The Cold War II - Development Diary Thread

JPetroski

Deity
SLeague Staff
With the release of ToTPP v0.18, which includes substantially more unit slots and technology slots, as well as the progression of Prof. Garfield's excellent lau template (and my own growing confidence in using the system), I've decided to go back and rework my Cold War scenario.

In the playtest thread for the old scenario I had shown this, which was a proposed unit list. @typhoon353 had some good suggestions, which I figure I should respond to here, probably a little later today as I'm just at lunch now. For now, let's chat a bit about the concept and how it is different from my first attempt.

Edit - taking out the original unit list as it has been updated.

One thing I really want to add in this is an enhanced diplomacy model that attempts to solve some of the issues with the playtest. For example, as America, I found myself gallivanting about with my fleet, basically playing "whack a mole," to an extent far larger than the military budget or American people would ever stand for. I want to keep the action going from the start of the scenario, but I'm exploring ways to make it more realistic and meaningful.

One such way I intend to do this is with heavy use of the counters system in lua. I intend to have a counter classification which measures a new "mana" (such as shields, money, science) that I am calling, "prestige." The basic idea being, the things you do in this game, the choices you make, and the results of those choices, all affect the prestige of your nation. Nations with high prestige will get certain bonuses, and nations with low prestige will have maluses. Prestige will likely be something that can also be "spent" to acquire more alignment without the need to fire shots, in certain cases. Basically, some minor nations may choose to follow you simply because you are so awesome. As part of this, I'll assign leaders to various minor sub-civs, so that certain nations are harder to align than others with prestige (read: cost more) and others might be impossible (America is not politically aligning Cuba after Castro comes to power). On that note, perhaps America is aligning no one politically once the Communists come to power, hence the need to wage these proxy wars in the first place to avoid domino theory.

As America, ways to increase prestige might be:

1. Waging a successful war/proxy war against the Communists (this will likely require scripted "requirements" for what constitutes a victory vs. a defeat;

2. Successfully navigating the civil rights issues of the period.

3. Being the first to land on the Moon.

Failing these tests would decrease your prestige.

I do think this system is more or less "useable" by the AI, though of course they'll have no idea they're using it and it will require hefty use of probability rolls. A major design goal for this scenario is to have a seamless SP/MP experience so anything I implement needs to either be useable by the AI or "scriptably engaging" at least.

More to come later...

Last edited:
Perhaps you should consider giving the major powers a "political capital" count. This would represent the effort that leaders would put into avoiding electoral defeat or coups. If all else fails, the player could direct money that could otherwise be used for foreign policy to pay off supporters. I'm not sure what kind of punishment to suggest for not having enough political capital.

This would give the player some reasons for not always acting in the best geopolitical interest of his country, and for not sacrificing certain territories (e.g. Hong Kong) to further diplomatic goals. You could also vary the costs of certain actions between games, so there is always some doubt as to how committed a player is to certain actions. And, it would give you a way to tweak costs on a player by player basis.

On the other hand, this sort of system might just be too complicated for the good that it would do..

Also, let me know if you need help using the context module. In the template's LuaDocumentation folder, there is a small usage example in a zip file.

I certainly want to represent the politics of various countries (the anti-war movement in the United States, particularly) and your idea is a pretty good way of doing it that translates to all countries rather than making someone learn a whole new set of rules for each country they play. I was thinking prestige is more for how the world views you, but political capital could be the power you have to actually enforce your will.

Really, the United States should not be openly committing its own units to more than perhaps 2 proxy conflicts at once, and 2 is pushing realism as it is. With that said, the CIA (via prestige or what not) can have its hands in more buckets.

- First instinct would be to move the Mirage 2000 into Jet Fighter VI to replace the Gripen and fill its spot with the Tornado ADV; this would better align both contemporaneously and in respective roles with their Soviet and US counterparts: the Mirage 2K as a late-70s/early 80s light multi-role like the F-16 and MiG-29, and the Tornado ADV as a long-range interceptor like the F-14 and MiG-25. Gripen, like the Rafale, first flew in the late 1980s and could conceivably have entered service during the scenario's time frame, but is a bit of a stretch. If you want to keep some Swedish flavour, Draken in Jet Fighter III to replace the Mirage III or Viggen in IV to replace the Mirage F1 could work as substitutes.

