The Broken Bell - Application and Pre-thread

Britain and the old world are radically different from the Americas, especially when it comes to racial attitudes. Distinction is a possibility, but I truly mean no offense when I say that I don't know if you understand how this stuff works. Furthermore, I think the assertion that minorities would stop in the Gorgossi area is ludicrous, and I would encourage you to look at the Great Migrations of the 19th and 20th centuries as to why. Furthermore, in the fictional context of this world, as urban areas flood I think a mass migration out of them is likely. I also think that assuming this migration would be limited to "white anglos" is absurd and insensitive. Additionally, while you mention that many of these concentrated areas of minority residence are separated on the current map from your lands, this (according to the nature of the setting) was not always true. And even then, people are smart. Boats aren't hard.

I think another major consideration with regard to the difference between old and new world is the tendency for population to move. I don't have statistics, but I'm sure you realize that the myopically focused peasant villages where this ethnic microcosms you cited emerge are fundamentally different than mass and mobile populations in the wake of great disasters. To say nothing of being direct subject to a slaving empire, when empires are known for population movement...

The point I'm trying to make is I don't think you understand how this stuff works in a very highly diverse American context (sure, Missouri might be 85% white, but the states south of it sure aren't - and especially given the waterway location, when those people come north they're going to nestle right in) and that the Old World whiteness you describe and seem to want is essentially impossible in that same context. I'm not a mod, but I just wanted to make the voice of a fellow player heard.

Typed on my phone immediately after waking, so I apologize for grammar errors, formatting errors, etc.

This is a good view of the demographic realities.

Edit: And, honestly, why does race matter on any level?

Last edited:
At some point there was a significant influx of Spanish speakers into the Kebessi population, hence the noticeable differences from the Languesante of the Kwa. They are both probably equally influenced by English, but I suspect in different ways. I'm thinking of calling the language spoken in Vienvenido, Palesca and the colonies the Linguasiera.

And, honestly, why does race matter on any level?

It would just mean that the kind of interactions I panned out with the neighbours wouldn't have any grounding in reality and I would have to tender another angle. Obviously word of god trumps all so its not like I will make a fuss over it, after all I have already made my argument with evidence supporting its feasibility rather than just my own impressions and biases so going any further would be meaningless.

It would just mean that the kind of interactions I panned out with the neighbours wouldn't have any grounding in reality and I would have to tender another angle. Obviously word of god trumps all so its not like I will make a fuss over it, after all I have already made my argument with evidence supporting its feasibility rather than just my own impressions and biases so going any further would be meaningless.

I mean, it IS possible that your natives look different than, for example, the Gorgossi (who I do imagine were once migrants up from the Caribbean/Texas/Mexico/Mississippi,) or even the people up river.

Alright, everyone! Please have your submissions done within the next week, and we can get started.

Again, I'm often in #nes if you want to discuss and chat.

Liquor:

The Faithful have inherited or rediscovered a number of ancient technologies and processes. Perhaps the most beloved of these across the known world is the distillery.

Liquor is a vital export. Faithful liquors and brews are much higher in alcohol content, and when not stronger, finer, than the spirits produced elsewhere in the world. Since the basic materials for production are obtained (generally) from within Faithful lands, the region imports some varieties of alcohol, mainly grape wine from the Cotton Kings and the grains to make beer from the lake peoples. However, there are apples and berries aplenty in Yan Gi lands, and these are the bases for the majority of Faithful liquors.

There are four major liquor manufacturers: Winam, Hen Don, Xen (pronounced “shen”) Ta Di, and Mahang. Winam is located on the tip of the peninsula west of the Hen Don, Hen Don is located at the mouth of the eponymous river, Xen Ta Di is located around the narrows of the upper Hen Don, and Mahang lies in the city from which it takes its name (in the deep past, Mahag).

Each are specialized in slightly different products. Winam is by far the highest quality producer of the lot, and is known for grape wines, fine and fiery apple and berry liquors, not to mention excellent potato vodka. Winam products are incredibly strong, and little weaker than wine is produced. Bottles of Winam apple brandy are found and savored as far away as the Macher lords, and beyond. Savored is the operative word here, as Winam products are priced as their quality demands. However, this is the drink of the elite across the Faithful trade networks.

Hen Don produces products of a much wider range of quality. Additionally, it is far larger, and outclasses the production of the other distilleries by an order of magnitude. This is in large part due to the management of several different plants dedicated to distilling, whereas most of the other producers only manage a single site. Hen Don, like Winam, specializes in potato, apple, and berry based products. However, in addition to berry wines and strong apple liquors, they are known for their softer ciders. Hen Don dominates the Faithful domestic market, and, due to the volume of production combined with the decent quality, is a high alcohol content staple in taverns and drinking halls across the known world. Also due to volume of production, Hen Don has longer reach, and some bottles might reach even the Ashurai, on occasion.

Xen Ta Di, on the upper Hen Don, is a smaller distillery. They make some high alcohol content products, but these are of a markedly lower quality compared to the output of Winam and Hen Don. They are best known, and most popular, for their beer. The location of the distillery and the associated breweries allow them access to the stream of grain imports from the lake region, and the weaker, bitter taste of Xen Ta Di beers assures them a place in the Faithful palate, as well as abroad. The comparatively low cost for their more alcoholic selection also means that they are popular in the export market.

Mahang does not make much profit in the domestic market. Their appeal lies abroad. Mahang is not a proper distillery: mostly, they are a brewery, and make beers and ciders. However, in the winters, the Mahang facilities devote themselves to a singular purpose. Cider, made over the rest of the year, is put in troughs in the cold, where, through the process of ice distillation, it is “refined” into a fierce applejack branded as Mahang Pai, or Mahang Fire. This low quality but respectably alcoholic drink is cheap and widely available, and while it is considered low class and inferior (and rightly so!) by the Faithful market, it sells like… well… wildfire on the Lakes.

Liquors from all distilleries are usually sold in clear or brown-tinted glass bottles, with the insignia of the producer appearing as part of the mold. Paper labels are also used, especially by the higher-end distilleries, and some specific high-end Winam products use cloth or other branded accoutrements to further distinguish their fine work from that of baser make.

I'm going to get started on update 0 over the course of this week, and will be accepting signups until that is done. I know some people have expressed interest.

As always, I'm on #nes

Top Bottom