh it in to the greater whole better ~

Themes and Values: Government type is Monarchy with theocratic elements (Byzantium?), with actual government function being bureaucratic (ie not feudal). Self-control, martial valour, loyalty to Emperor and nation and intellectual prowess for men are valued, while sexual modesty, motherhood, docility and the stereotypically feminine manner of conduct in general women is fitting with the cultural values of the Ashurai. Piety is expected of all.

Consorting with demons, heresy, apostasy and breaking the usual religious/moral prohibitions of society are taboo, racial miscegenation with dissimilar peoples is also taboo.

Religion consists of a pantheon of Celestial gods who are to be worshipped and glorified and an anti-pantheon of demonic entities (the powers below) to be rejected and exorcised. (DETAIL PENDING)

Goals: Two end goals. The first is the major long term goal. The second is the ongoing goal so to speak.

Order : The Ashurai worldview would like to see the world ordered according to the will and design of the heavenly gods. In practical terms this is to say they wish to see the world united under their religion, (spiritual order) and all humanity united in a hierarchical world order with the god-chosen Ashurai Emperor and Empire at the head (temporal order). This temporal order denotes a stable hegemony and political/religious authority, and does not necessarily entail world conquest.

Trade : The Ashurai Emperors wish to spread their ways abroad and obtain prosperity for their people. As such they wish to dominate maritime trade in order achieve these goals.

Variations: Colonies in the south would likely become politically independent of the main Ashurai polity due to distance. While the taboo against miscegenation would preserve the racial character of these entities (perhaps resulting in a caste society between the natives and the Ashurai colonists), they may culturally diverge (ie transition to republican systems alla venice with the doge, or adopt feudal arrangements or noble oligarchies). Depending on circumstances confederations of Ashurai colony cities may emerge.

National Focus: The national focus of the Ashurai is firstly on culture (ie religion and trade). The secondary focus is on militarily supporting these interests.

National Failure: Religious devotion makes diplomatic relations with powerful infidel nations somewhat difficult.

Looks good in general... However, the map link is broken, and I can't see where you'll be.

Cooked up a map real quick.

Key:
Purple is full ideal area. Pink is minimum area, and with a few exceptions (like the far western peninsula) the most developed core of the Faithful.
Red are major cities.
Orange are forts maintained by the Fingers, the standing army of the Faithful.

Detailed culture post and full application to come later today, although I believe you have everything you need from me from #nes yesterday.

EDIT:

Started a cultural outline doc: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1QuUx4nFaMZ5Ml9lcKxbiD7VOiBi02DEOVrJTdiQNjJ0/edit?usp=sharing

Last edited:
I rejigged the image to just link to the imgur. In short though its just the area around the other strait between the inner and outer seas. (ie the one on the other side of the island from ork)

I rejigged the image to just link to the imgur. In short though its just the area around the other strait between the inner and outer seas. (ie the one on the other side of the island from ork)
Great! I appreciate it (and I was worried about you overlapping with Ork, but, ya'lls about one thousand miles away from each other!

Concept for approval. Will do map stuff and the full template if this is acceptable.

L'Empisante Reineblanche Esafis (Esafis)

As the mother of Heaven once gave birth to her Son, the World, so too do the Thousand Seas give birth to her many Kingdoms. Over them, She stands, cradling them in Her arms. Under the Empisante Esafis, there are countless tribes, towns, republics, and petty princedoms. The colors of their banners, the scents of their foods, the adornments of their armor, are as varied as the stars in the sky. But all of these threads are unified in the patchwork of L'Empisante, those who have acceded by trade, by arms, or by blood to the Acceptances:

Primer, Acceptance of the Faith of the Dual Union, the duality of existence seen in Mother-Son, Heaven-Earth, Sea-Land. The White Queen and her crown of stars, the World-Conqueror in her hands.

Sekon, Acceptance of the supremacy of the White Queen of Esafis, Mother Speaker of the Holy Faith, and spiritual overseer of all the world, through her Blanchemaids and their spotless marbled churches.

Twazem, Acceptance of the voluntary conscription of the levy to the Haukomand, the chosen sons of the White Queen and commanders of the Diadic Wars. Long in gathering, each generation's Diad brings the pagans to tremble. Through this pageantry of subjugation, we bring wealth, glory, and new subjects for the expansion of L'Empisante to the far corners of the world.

With it, the bonfires of the pagan gods and the sacred speech of Languesante spread as a sign of unity and prosperity among the sujets, free to war and trade and politick as they may, but all under L'Empisante, and the White Queen's watchful eye.

Last edited:
Spoiler my claim :

Our ancestors rose upon columns of fire

With wings of shining silver

The craft-magic of Nyassa

From the land of Cavarel

But this magic was born

From the blood of Petro

Bound to her fate

No longer do we ascend to the heavens

Now Cavarel lies under the sea, far to the south

Every tear we cry, sinks it deeper into the abyss

So cry no more!

For the clans are gathered

The blood is strong

Though we are earth-bound

Our hearts will ascend with wings of shining silver

OOC: MORE TO BE EDITED IN (I'm at 'work' right now)

Last edited:
Spoiler :
Spoiler my claim :

Our ancestors rose upon columns of fire

With wings of shining silver

The craft-magic of Nyassa

From the land of Cavarel

But this magic was born

From the blood of Petro

Bound to her fate

No longer do we ascend to the heavens

Now Cavarel lies under the sea, far to the south

Every tear we cry, sinks it deeper into the abyss

So cry no more!