-I'll move the Mirage 2000 into Jet Fighter VI and add the Tornado ADV.

- On that note, while I am extremely loathe to part with the Tomcat, having the F-14 might be redundant now that you are making a distinction between fleet defence and land-based interceptors. Although it ended up being the much more capable and versatile aircraft, the F-15 was initially intended to be the US' response and counterpart to the MiG-25 in the latter role, taking over from the likes of the F-106. Its place in Jet Fighter VII could be filled by the YF-22 if you want to be unsporting and give the Yanks an even more superlative advantage.

From my reading the F-15 was basically a totally over-engineered response to the MiG-25, right? And then the Soviets came out with the Su-27 as almost an answer to it? I think the YF-22 is too far beyond the scenario's timeframe. The Rafale I think was pushing it/past it but I believe I saw it came out in the mid 90s.

However, I think Jet Fighter VI and VII are basically going to be available at the same time. People will have to choose (at least until they research both) which path they go down (almost like choosing between a Panther or Tiger in my Hinge of Fate) - do you want the overengineered and expensive F-15/Su-27/Rafale or would you prefer the cheaper and still-better-than-earlier-jets F-16, MiG-29, Mirage 2000?

- As a propeller-driven aircraft, the A-1 Skyraider properly belongs in Jabo I with the Il-10 and Tempest rather than the early jets of Jabo II, though I'm more than happy with the A-26 taking its place as well - Skyraider should be with Corsair and Firefly in Early Naval Jabo any way :nono:

I'd have to get rid of my darling Corsair but the Skyraider makes more sense - I'll move that one to Early Naval Jabo. Guess I'll have to make that Pacific campaign so I can get CT's state warbird back in a scenario some day.

- For Jabo II, since you have a light bomber (Il-28) for the Soviets, I think Canberra for the Europeans and B-57s for the Americans might be a better fit as well. All three were exported and used quite extensively by client states too.

Done.

- Jabo III - supersonic late-60s land-based Jaguar would be more of a contemporary for the Thud and Su-17 than the late-70s transsonic carrier-based Super Etendard of which only 80 or so were made

- Jabo IV - it also seems a bit strange to go from the Mach 1+ Thunderchief and Su-17 to the heavily-armoured turbofan A-10 and Su-25. If you have the space, suggest shuffling off the Warthog, Grach and Harrier to their own late-game Close Air Support category with special properties like anti-tank capability and ruggedness, while filling Jabo IV with the F-111, Su-24 and Tornado IDS for SEAD/deep penetration strike.

This should be doable and given initiateCombat I can definitely give them better properties such as AT capability.

- You may wish to give the aircraft that historically played or were designated for the "Wild Weasel" mission like the F-105, F-111, Su-24, and Tornado a boost when targeting SAMs

Good idea - they can handle the static AA (which I think should be a SAM site in this scenario - you're right).

- This is a tricky one. Strategic Bomber I seems to be prop-driven, and historically the last one used by the RAF was the Lincoln. But while it saw quite extensive service in colonial conflicts, it could hardly be said to be in the same category as the B-29, yet alone the B-36 or Tu-95, and while it might theoretically have been possible, never carried a nuclear weapon. Valiant and the other V-bombers were also much closer in range, payload, and overall performance to the Tu-16 than any of the US heavies.

My own inelegant solution around this would be to make a generic strategic bomber unit using the B-29 graphic for the Soviets/Europeans (representing the Tu-4 Bull/ leased B-29/50s), while the Yanks get the much better B-36 as a special unit and reward for having developed a plane to bomb Germany from North America before the war ended, then rework Strategic Bomber I-III like thus:

- B-47 Stratojet - Tu-16 Badger - Valiant
- B-52 Stratofortress - Tu-95 Bear/M-4 Molot - Vulcan
- B-1 Lancer (B-58 Hustler would also work) - Tu-22 Blinder/Tu-22M Backfire - Mirage IV

This way the Soviets and Europeans get the chance to catch up in later tiers.

Well I have a standard "strat bomber" that is basically the B-29 but would represent the Lincoln and Tu-4 as well. If there's space, having the B-36 would be cool, if there isn't, maybe I just replace it with the B-47? Even with 189 units, there's a limit (unless I feel like employing my lua-recycling method, but honestly, I'm hoping to have just one rules file here).

- If the generic Stealth Bomber isn't already one, Americans should get the F-117 Nighthawk as a late-game special unit to bomb Saddam with :bump:

That would be the generic one, most likely.

- No objections except possibly the T-64 - the T-62 was produced and exported in much larger numbers, while the former, while far ahead of its time, was really too expensive and complex for the Soviets to build in any great numbers (relatively speaking - they still built over 13,000 of the things). Perhaps make it a much costlier special unit the Soviets can unlock at Tank III alongside the T-62, to give the player the choice of churning out as many as possible and invading the West there and then while the USSR still has the advantage of superior tanks, or possibly going bankrupt even faster than historically. Once the US/Europeans hit Tank IV and V, this dynamic should reverse as superior Western electronics and armour start to tell.

We have art for both so the T-62 is fine if that is the better choice but perhaps the T-64 would be a good "unique" unit if it had that big of an advantage early on, and just have them both available at the same time as you suggested.

- If you have the space, I'd move AH-64 and Mangusta to Choppers III and give the Soviets the Ka-50 or Mi-28 as well. If chopper units are meant to represent attack helicopters exclusively rather than serve as an abstract for heliborne infantry in general, AH-1 Cobra and Gazelle may be more suitable than the Huey and Lynx in Choppers II alongside the Mi-24 Hind. Depending on when Choppers I is meant to be unlocked by the player, this could be filled by the H-19/H-34, Mi-4 and Alouette III (early 50s-60s) or UH-1, Mi-8 and Puma (early to late 60s.)

Well, the reason I picked the ones I did for chopper I was because they all seemed to have the capability to airlift in infantry. Chopper II is more of an attack chopper. I don't know that I'll have the space to get everything I want with these but I was thinking since the Soviets had such a vast helicopter fleet maybe they'd get a better one as a special unit, such as the Ka-50.

- If you don't go through with your idea of replacing the three Special Forces units with a generic one, I'd recommend using the Army Special Forces (Green Berets) instead of the SEALs - the former were established earlier and more closely fit the original Cold War mission of Special Forces in counter-revolutionary warfare (which include training and advisory of local forces) or "active measures" as the Soviets called it, than the contemporary Navy SEALs who are much more prominent in the kinetic role that we associate with Special Forces since the War on Terror. If the Special Forces units are meant to work with the new terrorism mechanics and represent the governmental response to the surge in activity in the 1970s and 80s, you can more specifically use Delta Force for the US and Group Alpha for the USSR, which were the dedicated CT units stood up by both nations. For the Europeans, Andy McNab's mob works for either purpose :ar15:

I think with all your other suggestions I'm going to have to axe the unique special forces units, unfortunately.

- I'd definitely hate to be the poor b*stard who has to go up in a Sea Harrier or the even more hopeless Forger against an F/A-18 :shake: But since both were actually pressed into the fleet defense role this is absolutely accurate - its hardly the USN' fault they're the only ones with supercarriers. The unit stats should reflect this mogging.

You know, I didn't realize that only the United States had nuclear powered carriers at the time. I see France eventually built one but it probably makes sense that they get this special unit. Having the Soviets and Europeans rely on the conventional carrier will save a unit slot.

If you want to level the playing field, you can give the Europeans the Rafale instead and put the Eurofighter in Fighters VII, while the Soviets can get the Su-33. If you want to squeeze the F-14 back in here, you can create a new category of Naval Jabos and put the F/A-18 here with the Forger and Sea Harrier.

I originally was trying to give everyone the same stuff but it might be more fun if each of the big three had a distinctive advantage in "something," so I don't think I necessarily need to even things out. The US, by geography, needs their super carrier and naval aviation arm to project power. I'm still thinking about what the others are. From a gameplay perspective, having those S-300's as payload nuclear weapons that are invisible until attack will mean that the U.S. is going to have to scour to find them, and they can move around. The U.S. on the other hand will need to keep their ICBM and MRBM in known cities, so only 2/3 of the triad is mobile as opposed to 3/3 for the Soviets. That could get interesting in first strike calculations.