For the clans are gathered

The blood is strong

Though we are earth-bound

Our hearts will ascend with wings of shining silver

OOC: MORE TO BE EDITED IN (I'm at 'work' right now)
Spoiler :
The Ashurai

1: capital is the red dot with green border, name Avashantar
2: generic red indicates major cities - two to keep in particular note are the twin cities at the southern entrance of the straits (Devantar and Ashurantis). Minor cities, towns and villages are not noted.
3) purple indicates major military installations. IE forts/waypoints. Of interest include the great wall of Avashantar, and the Golden Gate (the twin forts on either side of the straits at their midpoint)

History: ~ pending, will wait for other people so I can mesh it in to the greater whole better ~

Consorting with demons, heresy, apostasy and breaking the usual religious/moral prohibitions of society are taboo, racial miscegenation with dissimilar peoples is also taboo.

Religion consists of a pantheon of Celestial gods who are to be worshipped and glorified and an anti-pantheon of demonic entities (the powers below) to be rejected and exorcised. (DETAIL PENDING)

Alright, now that we have two states in this area, I'm going to present a bit of history that I imagine with this area, and see if you are both alright with this.
Spoiler :

So, I imagine that sometime like 500 years ago rose and fell an ancient empire (which I call in my head Gorgossos) This empire was built on slavery and build a series of monumental works before people their slaves overthrew them in most of the empire. Their capital would have been on the northernmost large island there.

Daft, I imagine they had only peripheral control over the areas you are in. At most extracting tribute and slaves. However, Jehoshua, Since your area controls an important port of access, I'd imagine that Avashantar was either built by them or at least became an important node to them. As such, they likely had significant impact on the history of the Ashurai.

On History: I'm fine with it, I'll fit it in to the history when I get round to doing it.

On the Map: Looks good, but if you could cut off a little bit of the far eastern extension of the Empire (on the main continent) and extend the Ashurai Empire down a little bit along the straits at least to the point where the strait starts to widen that would be ideal.

On History: I'm fine with it, I'll fit it in to the history when I get round to doing it.

On the Map: Looks good, but if you could cut off a little bit of the far eastern extension of the Empire (on the main continent) and extend the Ashurai Empire down a little bit along the straits at least to the point where the strait starts to widen that would be ideal.
Can definitely do that.

Here's a map:

Spoiler :

In indigo: The province of Esafis herself, the Diune City, Mother of Monasteries, Wellspring of the Holy Faith, Seat of L'Empisante. This holy land is a great place of pilgrimage from thousands of miles away, and its festival days are the culmination of the lives of tens of thousands. Founded almost a thousand years prior, her walls of silvered steel are considered unbreachable by the works of man.

In gold: The Holy Enclave of Teredor. The incredible wealth the Church has gained from settling this strait centuries ago, and controlling its trade, has caused the population of Teredor to expand beyond that of Esafis herself, and it has even threatened to eclipse the Diune City at times. As a result of this power, the Archmaiden of Teredor has a measure of autonomy from Esafis, and great influence in the White Queen's councils. The position is often given to favored daughters of the White Queen to prevent civil war.

In red: The main faith-fortresses and monasteries of the Blanchemaids cling to the isles and coasts of the great seas. In the dark times before the rise of L'Empisante, and even today in times of feudal civil war and strife, these wooded islands offer excellent protection. Sheltered bays and hidden underground entrances often provide additional protection from pirates, although Esafis itself maintains several squadrons of warships which patrol the seas, and there are rumors the Blanchemaids protect their keeps with magic and other lost arts as well.

There's a place, boy, where the world hits its edge. Great stone walls 'n gnashin teeth'at chew at the meat o' the dyin' sun itself.

That's the land o'our most ancient forefathers. We set east, following the young sun. Long years we rode, ere we first set our eyes 'pon the sea.

There, at the tip of the Great Green, three worlds met, those o' grass, tree and water. The Vannabeggars and their cities on the water fell to our fifth and sixth great grandsires. It was there that our kin first learned to exchange between the steeds of the grass and the steeds of the water.

It was in the reign of the Great King Osker the First that we Machermen crossed the Kenner's Maze in force, and seized the Mesher city of Laghed, our first fortress on the Great Blue. From Laghed, we grew ever across the Great Blue, our seasteeds carrying us further and further afield.

Here, we found people far beyond the Meshermen of the near coast. First among them were the Savers, the men and women who first revealed to us the Dual God. Some times we warred with them, and made their cities ours. Others we traded and lived in peace. Yet try as they might, the savers would find us machermen difficult to tame. They contented themselves with distant and loose rule. But we... we built kingdoms.

I anticipate a lot of interaction and overlap between Thlayli's and my areas, so there's probably a lot of very interesting stuff going on at the interface of Esafisien (Saver) and Machermen culture.

The faint yellow aura represents areas of some influence and fairly regular sailing by Macher sailors, isolated spots of yellow represent either Macher settlements or cities where they have significant presence, the large yellow region is the homeland of the Machermen of the Great Blue, while the Mac and Rander Kingdoms are loose entities founded by migrants and adventurers leaving the Macher coast and overthrowing local Meshermen and Yoper states, establishing themselves as a new ruling class.

Edit: for a map, see my post on the next page

Figured I should post this so other people can see my general preferred geographic claim. Vienvenido is associated with L'Empisante. Will have my actual application up soon.

Last edited:
Top Bottom