- For the Soviet special units, S-300 or some other sophisticated air defence system would definitely be an ideal counter to American air superiority. Another option would be the Kirov-class large nuclear powered missile cruisers which were scary enough to make Reagan bring the Iowa-class BBs back into service. Maybe also a cheap missile boat to stop all that battleship spam that the playtesters were complaining about

I mean if the Kirov-class was interesting enough was there any European missile cruiser that would be comparable? Just asking because I already have the Ticonderoga Class as a unique unit (mainly for my affinity with the town), so if the Kirov class is there too I might as well make this one of the "The Big 3 each get one."

- Exocet is a good choice and definitely has a lot of brand recognition, though I'd say that's largely due to Falklands being overly-represented in the popular consciousness - there were plenty of equivalently deadly anti-shipping missiles around like the American Harpoon, Chinese Silkworm, and Israeli Gabriel. Given the diversity of nations that the European civ is supposed to represent, one option could be to use the spare slots for flavour units (e.g. a cheap Bundeswehr/Euro conscript army unit you get as a bonus for the decision to rearm West Germany or forming NATO, a mountain/arctic infantry for aligning Norway, or maybe even continued access to colonial troops if you manage to hang on to your possessions)

Yeah, I need to think about that European one more. Giving them access to diverse infantry is fine so long as those infantry are better at something than everyone else's, otherwise they get the short end of the stick.

- Might want to rename Stinger to something generic like AA Missile or MANPAD to cover earlier or equivalent missiles like the Strela, Blowpipe, Redeye etc

Done.

- RPGs (the bane of my playthroughs) seem to be much more powerful and decisive than their real-life record would suggest, being able to clear out entire cities, kill aircraft and ships in port - maybe to reflect this, they could be replaced by mortars, another insurgent favorite?

I could probably tone them down a little too - we'll have to see how prestige and such play out in terms of how many of these units are out there.

- Some suggestions for units to flesh their tech trees out - the suggestion that they be weaker than the equivalent Western/Eastern units at comparable levels is a good one:

- Type 69 - Chinese Tank III. Type 85 can be in Tank V. If there is space, you could squeeze the Type 79 or 80 in Tank IV.
- Q-5 Fantan - Chinese Jabo III.
- JH-7 - Chinese Jabo IV.
- J-10 - Chinese Jet Fighter VI or VII. J-8 should be in IV.
- WZ-9 - Chinese Chopper II or III
- Vijayanta - Indian Tank III. Arjun should be Tank V; if there is space, Vijayanta Mk1B/C in IV
- Ajeet - Indian Jet Fighter III. HF-24 Marut can be Jabo III
- Tejas - Indian Jet Fighter VI

It mostly comes down to what art is available. There's nowhere near enough spaces to have more than 1-2 new units for each of these tribes and the "gimmick" behind both of them is that they need to procure favor/weapons from patrons, but depending on what there is, I'd like to give them each one more "home grown" unit. I don't know that they necessarily need to be the same type of unit. One could have a helicopter, another could have a fighter or bomber. We'll see.

Here's the revised list...

Note:
-I got rid of "astronaut" as "space ship" is perfectly fine for what I need it to do (go to the moon). Astronaut is just a waste of a unit.
-I forgot I was missing simple artillery so I added that.
-I just made a special "advanced warship" slot - Europe's doesn't necessarily need to be a missile cruiser if you have another suggestion.
-I have a "TBD" for one more European unit
-I am presently leaving room for 4 new Non-Aligned/Chinese units.
-I went ahead and moved their tanks/aircraft to "special unit" just to clean things up since it's not really meant to align with Jets 1 - 7 so much as just being home-grown aircraft.
-I have destroyer/cruiser in bold. Right now there are unique art for each for Pro-West/East but they're the likely chopping block. Given there's already a missile cruiser maybe it doesn't even really make sense to have a true cruiser during the timeframe... Didn't most navies move to call their ships "destroyers" which weren't really aligned that well with what I might consider a WW2 destroyer to look like? I could use advice on this. Anyway, getting rid of the unique art and going generic would free up 2 more slots. As of right now, I'm maxed out.
-Also note that I've decided to combine AWACS/Fueling Tanker as "Support Air."
-Finally, note that the diplomat is a special keystroke unit rather than a traditional "spy" that is meant to help build up prestige, but, I might not need it in the actual game if there's a need for another slot.

Thus, it looks like I have 6 "TBD" slots to fill (2x Europe, 2x China, 2x India) and potentially could fill up a further 3 slots if there is a good need.

upload_2022-2-7_17-41-8.png

Just going through things a little bit more (and reading through The Atlantic and Its Enemies) and I think the other European special unit might indeed be the Bundeswehr. German rearmament might be a good side mission (really, restoring the West German economy should be a major objective of the Europeans). This is a 4th infantry for the Europeans but I figure I'll make it have stronger stats than their standard infantry, marines, or paratroops, but not have any of the perks of the marine or paratroops. So, it'll be the best "infantry" unit in the game from a pure A/D standpoint but won't be able to paradrop or attack from the sea. I put "infantry" in quotes since it really is meant to represent Germany's military contribution, period, after it is brought back to life, so to speak.

Another question, again dealing with the ships... But Kirov is a BC and Ticonderoga is an AEGIS cruiser. Having them be "advanced warships" is fine... But in terms of the destroyers/cruisers, perhaps instead of having an eastern and western flavor to each, I should simply have different ship classifications (perhaps a distinction between DE and DD, as well as a distinction between CA and CLG)?

That would leave "the standard" surface battle fleet available to all as:

Corvette (at start)
Frigate (at start)
Destroyer Escort (at start)
Destroyer (probably would research this)
Cruiser (at start)
Missile Cruiser (research)
Battleship (at start)
Carrier (at start)

With the US getting AEGIS cruisers, the USSR getting the Kirov, and the Europeans getting..... I really don't know.

Unless someone thinks there's something missing?

From my reading the F-15 was basically a totally over-engineered response to the MiG-25, right? And then the Soviets came out with the Su-27 as almost an answer to it? I think the YF-22 is too far beyond the scenario's timeframe. The Rafale I think was pushing it/past it but I believe I saw it came out in the mid 90s.

However, I think Jet Fighter VI and VII are basically going to be available at the same time. People will have to choose (at least until they research both) which path they go down (almost like choosing between a Panther or Tiger in my Hinge of Fate) - do you want the overengineered and expensive F-15/Su-27/Rafale or would you prefer the cheaper and still-better-than-earlier-jets F-16, MiG-29, Mirage 2000?

Fair enough - my rationale for the F-22 was that it was the first US supermanoeuvrable fighter like the Su-27 and Rafale, and like the latter first flew in prototype form just before the end of the Cold War in 1990, and so could conceivably have come into service earlier had it been made a higher priority.Giving the player the option to decide whether to go for a "hi" or "lo" mix of fighters would be interesting.

I mean if the Kirov-class was interesting enough was there any European missile cruiser that would be comparable? Just asking because I already have the Ticonderoga Class as a unique unit (mainly for my affinity with the town), so if the Kirov class is there too I might as well make this one of the "The Big 3 each get one."

European countries never really built large surface combatants in the guided missile age like the US and Soviets did - most of them had gun cruisers left over from the Second World War which were eventually retired without replacement. The closest the RN ever had to a guided missile cruiser was the HMS Bristol which was cancelled after one example.

What many European navies did focus on during the Cold War, due to the experience of the Battle of the Atlantic and the Soviet strength in submarines, was anti-submarine warfare, which became a specialty for the RN and Marina Militare in particular. You could give the Europeans a helicopter cruiser unit to represent the likes of the Italian Andrea Doria and Vittorio Veneto classes or the French Jeanne d'Arc, with an ASW bonus - this should complement the Ticonderoga's AEGIS anti-air specialization and the Kirovs' advantage against other surface ships with its Granit cruise missiles. One issue was that this type of vessel wasn't exactly unique to European navies as the Soviet Navy had the very similar Moskva-class helicopter carriers.

Another option would be a STOVL-type aircraft/helicopter carrier like the Invincibles, Giuseppe Garibaldi or Principe de Asturias - these were also intended primarily for the ASW mission but could also stage Sea Harriers. Not sure if you would want to give the ability to attack submarines to the ships themselves or make an ASW helicopter specifically to be carried by them though, which would take up an additional unit slot.

Corvette (at start)
Frigate (at start)
Destroyer Escort (at start)
Destroyer (probably would research this)
Cruiser (at start)
Missile Cruiser (research)
Battleship (at start)
Carrier (at start)

Frigate and Destroyer Escort are pretty much the same thing - the latter was used by the US to describe smaller escort vessels until they switched to frigate in 1975 to match international terminology, while larger "Destroyer Leaders" were re-rated as cruisers to close a perceived gap with the Soviets who used the term more liberally.

Aside from the nuclear propulsion, the big development during the Cold War was the switch from guns and torpedoes to guided missiles - one way to model this would be to start everyone off with WW2-era destroyers and DEs, cruisers and BBs, which would give way to smaller but more potent guided missile frigates, destroyers and cruisers.

What many European navies did focus on during the Cold War, due to the experience of the Battle of the Atlantic and the Soviet strength in submarines, was anti-submarine warfare, which became a specialty for the RN and Marina Militare in particular. You could give the Europeans a helicopter cruiser unit to represent the likes of the Italian Andrea Doria and Vittorio Veneto classes or the French Jeanne d'Arc, with an ASW bonus - this should complement the Ticonderoga's AEGIS anti-air specialization and the Kirovs' advantage against other surface ships with its Granit cruise missiles. One issue was that this type of vessel wasn't exactly unique to European navies as the Soviet Navy had the very similar Moskva-class helicopter carriers.

This is a great idea - it has also reminded me that given the subs may well be under water, I'm going to need a way for units to attack them. Most likely I should use a key press where if a sub is in the vicinity, it takes damage, rather than using another slot for a munition. Perhaps these helicopter cruisers would have a larger radius than, say, the ASW planes I have.

The big trick is going to be getting the AI to use it as well but given "onActivate" works each space for both the AI and human, I could see it working like this (for all ASW stuff):

When the ASW isHuman:

-ASW moves a tile, "detects" a submarine in range. Pop up box: "We have detected a Soviet submarine nearby. Should we attack?" If the player presses "Yes," then a dice roll determines how much damage is inflicted on the sub. Certain units do better (so the Europeans would have the best chance of killing it).

When the ASW is not human

-ASW moves a tile, detects a sub in range, and depending on the diplomacy between the two civs (i.e. is there an active war?) the attack either occurs or not, with the same dice roll.

Aside from the nuclear propulsion, the big development during the Cold War was the switch from guns and torpedoes to guided missiles - one way to model this would be to start everyone off with WW2-era destroyers and DEs, cruisers and BBs, which would give way to smaller but more potent guided missile frigates, destroyers and cruisers.

So if I have this plus the 4 special naval units (Kirov, Ticonderoga, Helicopter Cruiser, and Supercarrier) I actually save one unit slot (which perhaps turns into that ASW helicopter Europe needs). Right now I was planning on having Ticonderoga and Kirov fire the generic "missile" unit as ranged attack units. I supposed the missile frigates could fire 1, the destroyers 1(vet), the cruiser 2, the Ticonderoga and Kirov 2(vet) or some combo like that.

upload_2022-2-8_9-57-8.png

Why in your list for a scenario spanning up to 1991 the Panavia Tornado is missing ?

Tornado.gif

Last edited:
It's not - in fact it's in there twice - the fighter version and ground attack version :)

Edit - I took out the initial unit list now that there's an updated one a few lower.

Sorry, I have overseen this in your list.

Sorry, I have overseen this in your list.
If you just looked at the first one, it wasn't in there, but @typhoon353 corrected me and so now I've included it. Much of the fun with building this scenarios is learning about new stuff and the Tornado hasn't got much fanfare over here in my lifetime though I see it was a very important type :)

The image didn't load for me when I first saw this but I do think that's one of the prettier animated units you've posted thus far!

This is another converted Civ 3 unit from AnthonyBoscia´s great scenario "The Third World War 1989" about a fictive conflict between the NATO and the WP. Here is the link as this "monstrous" scenario could hold an additional inspiration for you: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/the-third-world-war-1989.540844/

I needed some minutes to convert it from pcx to gif with animation shop, so when I wrote my post it was not attached to it. It´s a pity that until now nobody found a way that a defending animated Civ 2 ToT sprite can fire back in a combat.

edit: Here is a shot down Mig 21:

Mig21Death.gif

Last edited:
Here's my first stab at the units less a few that I am getting some help with. Note that I've made some significant changes...

1. We now have the naval lineup discussed earlier (WW2 destroyer, WW2 cruiser, missile frigate, missile destroyer, missile cruiser, special ships, battle ship, carrier, supercarrier, all the nuclear subs.

2. I decided to get rid of the APC and just have a unique IFV for the Big 3. I figure there's not that much of a difference (in Civ2) between an APC and an IFV. I'll have the IFV able to carry infantry and to get an attack bonus against infantry.

3. I swapped an F4U-4 for the A-26 because I like the F4U4 better and it is more comparable to both the Tempest and frankly the Il-10 than the A-26 was.

4. I decided to have the ASW aircraft, Mobile AA, and Mobile artillery all be a generic unit - I couldn't justify a need for each of the Big 3 to have their own. The Soviets get some extra mobile artillery (Katyusha and SCUD) which should give them an artillery advantage.

5. You'll note the Non-Aligned is now represented by multiple countries spanning 3 continents. They no longer have "paratroops" or "marines" but I might just let all of these units do all of those things (well, certainly marine capabilities - possibly paradrop). These now more or less represent the militaries of India, Indonesia, Sudan, Egypt, Iraq, Angola, Saudi Arabia, and Columbia. They'll be more powerful than any of the Pro-East/West rebels in an area, and should give the Non-Aligned an advantage in keeping these lands their own. I've also included the Arjun, so they can eventually get a tank, and the Marut (which will be a fighter bomber per @typhoon353 's suggestion). I have requested help getting the Tejas, so they have a very good (if a bit ahistorical) fighter that they can eventually develop as well. Finally, I'm giving them the Osa II small missile ship. This will probably be faster than any other ship in the game to set it apart from others. I'm hoping that the addition of all these units gives the Non-Aligned a style all of its own.

6. China now has the ability to develop their own high-level unit set. It isn't as expansive as the Big 3, and will come later in the game, but they have access to 2x tanks, 2x fighters, 1x jabo, 1x helicopter, and a 1x helicopter missile destroyer (much like Europe's). While they don't get as many units as the Non-Aligned, they have a better overall set up. I might give them access to some good wonders as well to further differentiate them.

upload_2022-2-8_22-34-8.png

Just a quick update... I've been working on the tech trees (with 253, I can have many). I want to use the same technique I believe @Knighttime mentioned he used in MM - basically making sure that one can't do an end run down the tree, so I'm going to have a series of "chokepoint" techs (1950s Tech, 1960s Tech, 1970s Tech, 1980s Tech) that is a prereq to the next stage of techs, but which is only given after a certain percentage (based on a counter) of the earlier decade's techs are researched. This way, one will not have a situation where they're using F15s to support M26 Pershings.

I'll use my 8 tech types for:

0 - The Big 3
1 - USA
2 - USSR
3 - Europe
4 - China
5 - Non-Aligned
6 - All
7 - None

I'm planning to have three main branches (with 9 sub-branches) which will have individual technologies:

Military Research (Air, Land, Sea) - Generally available to all though China and India's will look a bit different
Economic Research (Science, Industry, Finance) - Generally available to all
Government/Political Research (Internal, External, Espionage) - Espionage is open to all, but the internal and external will be distinct - for example, America dealing with Civil Rights, the Marshall Plan, the Truman Doctrine, etc.

@JPetroski Great work! Btw, I have updated the Kashin DDG (and modified Kashin) class to look more Fairline-ish.

Attachments

• Tanelorn Kashin versions.png
    Tanelorn Kashin versions.png
    3.5 KB · Views: 440
Top Bottom